Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 04:58 PM
eok eok started this thread

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times

Advertisements

Our present judicial system attracts dishonest people to the legal profession. It needs to be changed to a system whose primary goals are truth and honesty. The primary goal of a criminal lawyer should be to keep his client from being wrongly convicted, slandered, etc. Not to help his client get off on technicalities. A client who is rightfully convicted should be considered to have been served well by his lawyer, because he got what he deserved. The primary job of a lawyer should be to help get what his client deserves.

To make it work fairly to everyone, all lawyers should be employees of the court, and paid out of taxes. They should be constantly monitored for honesty, and fired whenever found to be dishonest.

The biggest problems of this scheme are: (1) How would we get it past the politicians, who tend to be dishonest lawyers? (2) What would we do with all the dishonest lawyers who would no longer have work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Our present judicial system attracts dishonest people to the legal profession. It needs to be changed to a system whose primary goals are truth and honesty. The primary goal of a criminal lawyer should be to keep his client from being wrongly convicted, slandered, etc. Not to help his client get off on technicalities. A client who is rightfully convicted should be considered to have been served well by his lawyer, because he got what he deserved. The primary job of a lawyer should be to help get what his client deserves.

To make it work fairly to everyone, all lawyers should be employees of the court, and paid out of taxes.
I have a feeling that if you are ever wrongly charged with something you are going to want more than a lawyer being paid out of taxes.

As a second point.......why should I have to pay to defend a Bernie Madoff? I should have more taken out of my paycheck so that Bernie could keep his?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Lawyers are officers of the court.

In my experience, that is a bad thing.

Like Hillary Clinton said, "You can't BE a lawyer without representing the banks."

Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:

To make it work fairly to everyone, all lawyers should be employees of the court, and paid out of taxes. They should be constantly monitored for honesty, and fired whenever found to be dishonest.

The biggest problems of this scheme are: (1) How would we get it past the politicians, who tend to be dishonest lawyers? (2) What would we do with all the dishonest lawyers who would no longer have work?
Welfare for lawyers?

Oh, gawd.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:

The same can be said of a lot of system if one wants to. humans;pure and simple.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:

Quote:
How do you hire someone when your requirement disqualifies every applicant?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
I thought I got lucky, My choice was an attorney. Damn! She was honest!

That said, I get it.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:

Well public defenders are paid by the taxpayers. What you call "technicalities" are actually laws. I don't understand what you are asking for? Forcing everyone to just be given a court appointed attorney? Hell I would defend myself if that were the case. Or would that be against the law in your world too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies