Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Of course it doesn't all that happens next is all the prices go up accordingly, and their buy power remains the same. Maybe even less, as with additional income comes higher taxes.
Right! But I can't get anybody who wants this gigantic raise to respond to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
It does not seem you are in tune with what is happening in this country. You are right it used to be for high school kids because there used to be good paying factory jobs for people who were unskilled. Those jobs are all but gone so people now have to take whatever they can. Why we they should pay more well how about min wage has not kept up with inflation like it used to or that for people working these jobs it is their career.
walk into any fast food restaurant and take a good look at those working there: most are still very young kids, working their first jobs or unskilled young people. Nothing has prevented the unskilled from getting training to better themselves. And what makes you think min wage used to keep up with inflation?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:08 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This is what five years of Obamanomics have done to the country, people are so desperate for a job, they are trying to raise families off low skill, low wage, entry-level jobs.

In the era of Obama, jobs only teenagers traditional took, the adult job searchers are taking these dead end jobs, because they are desperate and scarping the bottom of the barrel.
The bolded part above is what I'm hearing so much - adults trying to raise families on minimum wage part-time jobs. I understand that people are desperate, but why have so many put themselves in the position of having children (an "adult" thing to do) while never moving beyond having the job skills of a 16 year old, and never aspiring to do more than that? Too many cases cited show a woman with 2-3 kids in such a position. Why the hell did she continue to pop out children with no means to support them? Having one is a mistake, have 2-3 or more is a plan to fail without a safety net.

Set the McJobs wage at $200 and hour for all I care. I rarely eat at such places and when a Happy Meal is on the $99 menu, I'll eat there even less. How long do these people think such wages will be supported by a customer base?

And back to the original thread title, why do minimum wage workers feel that they are in any position to "demand" anything? Moral outrage? I'm morally outraged that they're producing children that they cannot provide for and are turning to taxpayers (myself included) to feel, clothe, and educate their larvae. Entitlement? Well, I'm entitled to keep more of what *I* earn than is now happening under Lord Barak.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Michele Obama would like the idea of closing fast food restaurants.
It would play well to her public image, but she still has a private chef making her double bacon cheeseburgers as a midnight snack!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Don't these people understand basic economics that higher wages translates to higher prices, less customers and maybe no job at all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/bu...ties.html?_r=0
This is hilarious. Do these people really think they are going to be successful? And what if they were? What are those who are already making $15/hr (because they are worth it) likely to do? They will demand raises, because (after all) a hamburger flipper makes $15/hr, and that takes no skill.

This is just one reason why minimum wage laws are not only wrong, they are bad.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
If you have intelligence and money some people do not have that.
Welcome to reality. You are correct; some people do not have intelligence and money. This is natural, normal, and nothing that can be fixed by legislation. On the flip side, I've known some fairly unintelligent people - truly unintelligent, as in unable to learn at the same rate as others - who scratched out a pretty good life for themselves through hard work. There are other ways to improve your lot in life than an education, but they do involve being willing to do jobs that others are unwilling to do and putting in hours that others are unwilling to put in.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Food serves and retail have been the largest employment sectors, since the 80's.

Historically, most U.S. people have been employed in no/low skill jobs. For a blip in time, manufacturing/assembly jobs, if a union shop, gave people the ability to grasp the lower rungs of middle class. It was possible to own a modest home and save a few bucks. Global competition and technology changed all that. 15% off manufacturing jobs were eliminated between 2000-2010 due to technology.

If such jobs become $15/hr jobs, it makes a lot of sense for business owners to invest in technology instead of relying on people.
Well, I have experience in manufacturing and assembly, having worked for several small southern CA electronics companies. I have seen assembly line workers (and these were all non-union companies), who were paid well above minimum wage (because that type of work demands it) advanced to supervisory positions, and later to bottom rung management positions. It can, and it does, happen, and it doesn't require a union to make it happen.

As for myself, when I was first employed at the one company, I was hired as a "customer service" technician, and I earned an hourly rate that was well above minimuim wage. The title does not describe the job, which was to take Sales Orders from the Sales department, and gather the various components of the system the customer orderd, make any modifications necessary to meet the customers specific needs (we built a lot of 'specials'), test the system, get the Quality Control approval, and get it into shipping by the date promised.

From that position, I went into field service. I was required to travel.

After that, I became Lease Pool Administrator, and finally was promoted to the Marketing Department as Sales Administration Supervisor.

My jobs after that were also in the Marketing and Sales departments (lower level management). It didn't take a union for me to do this, and I was always given raises at review time.

The assumption that companies, without uninion representation for their employees, will treat them badly and not give them raises, is a complet myth, and a lie. This is what the Unions want you to think.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Working blue collar in mfg for 40 hours a week is not the same as no skill 20 hour a week work.
Even blue collar requires some skills.
This is true. And it also does not mean that one cannot advance. My father, who worked nearly his entire working life for Lincoln Electric Company in Cleveland (non union) worked on the factory floor in the begining, but advanced to the Pruchasing Department. He was in purchasing for many, many years, and earned an excellent salary and bonuses every year.

Lincoln Electric has a reputation for being a good company to work for. They did drive their employees; but, they paid them well.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not a supporter of fast food, we rarely eat it, but I do not want to see them go away either. They do serve a purpose and closing them down would have no impact on our Obesity problems. Here is an example: we spent a week in Canada recently, there was fast food everywhere and yet, I don't remember seeing anyone, other than a few tourists that was overweight. You can eat fast food and still eat healthy or you can forget the fast food and still be fat...We need to start accepting our poor eating habits on ourselves and not blame others.
Canada has free healthcare. I'm sure that goes some way to helping people keep in shape. If you can visit the doctor regularly and for free, problems are more likely to be caught early. Canada also doesn't have the same level of income disparity and much of the obesity in America relates to poorer people.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
If you have intelligence and money some people do not have that.
And people who are born blind will never be airline pilots ......it's called "life".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies