Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:53 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times

Advertisements

As someone on the outside of the Conservative bubble, that's what it looks like to me.

If I'm wrong, then perhaps someone can point me to a time when the Conservative media came out against an act of racism directed at any minority person or group -- Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Middle Easterners, etc...

Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
To be fair, most everyone in the mainstream condemns very obvious racism.

On the other hand, if some one makes bigoted (or stupid comments like legitimate rape) comments there are very few repercussions. Certainly when the person is higher up the food chain many conservative media outlets either ignore it when it happens...or claim anyone who points that out is being mean.

Dog whistles are never really addressed, like "Family Values" politicians making extremely homophobic and mysoginistic statements, welfare queen's while addressing minorities on welfare, "international bankers" (Jews), terrorist (Muslim) or illegals as any latino person. People use it, and it is stupifying to watch people use these dog whistles and unless they have a shirt saying the love the apartied or kill minorities...they will never get called on it by other conservatives.

Which is why Birtherism is still around, or the Park51 insanity happened, or Sharron Angle tried to get Latino votes after portrying all Latinos as illegals by saying a room full of Latino kids "looked a bit Asian to her, " or Tom Tancredo kept his job after saying blacks can't read and the US should drop a nuke on Mecca.

Last edited by EmeraldCityWanderer; 12-04-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 PM

525 posts, read 508,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
As someone on the outside of the Conservative bubble, that's what it looks like to me.

If I'm wrong, then perhaps someone can point me to a time when the Conservative media came out against an act of racism directed at any minority person or group -- Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Middle Easterners, etc...
Mehhhhhh....This is a bit of a mischaracterization. Racists, bigots, homophobes exist at every end of the political spectrum. People "tolerate" politicians and candidates that they see as beneficial to their cause. Bill O'Reilly, whom I'm NO fan of, has been critical of racism throughout various points in his career.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:

Define "act of racism" please.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
How about today's klantastic Deal of the Day on World Net Daily
"White Girl Bleed a Lot: Sensational exposé documents growing race riots throughout America"

But don't dare call them racists.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yes, this is the sticking point.

I think the problem with conservatives coming out against racism, is the definition of racism. Such as when Sotomayor threw out the promotions of white and hispanic firefighters when black firefighters failed the exam. Even though the black firefighters had received test prep assistance at the fire department's expense that the white firefighters did not receive. A conservative not publicly supporting that is not an indication of racism. It's that the conservative doesn't consider one person passing a test and another person failing a test a case of racism.

I think a lot of the race issue comes down to that. The liberal considers X to be an act of racism, so when the conservative doesn't condemn it the liberal assumes the conservative is racist. The notion that the conservative just doesn't see X as racism to begin with doesn't enter the picture.

I saw a clip of one of the liberal talk shows where someone claimed the Tea Party was racist. When asked how he knew, the man responded that he didn't see many black faces at the gathering. So to him, if black people didn't show up for the rally that was evidence that the people at the rally were racists.

Conservatives do not believe in ensuring equal outcomes. Therefore, disparate outcomes are not evidence of racism to a conservative and the conservative will not come out publicly against them. But the liberal jumps to the conclusion that the conservative supports racism rather than accepting that they have a difference of opinion over what constitutes racism. You can see that also with the Trayvon Martin case. No conservative said "yes, this was a racist hate crime, but I'm cool with that". What they said was that race wasn't involved.

There's a huge difference between condoning racism and not agreeing that racism occurred.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:38 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:

What example can you point to? Are you just killing time by typing baseless nonsense?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Is all those kids knocking down / assaulting whites and Jews a display of racism ?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes, this is the sticking point.

I think the problem with conservatives coming out against racism, is the definition of racism. Such as when Sotomayor threw out the promotions of white and hispanic firefighters when black firefighters failed the exam. Even though the black firefighters had received test prep assistance at the fire department's expense that the white firefighters did not receive. A conservative not publicly supporting that is not an indication of racism. It's that the conservative doesn't consider one person passing a test and another person failing a test a case of racism.

I think a lot of the race issue comes down to that. The liberal considers X to be an act of racism, so when the conservative doesn't condemn it the liberal assumes the conservative is racist. The notion that the conservative just doesn't see X as racism to begin with doesn't enter the picture.

I saw a clip of one of the liberal talk shows where someone claimed the Tea Party was racist. When asked how he knew, the man responded that he didn't see many black faces at the gathering. So to him, if black people didn't show up for the rally that was evidence that the people at the rally were racists.

Conservatives do not believe in ensuring equal outcomes. Therefore, disparate outcomes are not evidence of racism to a conservative and the conservative will not come out publicly against them. But the liberal jumps to the conclusion that the conservative supports racism rather than accepting that they have a difference of opinion over what constitutes racism. You can see that also with the Trayvon Martin case. No conservative said "yes, this was a racist hate crime, but I'm cool with that". What they said was that race wasn't involved.

There's a huge difference between condoning racism and not agreeing that racism occurred.
Well said.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
in other threads on this type of thing, many conservatives have posted they don't really "believe" blacks and other minorities are targeted by police. if minorities would only put their hands up and be more friendly cops wouldn't bother them. some who do believe it happens assume it really isn't as bad as reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies