Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Just curious.

We post all of these links constantly to either incite argument or prove a point. So...my question is as follows.....Has this forum or a thread on this forum ever changed your political opinion as a whole or on a particular issue?
Yes it has shown me liberals only name call hate and are the most intolerant anti constitutional racist people . I at one time believed liberals were capable of genuine talk on issues , clearly from this board I see the true hate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well, I can say that the only thing it has solidfied is my further disdain for the 2 main parties.
I don't feel disdain for them. I feel awed that our country functions as well as it does, given the extreme viewpoints that are shared on this forum. I am overwhelmed with respect for many of our elected representatives, who show patience and respect in the face of the many strange and outrageous suggestions that people make.

I've found many people who are very far apart on the political spectrum, but who support their positions with intelligent and cogent argument. And I thank every one of them for putting forth the effort and thought to post on this forum.

I can't say whether the posts on this forum have ever CHANGED my political opinion. Because what does that mean? My opinion on current events and issues is based on my evaluation of the facts as they become known. And as new information becomes available, my opinions are modified. Different posters from all areas of the political spectrum are sources for new information, so in that sense the different posts influence my opinions as they are formed. But they don't change who I am, or my values, which is the source of my opinions and positions.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Just curious.

We post all of these links constantly to either incite argument or prove a point. So...my question is as follows.....Has this forum or a thread on this forum ever changed your political opinion as a whole or on a particular issue?
Yes. It makes me realize how endagered our Liberty and Freedom is, how valuable it is and worth fighting for, and I have therefore become even more conservative, and have taken on more of an activist role in preserving Liberty, and our Capitlalist system.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
There has been some good information posted to this forum on various topics. As such, I don't know how someone could read threads here for a while and not learn some things.

You just have to weed through the garbage of name calling and of course all the outright lies and slanted "information" from both sides. Ignore helps.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Just curious.

I'm not sure you are aware of the purpose of P&OC. It was never meant to change anyone's opinion. It was created to be an echo chamber for the like minded while simultaneously allowing you to attack someone else's opinion or belief because you can.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Quote:
I came to the realization that this country has taken a sharp turn into party
first instead of country first.
This raises an interesting question about the definition of "country". What truly defines a country/nation? Is it not congruent goals, values, and interests?

I would hold that these are much more accurate defining characteristics of a nation than is increasingly meaningless geographical boundary. Therefore, "party first", especially in a country such as ours wherein the interparty rift is so extremely wide, is merely the more natural expression of "country (nation) first".

Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I'm not sure you are aware of the purpose of P&OC. It was never meant to change anyone's opinion. It was created to be an echo chamber for the like minded while simultaneously allowing you to attack someone else's opinion or belief because you can.
And it's also important to remember that what is posted here is not a true reflection of the nation at large. We are the political junkies, and as such, we have strong views on all things political. But when you leave this board and go out into the real world, you find that the majority of people don't inhabit the extreme edges, but reside somewhere in the middle on most issues. And most of them are not aware of and don't care about the minutia of every issue, which is the stock in trade of any political board.

Remembering that actually keeps me feeling much more optimistic.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
His desire to win in 2008, 2012, and leave a good legacy were not bogus.
He may have been elected in 2008 and 2012, but he failed dismally with his legacy. There has been no worse President in the history of the US.
Quote:
Imagine if Obama supporters had integrity and stood for principle not a politician. They could have taken away all 3 of those -- forcing a great 1st term that didn't look like Bush III.
Imagine if the moon were made from green cheese.

Obama supporters, by definition, cannot have integrity, honor, or principle.
Quote:
Are you serious? You proved your point invalid.

The promise was that Obama would post the bills online for 5 days before he signed them into law. As you point out, after congress passes a bill, the president has 10 calendar days (not including Sundays) to either sign the bill, veto it, or let it take effect without his signature...plenty of time for Obama to post it online for 5 days of public discussion.
Public discussion? Seriously? It is already law, so what is to discuss?

If people were not so civically illiterate they would go online and read the legislation before it is passed at the Library of Congress on the Thomas Jefferson server. By the way, all legislation is already available to the general public, and for a lot longer than a mere 5 days.

Obama's promises were completely bogus, and he knew it. It only fooled those who do not know anything about how their own government functions. Like those who think a President can post a law online after Congress passes it for "public discussion."

Quote:
Obama broke this promise on his very 1st bill -- showing that he never intended to keep this promise anyways...his supporters didn't care. With far too many democrats we see Obama > Principle
It has been well known for generations that Democrats are without honor, integrity, or principles. Tell us something we did not know.
Quote:
Well your rant against Democrats is a bit off, as both parties do this to some extent, just never even half as bad as with Obama supporters in my lifetime.

If Obama supporters had integrity and principles...they could have forced Obama into action or denied him 2008, 2012, and his legacy...(his legacy is tarnished through his constant lying, not knowing, and Bush III policies anyways now)
Obama's legacy is one of deceit and dishonor. The only good thing anyone can say about Obama's presidency is that Carter is no longer the worst and most incompetent President in US history.

Last edited by Glitch; 12-03-2013 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If may have been elected in 2008 and 2012, but he failed dismally with his legacy. There has been no worse President in the history of the US.
Imagine if the moon were made from green cheese.

Obama supporters, by definition, cannot have integrity, honor, or principle.

Public discussion? Seriously? It is already law, so what is to discuss?

If people were not so civically illiterate they would go online and read the legislation before it is passed at the Library of Congress on the Thomas Jefferson server. By the way, all legislation is already available to the general public, and for a lot longer than a mere 5 days.

Obama's promises were completely bogus, and he knew it. It only fooled those who do not know anything about how their own government functions. Like those who think a President can post a law online after Congress passes it for "public discussion."

It has been well known for generations that Democrats are without honor, integrity, or principles. Tell us something we did not know.

Obama's legacy is one of deceit and dishonor. The only good thing anyone can say about Obama's presidency is that Carter is no longer the worst and most incompetent President in US history.
James Buchanan. I think you are looking for that as being the worst president ever. Anything else just makes you emotional.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
If you go back to 2005 Republicans were saying Democrats hate our nation. Now it is reversed.
No, it has not reversed. Democrats have always hated the US, since their inception in 1828. Every effort Democrats have made in the last 185 years has been toward accomplishing one goal, and only one goal - the utter destruction of the US.

Democrats almost succeeded when they started the Civil War. After Democrats lost the Civil War they created domestic terrorist organizations, like the KKK. To this very day Democrats continue to sponsor terrorism against the US, both domestically and from foreign sources. Which is why Democrats were dancing in the streets after the 09/11/2001 attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies