Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 PM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
975 New SSDI Recipients a Day for Four Years | Opinion - Conservative

In February 2009, the first full month after President Barack Obama took office, there were 7,469,240 workers collecting federal disability insurance. ( 10,982,920 today)

So Obama's presidency has added a third of the entire population of Greece.
Since Obama declared the "recovery" began:

-Social Security Disability increased by millions of people to an all time record.

-Labor Participation dropped.

-Labor participation for 25 to 54 year olds dropped.

-Median household income dropped.

-Ratio of Full Time jobs in the workforce has dropped.

-Food Stamps have increased by millions to an all time high.

-Poverty Rate had increased.

-QE economic stimulus has increased to creating a new $85 Billion a month

Help save me from Obama's recovery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I am sure you are one of those persons who supports American manufacturers who employ American workers by buying American made products.

Too many Americans complain about lack of jobs for our workers yet continue to buy foreign made products.

The last time I checked the Obama manufacturing corp. was not outsourcing jobs to China so you can't really blame him on so many being unemployed.
Do you think Obama's policies, the regulations his admin agencies create and the laws he passes, and the way he keeps modifying or laws on the fly, exist in a vacuum?

Obama is a destabilizing force on our economy. business owners cannot even look a year down the road and assume the laws and regulations in this country will remain as written, because Obama has shown that the law is only what he says it is,. and he can change it on a whim at any moment.

Year after year, Obama has pounded the podium, chastising the wealth creators for "not paying their fair share" in this country, and calling for new changes in the tax and regulatory code to extract more wealth from them. This causes further angst and instability, and further erodes the incentive to risk investments in the private sector.

Communist China looks like a more stable place to do business, and businesses are not waiting around to see what new burdensome and costly mandates and regulations will be forced upon them by this president, and they are moving off shore.

Quote:
As far as so many on disability ins. I was one of those persons 10 years ago when do to physical limitations I could not longer do the work I had been doing for 40 years.
That's 40 years without ever collecting unemployment ins. because as a business owner I was not allowed even though I had to pay into the system.
Even though I collected Disability I worked legally at a lower paying job to make ends meet.
The poor economy all by itself encourages unemployed people to go on federal disability insurance

Quote:
I am not completely happy with Obama but the righties seem to blame him for everything they can think of.
He has plenty to be blamed for, the ACA all by itself has been a very destructive bull in the US china shop. Besides the green energy sector, where Obama is the biggest crony capitalist we've ever had, he's the most unfriendly president to the private business sector that I think we've ever had.

Quote:
The stock market just took a dip the last three days. Must be Obama's fault.

Let's just stop buying foreign made products and put Americans back to work paying taxes so we can afford to pay those unfortunate American workers who can no longer compete in the work force.
Once the QE3 ends or slows, then you will see a huge drop in the charade that we call a stock market.

Speaking of foreign made, it's curious how 90% of the Obama campaign stickers I see are on autos manufactured by foreign owned corporations.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
Yep.

I know a few people who get it too:

A guy I used to know got SSDI in less than four months. He's almost retirement age. I don't know the particulars, but his heart gave out, he was in the hospital for three months, and ended up getting two heart operations. He also has COPD and is on oxygen. He is essentially an invalid and, as he well should have, got SSDI in a couple of months with no problem.

A woman who lived next door to me for awhile got on SSDI for being bipolar. She's never held a job in her life, has been in and out of the hospital for years, and is famous throughout town (including with the police department) for being a holy terror everywhere she goes. It took her a couple of years to get SSDI.

A guy who used to date a friend of mine also got it for being "bipolar". He quit his high-paying job and filed for SSDI about a week later. He got it with no trouble in less than four months. As soon as he did, he ditched my friend and took off to Florida to live with some woman he met on Facebook and renovate condominiums. It seems to me that if he can travel cross-country by himself and renovate condominiums, he should not be on SSDI.

Another lady has congestive heart failure and no legs. It took her over two years to get SSDI. But the SSA just won't leave her alone. Seems like every five minutes, the SSA is sending her to another of their doctors... to verify she has no legs. What do they think she's going to do? Grow a pair?

This leads me to conclude that 1) policies and procedures vary with no rhyme or reason whatsoever within the SSA, 2) that not only is claimant fraud a problem, so is gross incompetence and waste within the SSA organization itself. If the SSA wants to look at ways to save money and eliminate unnecessary expenditures, that's all well and good, but it would be a good idea to START WITH THEMSELVES.
We see this all the time, there are so many people on these federal welfare programs who don't belong on them, or abuse the system, that those who truly need the assistance get under-served.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Lucky you for never having encountered another human being who suffers from clinical depression. Depression is a medical condition, just like any other.

Love how you brought a touch of sexism into your post too. Classy!
Sexism?

From http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...503161338.htm:

"Women were more likely to have any of the disorders than men; 6.4 percent of women and 3 percent of men had mood disorders, 14.7 percent of women and 7.6 percent of men had anxiety disorders, and 3.7 of women and 1.6 percent of men had both."

People are too quick to assume racism and sexism these days. It's so politically correct to oppose stereotypes these days that people deny/forget that many stereotypes got to be stereotypes in the first place because they are true.

Immediately judging any individual black man to be a violent criminal upon first encounter is racist profiling. But saying violent criminals are more likely to be black isn't racist. It's true.

If someone is claiming disability due to a mood disorder it is doubly likely that person is female. That's not sexism, that's fact.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
I am sure you are one of those persons who supports American manufacturers who employ American workers by buying American made products.

Too many Americans complain about lack of jobs for our workers yet continue to buy foreign made products.
It's true that the average American will complain about outsourcing while talking on a phone, wearing clothes, and driving a car all imported from another country.

However, there's nothing wrong with that. The function of the consumer in a healthy market is to buy the best quality goods at the lowest possible prices. There is nothing inconsistent or hypocritical about it.

Telling consumers to buy American is simply a copout for not telling politicians to create a better business environment. It was government that created the environment where it is cheaper to import goods and sell them here than to produce them here in the first place. Consumers can't change that - it goes against human nature. Expecting people on limited budgets to purposely overpay for goods is futile. People won't do it.
Quote:
The last time I checked the Obama manufacturing corp. was not outsourcing jobs to China so you can't really blame him on so many being unemployed.
Sure you can. The man Obama appointed to head his jobs and competitiveness board was a man who:
1. Tried to get incandescent lightbulbs banned when his company was a major producer of florescent bulbs
2. Escaped paying corporate taxes by parking profits offshore
3. Put thousands upon thousands of Americans out of work by sending their jobs overseas

Obama has made countless speeches about jobs, but done nothing. He's done a lot to promote healthcare, green energy, raising taxes on the rich, and immigration. What has he done to promote job growth? Nothing. He's introduced new regulations, proposed higher minimum wage, mandated additional benefits, redefined full time work from 40 hours to 30 hours, closed federal lands for energy exploitation, etc. He did all this during a time when the nation was trying to recover from a recession.

Obama appointed a bipartisan commission to recommend ways to improve the economy. He then promptly ignored every single one of their recommendations. Every one of them.

It's absurd to say you can't blame Obama for lack of jobs.
Quote:
As far as so many on disability ins. I was one of those persons 10 years ago when do to physical limitations I could not longer do the work I had been doing for 40 years.
That's 40 years without ever collecting unemployment ins. because as a business owner I was not allowed even though I had to pay into the system.
Even though I collected Disability I worked legally at a lower paying job to make ends meet.
I'm not sure what point you're making about people on disability. Are you trying to say because you were on it legitimately that means there isn't fraud and abuse of the system?
Quote:
I am not completely happy with Obama but the righties seem to blame him for everything they can think of.
Did you sleep through 2009 - 2012 where Obama and the Democrats blamed Bush and the Republicans for everything?
Quote:
The stock market just took a dip the last three days. Must be Obama's fault.
And the collapse of the housing market was Bush's fault. Despite it being the inevitable result of the housing bubble caused by policies enacted by Clinton, leftists all blamed Bush for it.
Quote:
Let's just stop buying foreign made products and put Americans back to work paying taxes so we can afford to pay those unfortunate American workers who can no longer compete in the work force.
Let's not rely on impossible fantasies like convincing tens of millions of consumers to all go against the natural human tendency to buy products at the cheapest price available and instead pursue a realistic and attainable strategy of improving the American business climate so that companies can realize the gains of increased American productivity and lower shipping costs instead of making the tax and regulatory burden so high that those gains evaporate and it becomes cheaper to import goods than make them here.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Once they can claim this or that disorder -- something like adult ADD and be given generous welfare handouts, they drop out of the unemployed group and that helps the statistics and makes Obama look great.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
See bolded. If she never held a job she does not and will not ever qualify for SSDI.
No legs does not qualify for SSDI. One must be unemployable. Sit down jobs are available in the millions. However the heart issue could qualify this person in tandem with the missing legs.
Not SSDI, but never working will get her SSI --- and very easily lately. Disability has become a huge scam. Plenty of able bodied but very lazy types are getting SSI if they never worked and SSDI if they did work.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'm surprised. I would have thought most disability cases would be related to obesity (such as diabetes, etc.).

Big Pharma won't be happy until everybody in the U.S. has a "disease".
Yes - and there are more people on anti-depressants and all kinds of drugs than ever --- but obviously the drugs aren't helping them if they're all going to end up laying around never doing anything useful.

If the drugs can't get their depression cured enough to work, then they're a waste of taxpayer dollars. In the past there were fewer drugs to treat depression, but also many fewer depressed people laying around on government handouts.

Liberals need to start realizing that work isn't a bad thing. Jobs and work are therapeutic -- better than drugs. Jobs and work would be a much better social program than all the free drugs and big welfare handouts.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Sexism?

From http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...503161338.htm:

"Women were more likely to have any of the disorders than men; 6.4 percent of women and 3 percent of men had mood disorders, 14.7 percent of women and 7.6 percent of men had anxiety disorders, and 3.7 of women and 1.6 percent of men had both."

People are too quick to assume racism and sexism these days. It's so politically correct to oppose stereotypes these days that people deny/forget that many stereotypes got to be stereotypes in the first place because they are true.

Immediately judging any individual black man to be a violent criminal upon first encounter is racist profiling. But saying violent criminals are more likely to be black isn't racist. It's true.

If someone is claiming disability due to a mood disorder it is doubly likely that person is female. That's not sexism, that's fact.
I wasn't arguing with the facts. I was arguing that perhaps it was sexist to first say that most of these people are female and then continue on to say how lazy women are. In other words, it wasn't the first part of that user's post that was sexist. It was the second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies