Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times

Advertisements

Your statistic supports Happy Texan's contention about union desperation.

The wage demand is also an attempt to circumvent the wage depressing effect of massive illegal immigration in low skill jobs.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-02-2013 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: flaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
These fools are but pawns for the SEIU.
An industry with a 75% turnover rate is not exactly prime fodder for the union.
Then again, if unionized, these workers are protected from "no call, no show" termination.
Union must be getting desperate for members.

The story behind America's fast food worker uprising | Arun Gupta | Comment is free | theguardian.com
At the same time, workers in Chicago say union organizers were responsive to demands for more input, resources and control. Sam says, "At the shop level we control the messaging, we control the tactics, we decide what we want to organize around, we motivate the strikers."
...there's little evidence of worker-to-worker organizing.
But SEIU also has a comprehensive national plan centered on the two public demands of $15-an-hour pay and the right to unionize free of intimidation.
That is baffling the unions would protect no call no show, if a co worker did that where I work I would be hot if they still had a job.

I think in the long run their is a chance the workers might get stiffed because they will not get any where near 15 bucks a hour. The workers could end up with 50 cents to a buck with the union promise of getting better money down the line. In the mean time those poor saps with their measly wage will stuff the coffers of the union. I have seen this take place before, that company did not pay squat and then they went union and are still paid squat. But their union, the pay is so low for hard steady work I would never take a job there.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I have never worked fast food, but I assume it's mostly part time work? $15 an hour isn't going to do much if you're only working 20 hours a week. You might as well keep the low wage since you get a array of govt subsidies to offset. Unfortunately low wage retail/fast food has replaced manufacturing and other unskilled jobs that once paid decently. You could have everyone go out and get a STEM degree and you would still have mass employment in McJobs.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I have never worked fast food, but I assume it's mostly part time work? $15 an hour isn't going to do much if you're only working 20 hours a week. You might as well keep the low wage since you get a array of govt subsidies to offset. Unfortunately low wage retail/fast food has replaced manufacturing and other unskilled jobs that once paid decently. You could have everyone go out and get a STEM degree and you would still have mass employment in McJobs.
It comes down to a philosophical debate of whether you favor corporate welfare over basic welfare programs. Do you feel wages should be kept down and supplemented with tax payer dollars, versus increasing wages and decreasing government subsidies for low paid workers? That's what it boils down to.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
That type of wage puts them just above FPL and would get them thrown out of the welfare programs.
They would lose a lot more than what that increased wage could cover.

IF they sat down and did the math they just might realize that.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That type of wage puts them just above FPL and would get them thrown out of the welfare programs.
They would lose a lot more than what that increased wage could cover.

IF they sat down and did the math they just might realize that.

I just wonder if people actually sit down and think about the whole picture before going out causing mayhem in the streets.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It comes down to a philosophical debate of whether you favor corporate welfare over basic welfare programs. Do you feel wages should be kept down and supplemented with tax payer dollars, versus increasing wages and decreasing government subsidies for low paid workers? That's what it boils down to.
No, it boils down to whether you believe people should be paid an arbitrary number for work that isn't worth it. It's called supply and demand in the labor market, and it's worked quite well for centuries. Why is it that every once in a while people want to start trying to fix something that isn't broken in the first place?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:03 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
No, it boils down to whether you believe people should be paid an arbitrary number for work that isn't worth it. It's called supply and demand in the labor market, and it's worked quite well for centuries. Why is it that every once in a while people want to start trying to fix something that isn't broken in the first place?
No it didn't "work quite well for centuries". Read up on the Gilded Age in this country before you start spouting off rhetoric like that.

I don't think the minimum wage should go up to $15.00/hr, at least not for the foreseeable future, though. I do think an increase to around $10.00/hr with annual increases connected to inflation would be very reasonable, though.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:07 AM

This corporate welfare argument gets me every time. Nobody is forcing someone to work at McDonalds or Walmart. If one wants to earn a higher wage then they need to get the skillset required to command one. There is absolutely no skill involved with salting fries or running a cash register that counts the change out for you.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Wow, the world must be awfully bleak in your mind. Good thing the rest of us are continuing to live our lives, see increases in our retirement accounts, tons of economic activity this past weekend, etc.
QE can't go on forever. Here's hoping you get to enjoy your retirement account before the inevitable crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies