Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Actually, you do need a background check to be president of the United States -.....
there is no official background check for POTUS outside of the campaign process. but the only things that would need to be checked are the presidential requirements 35, 14, NBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And despite it all, you do know of all these things!. Amazing how that works ain't it!
LOL! Yes, indeed. The truth was outed anyway.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The truth about O will eventually come out.

Probably around the time they release the JFK documents.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:50 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Many politicians will not be able to qualify for the CIA. They bad bad friends and history. They should be given a polygraph test on national TV, right before their first debate. Questions can be random.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Let's compare the two:

In one instance a person is checked for the absence of information. For example have the ever been convicted of a felony, adjudicated mentally defective or dishonorably discharged from the military.

That's it. No arrest information, no mention of psychological treatment, no drug test, no information from neighbors, kindergarden teachers, employment records or recommendation from the guy who fired you the day before, or the girl friend who dumped you or the wife who is denying you custody of your children.

On the other hand,

A person's complete biographical information is reviewed, their work history, family background, writings, speeches, statements, conversations are put under review. Any rumor, innuendo, or hint of a rumor is thrown up without the slightest regard for their veracity. Their taxes and finances are scrutinized, even their family members are examined, interviews and evaluated for fitness.

Maybe a better question might be, why don't prospective gun owners get at least a fraction of the attention as people running for office?

I can't believe I read that. How can you compare a prospective gun buyer to an idiot who can make executive orders affecting anyone on earth?

2A - shall not be infringed. That's in writing. You don't legally have to show anything to purchase a firearm...proof that law has been broken too many times. All bills passed concerning firearms could be struck down tomorrow if the correct person brought it before a federal court. Trey Gowdy would be perfect. He should be AG.

Vetting a presidential candidate isn't enumerated so they can make that fool jump through hoops backwards if they want. The only requirements are that you are a natural born citizen, live here and be at least 35 years of age. Anything other than that is up for grabs.

If anything, a presidential candidate should go through much more rigorous vetting than they do now. I suspect it will come to be in 2016.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I can't believe I read that. How can you compare a prospective gun buyer to an idiot who can make executive orders affecting anyone on earth?
I didn't the bloody OP did! My point throughout the thread is that whatever vetting goes along with gun ownership is nothing compared to the public "vetting" of a presidential candidate. That is the exact opposite of what the OP was implying.

Quote:
If anything, a presidential candidate should go through much more rigorous vetting than they do now. I suspect it will come to be in 2016.
Ah, they do that's the whole freaking point!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
What freaking scrutiny do you come under?
Even by C-D standards this is a incredibly stupid thread.
Quote:
Quote:
The thread isn't about who voters choose to vote for or what information they find important but the inane argument that politicians aren't "vetted" which is absurd by any standard.
Quote:
Some cover-up since every nut job and their mother keep repeating them over and over again.

Guess what folks, everybody knows and Americans either didn't care or like that vast majority of sane people in both parties KNEW that they were just a load of horse manure.

Sane people need not reply.
Quote:
I didn't the bloody OP did!

Ah, they do that's the whole freaking point!
Dear me, you are an angry poster. Such vitriol, and negativity. If it is such a dumb thread,
why have you commented 7 times (tied for most posts)??? I think you may be one of those
''nattering nabobs of negativity''.

On the other hand, keep posting, you are helping keep this thread alive.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
What freaking scrutiny do you come under?

You want to buy a gun your name and SSN is queried, if your name doesn't come up as a convicted felony you are good to go!

Now I am no lover of the "elites" but please tell me the last time a normal Joe, or Jane such as yourself had photographers and reporters following you around, searching Lexis for anything and everything that has ever been written or said about you or that you have yourself written or read?

Even by C-D standards this is a incredibly stupid thread.
Many of the antics by our members in the Congress, if they were in the military, would get their security clearances revoked, they'd be demoted, discharged from the service or tossed in prison. If they were in the private sector, if the president was a CEO of a corporation and lied as they do, or played loose and free with statutory laws and IRS regulations, they'd be sitting in a prison. These politicians do think they are above the law, they sure as hell don't think they should be held to the same standards as we who are a part of the lowly masses.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:16 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Simple question, any takers?

buy private, no background check needed. I have owned well over 300 firearms in my lifetime and none of the firearms I have owned have ever had a 4473 or background attached to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Let's compare the two:

In one instance a person is checked for the absence of information. For example have the ever been convicted of a felony, adjudicated mentally defective or dishonorably discharged from the military.

That's it. No arrest information, no mention of psychological treatment, no drug test, no information from neighbors, kindergarden teachers, employment records or recommendation from the guy who fired you the day before, or the girl friend who dumped you or the wife who is denying you custody of your children.

On the other hand,

A person's complete biographical information is reviewed, their work history, family background, writings, speeches, statements, conversations are put under review. Any rumor, innuendo, or hint of a rumor is thrown up without the slightest regard for their veracity. Their taxes and finances are scrutinized, even their family members are examined, interviews and evaluated for fitness.

Maybe a better question might be, why don't prospective gun owners get at least a fraction of the attention as people running for office?
Well except if you are Sarah Palin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies