Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times

Advertisements

If someone wishing you Happy Holidays makes you hostile, then you completely missed the point Jesus was trying to make.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude 80 View Post
Christmas is a Christian holiday to celebrate the birth of the Christ child. As a Jew we do not celebrate Christmas.

Winter solstice (Dec 21) or Saturnalia or any of that nonsense Pagan have nothing to do with Christmas Day. Let's not be arrogant.

Every single person on Earth think about Jesus or Christianity when it comes to Christmas.

Now... Is there a war on Christmas? Not really because everything basically shuts down on the national holiday even in NYC with large Jewish and religious minorities. However, there is too much "holiday" term when it refers to Christmas especially in the United States, and to lesser extent in Canada.
What is funny is that Sears signage says "Happy Holidays" in English but "Feliz Navidad" in Spanish. As a Jew I must admit that it is ridiculous.

In Great Britain, Australia and other English-speaking countries it is always "Christmas."
Even atheists in GB and Australia wishes "Merry Christmas." I don't know why but maybe perhaps because 'holiday' means 'vacation' in British English.
And ON Christmas eve or Christmas day, "Merry Christmas" is perfectly fine. However, crying because someone say "Happy Holidays" any time from Thanksgiving to Christmas is nothing but a faux persecution complex as there are many different holidays in the winter season.

And I can guarantee that not "Every single person on Earth think about Jesus or Christianity when it comes to Christmas." as I am a person and Jesus has noting to do with how I celebrate Christmas, and doesn't even enter my mind during my celebrations.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
This is so confusing!

Am I allowed to celebrate Christmas? Or do I have to meet certain strict requirements set forth by certain C-D members in order to do so?

Can I say Merry Christmas even if I am not Christian? Or do I have to use Happy Holidays at all times?

If I am not Christian and still have a Christmas tree, am I allowed to call it that or do I need to call it Holiday Tree, Yule Tree, X-mas Tree, or something else altogether?

Oh, I know! How about we let people celebrate (or not) what and however they want. Wouldn't that be something? That would almost be like recognizing that, in this great country, we are all different and we are all allowed to be whatever we are without others ostracizing us because of it.

I don't give a flying you-know-what whether you honor Jeebus with your tree or not, whether you think a Christmas Tree is an affront to Christianity because of its Pagan origins, whether you wish me Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, or Have a great day.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And ON Christmas eve or Christmas day, "Merry Christmas" is perfectly fine. However, crying because someone say "Happy Holidays" any time from Thanksgiving to Christmas is nothing but a faux persecution complex as there are many different holidays in the winter season.

And I can guarantee that not "Every single person on Earth think about Jesus or Christianity when it comes to Christmas." as I am a person and Jesus has noting to do with how I celebrate Christmas, and doesn't even enter my mind during my celebrations.
Happy fake Christmas.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Happy fake Christmas.
You too.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
Anyone got an update on this years War on Christmas. How many wounded, KIA and MIA so far?

Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Anyone got an update on this years War on Christmas. How many wounded, KIA and MIA so far?
I heard that Frosty the snowman, and a platoon of elves were taken out at the local mall on Black Friday.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Happy fake Christmas.
Christmas! You're doing it wrong.

Man, could someone please post guidelines detailing how to correctly celebrate Christmas, including what thoughts and sentiments people need to have?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I heard that Frosty the snowman, and a platoon of elves were taken out at the local mall on Black Friday.
Darn. I'd recommend Santa procure some body armor for the illegal home entry that he's planning later this month.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
The prisoners of war are taken to the North Pole, to work in Santa's sweatshops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies