Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Canada has free healthcare. I'm sure that goes some way to helping people keep in shape. If you can visit the doctor regularly and for free, problems are more likely to be caught early. Canada also doesn't have the same level of income disparity and much of the obesity in America relates to poorer people.
The medical industry in Canada work for free ?

Why do so many people say "free" ?
Just because you don't pay for it doesn't mean it's free.
Someone else is paying the bills for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The medical industry in Canada work for free ?

Why do so many people say "free" ?
Just because you don't pay for it doesn't mean it's free.
Someone else is paying the bills for you.
It's a figure of speech. As if I don't know that but thanks for the lesson.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
If you have intelligence and money some people do not have that.
And those that don't can just work at Mickey D's and collect gov't subsidies. The truth is most of the population is not capable of working a STEM field or even being a highly skilled tradesperson. For a lot of people salting fries or pushing carts at Wallyworld is all they will ever get.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
It's a figure of speech. As if I don't know that but thanks for the lesson.
There's a lot of people that say that as a statement of fact.
They really do think it's free.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
If you have intelligence and money some people do not have that.
Money is not needed. Student loans, scholarships, work part-time during school year, f/t in summer, grants, etc..all cover that.

Had they not, this son of lower middle class parents would not have found college affordable.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
There's a lot of people that say that as a statement of fact.
They really do think it's free.
Well I'm not one of them.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
My son had to work Wed til 9pm and Friday had to be at work at 10am
He wasn't scheduled those hours though.

4 people quit because they couldn't get extra days off for Thanksgiving.
That was Wed morning last week.
The 4 positions have already been filled now and my son starts training them tomorrow when they start.
That's another thing liberals forget, the flexibility works on both sides. Workers at these jobs can walk off with the knowledge that a similar job is around the corner.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Canada has free healthcare. I'm sure that goes some way to helping people keep in shape. If you can visit the doctor regularly and for free, problems are more likely to be caught early. Canada also doesn't have the same level of income disparity and much of the obesity in America relates to poorer people.
OMG, how little you really know about their health care system: first of all, yes, it is free as far as not paying as you walk in or out of the door, but everyone still pays for it, what don't you understand about taxation? Add to that, how many people do you know in Canada? How many have you talked to about the system? How many do you know that have come to America for surgery because it takes so long to even see a doctor, not to mention get treatments? No, they do not get to see a doctor on a regular basis like we do, they often wait months just for an MRI or that c scar that spots the cancer earlier and can make a difference between life and death. Do you know about the age restrictions on some testing, about the kids, that if treated for some disabilities early can live close to a normal life, but if not treated will be disabled forever? How much of this do you know about?

Is their plan good for some people? Sure, every plan has good and bad. Our system isn't anywhere near perfect, but if you think Canadians just have access to doctors the way we do you need to really research this a little more and not depend on media hype>>. Again, I am not knocking their, I am telling you the other side, from talking to people, personally, who live there. oh, and how about the man, living in a major city who still has to drive over an hour for his radiation treatments because they have so few cancer treatments.
The only thing, you seem to have right is the connection between poverty and obesity.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, how little you really know about their health care system: first of all, yes, it is free as far as not paying as you walk in or out of the door, but everyone still pays for it, what don't you understand about taxation? Add to that, how many people do you know in Canada? How many have you talked to about the system? How many do you know that have come to America for surgery because it takes so long to even see a doctor, not to mention get treatments? No, they do not get to see a doctor on a regular basis like we do, they often wait months just for an MRI or that c scar that spots the cancer earlier and can make a difference between life and death. Do you know about the age restrictions on some testing, about the kids, that if treated for some disabilities early can live close to a normal life, but if not treated will be disabled forever? How much of this do you know about?

Is their plan good for some people? Sure, every plan has good and bad. Our system isn't anywhere near perfect, but if you think Canadians just have access to doctors the way we do you need to really research this a little more and not depend on media hype>>. Again, I am not knocking their, I am telling you the other side, from talking to people, personally, who live there. oh, and how about the man, living in a major city who still has to drive over an hour for his radiation treatments because they have so few cancer treatments.
The only thing, you seem to have right is the connection between poverty and obesity.
We already went over what "free healthcare" is (a figure of speech).

I come from a country with socialized/free healthcare or whatever you want to call it and I can tell you from experience that you've bought way too much into the scaremongering.

The system here works IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies