Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,477,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes,

And I accept it, as the cost is still primarily born on the person doing the action. Its a small price for the ability to do what I want.
But you will lose the ability to do what you want.

See, it's the same folks who want socialized medicine who also want to regulate your life. The people who want to ban smoking, ban happy meals, ban salt, and ban large sodas are the same people who are supporting Obamacare. You vote for them to get your socialized medicine, you are also voting for them to tell you what you can eat and drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,284,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
??? With the advent of Obamacare, the first thing I'd ban would be alcohol. According to the CDC there are 80,000 deaths from alcohol each year.
CDC - Fact Sheets-Alcohol Use And Health - Alcohol

'Assault weapons' are involved in about 350 deaths per year. Let's ban booze and keep assault weapons!
Yeah, that didn't work the first time, not gonna work the second time, and I still don't buy it. You are clearly being disingenuine about this.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 AM

15,675 posts, read 10,458,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
But you will lose the ability to do what you want.

See, it's the same folks who want socialized medicine who also want to regulate your life. The people who want to ban smoking, ban happy meals, ban salt, and ban large sodas are the same people who are supporting Obamacare. You vote for them to get your socialized medicine, you are also voting for them to tell you what you can eat and drink.
So few Americans seem to understand what you have written, kidkaos. Dictating what we eat, drink, or say for our own good, no doubt, is just the beginning for those who seek to control our lives.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
So few Americans seem to understand what you have written, kidkaos. Dictating what we eat, drink, or say for our own good, no doubt, is just the beginning for those who seek to control our lives.
Actually I prefer to have more honesty in the food we eat, too often we end up consuming foods that are actually bad for our bodies without not knowing it is bad for us. The more people educate themselves, the better choices they can make, but I have no problem with telling those that make food what they can and cannot do to our food and drink.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I prefer to have more honesty in the food we eat, too often we end up consuming foods that are actually bad for our bodies without not knowing it is bad for us. The more people educate themselves, the better choices they can make, but I have no problem with telling those that make food what they can and cannot do to our food and drink.
Who are YOU to tell me or anyone else what I can or cannot eat, drink, say, or do? You don't pay my bills. You didn't earn my paycheck.

I see no difference between those who wish to regulate an adult's sex life and those who wish to control an adult's lunch menu. The arrogance of some people is astounding.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Who are YOU to tell me or anyone else what I can or cannot eat, drink, say, or do? You don't pay my bills. You didn't earn my paycheck.

I see no difference between those who wish to regulate an adult's sex life and those who wish to control an adult's lunch menu. The arrogance of some people is astounding.
I am not telling you what you can and cannot eat, I am educating you on what is good and bad to eat and want to reduce bad things that are made in food and drinks that are hidden within products that people don't realize what is bad for them.

If you want to shove gut busting fast food into your belly day in and day out, that is up to you, but you should have the education to know the damages it is doing to you.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM

We often act in ways we think are in our best interest but actually aren’t. Education is key to making good choices. I agree with you there, urban. But if we begin to accept the legislation of personal choice as a legitimate function of government there is absolutely no area of our personal lives that supercilious bureaucrats cannot try to dictate.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,978,187 times
Quote:
lol. How it is "untruthful?" I'm just offering my opinion. Are you trying to say I really do not believe that I believe this. IOW you're capable of reading my mind????

You don't offer any real argument, just name-calling--"brain-damaged," "hard leftist" (now that one stings)--so I won't respond to that.

But you are wrong about the cost of health care being unrelated to behavior. According to the CDC, 75% of health care costs are do to "chronic disease" which is largely preventable, i.e. due to behavior. Mostly diet, alcohol, tobacco, and lack of activity.
CDC - Chronic Disease - Overview

I'm in my late 50's, don't drink/drug/smoke, and run marathons. The only medical care I've ever really needed in my adult life was about 20 years ago when I got precautionary x-rays after a motorcycle accident. File that under 'behavior,' btw.
I actually agree with you here......people need to keep their selves in check with weight. I do believe the medical field does not address this simple problem due to loss of income. If people knew hormone balance, ph balance and exercise cure most all aliments the doctors would go broke. I'm not saying doctors are scamming just saying, seems, "a pill or psychiatrist a day" is what keeps the doctor away!

On another subject.......there's no known connection to pot smokers having health issues in a large mass, that I've heard of. Skeptics are just assuming there will be health issues in the future. I know people who have smoked pot most of their adult life they're very active outdoors........ Skiers, snowboarders, hikers, runners, hunters and people with jobs,. They also had their own health care plan that they paid for out of their pocket. Not your basic, irresponsible pot smoker that the anti-pot smokers like to portray......here lies the difference.

Do what you want with your own body if you're the one paying the insurance cost. Who's to say a glass of wine or two is better for a person over a joint. If one is a health issue so is the other! I've seen more damage from alcohol and presciption drugs, than any everyday pot smoker taking care of his/her own life by providing their own health insurance.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,705,330 times
Quote:
There was a thread asking who has changed their mind on an issue. It snuck up on me, but I realized today that I've moved from anti to pro nannyism. We had a state initiative last year to legalize pot here (WA). I voted against it, even though I used to smoke pot as a teen, regard it as less harmful than booze, and in any case believe that it's your body, your right.

Obamacare had already been signed into law. Under that scenario, it may be your body, but it's my wallet that's going to be tapped if you end up with respiratory or other issues from smoking pot.

We have a state-run exchange here for Obamacare sign ups. Of 176,000 enrollments, 9 of 10 are for medicaid. In other words, the taxpayer pays the bill. I don't drink/smoke/drug or even drink sugary drinks, so what do I care about a nanny state? But I will be helping to pay the bill for those who do, under Obamacare.

So now I say: bring on the nanny state. Ban tobacco, you've got my vote. Mayor Bloomberg restricting sugary drinks..you've got my vote too. War on drugs, hell yeah. Ban risky sports like tackle football, sure. Unsafe sex, unleash the vice squad. Mandatory waistline checks like in Japan--go for it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/wo...anted=all&_r=0

I'm serious; this is a sea change for me as a voter. From now on the politician that promises restrictions on unhealthy behavior gets my vote, all other things equal.
But now that health care is freeeee, it should not not matter to you how badly your neighbor abuses their body, because their health care is freeee.

BTW, banning anything and everything, because you think it might lead to someone, somewhere needing medical care is ignorant. You may as well ban automobiles, homes with bathrooms, stairs, swimming pools, roller blades, skate boards, and ration food.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
We often act in ways we think are in our best interest but actually aren’t. Education is key to making good choices. I agree with you there, urban. But if we begin to accept the legislation of personal choice as a legitimate function of government there is absolutely no area of our personal lives that supercilious bureaucrats cannot try to dictate.
I have been for the banning of trans fats in foods because it serves no purpose and is bad for the human body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies