Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I'd like to rep all your posts but I'll settle on this one!
Thanks! I'll hold my breath until mohawkx responds to the post....NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
All these vague claims that the President is breaking the law. There's a rash of threads started by the usual on this exact subject. why today? Why are these threads suddenly appearing? Did the right just now realize that the president is breaking all the laws and trampling on the constitution?

Not at all. The Tea Party Republicans have been given their marching orders and their single overriding communication objective by their handlers. now it's their job to spread the word. Disseminate the message of fear, paranoia and demonization.
The message for today is.........."Obama is breaking the laws and trampling the constitution"
I'll hold my breath while the house institutes impeachment procedures. Should be any minute now.
You can join the Obama prayer club. He and his supporters will need it if the Repugs win back the Senate and retain the house Nov 2014.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You can join the Obama prayer club. He and his supporters will need it if the Repugs win back the Senate and retain the house Nov 2014.
Probably so. We'll deal with that national disaster when the time comes.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Jonathan Turley is a liberal law professor. He's neither Tea Party nor right.
How Nixon Won Watergate | JONATHAN TURLEY
Quote:
Probably so. We'll deal with that national disaster when the time comes.
So Mohawkx... what do you think about this coming from a Liberal Democrat? He sure seems to know what he's talking about.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You mean terrorists? Sorry but being a US citizen doesn't make an enemy combatant somehow invulnerable.
I hear you on that, and at face value, I agree, BUT the problem here is one of potential.

As a U.S. citizen, you can't be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process. This is to protect you, the citizen, from a corrupt and tyrannical government. Giving the executive branch the authority to unilaterally play judge, jury and executioner - regardless of circumstances - is a very, very bad idea. Whether or not you think THIS president would abuse that authority is irrelevant. Eventually, it WILL happen, and there's no reason for you to believe that you can't end up on that hit list.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:10 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I hear you on that, and at face value, I agree, BUT the problem here is one of potential.

As a U.S. citizen, you can't be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process. This is to protect you, the citizen, from a corrupt and tyrannical government. Giving the executive branch the authority to unilaterally play judge, jury and executioner - regardless of circumstances - is a very, very bad idea. Whether or not you think THIS president would abuse that authority is irrelevant. Eventually, it WILL happen, and there's no reason for you to believe that you can't end up on that hit list.
Considering how often perfectly innocent people get shot *without* due process in this country, I suggest you focus on that which happens practically every day...than on an exceedingly rare happening like a U.S. Citizen who turns terrorist...that is, if you are really concerned about 'abuse of authority' and not just in finding another stick to beat Obama with.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
All these vague claims that the President is breaking the law. There's a rash of threads started by the usual on this exact subject. why today? Why are these threads suddenly appearing? Did the right just now realize that the president is breaking all the laws and trampling on the constitution?
It's been discussed for months. It's just now that sources that once overlooked it are starting to complain. If you recall Rand Paul's Filibuster?

Rand Paul pulls plug on nearly 13-hour filibuster on drones - Philip Ewing - POLITICO.com

Last edited by pknopp; 12-05-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
For example, Obama blast Bush for using signing statements - Obama went on to claim that he would never use a signing statement and that they went against his core values.

Obama promised not to use signing statements again in reelection campaign...except that he already used them MANY times in his 1st term and then used one a few weeks after he was reelected.

Obama is a compulsive liar and his supporters choose to enable it by not calling him out on it and attacking those that do.

List of President Obama's Signing Statements -

The Obameter: No signing statements to nullify instructions from Congress | PolitiFact

Obama Promised Not to Use Signing Statements, but Released One Last Night | The Weekly Standard

Daphne Eviatar: Promises, Promises: President Obama's NDAA Signing Statement

Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
How exactly is Obama a danger to the Constitution? What did he do?
Been in a cave for the past 7 years?

Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
All these vague claims that the President is breaking the law.
True or False, Obama said signing statements were unconstitutional, but did them?

True or False, Obama said that using military force without congressional consent without a direct threat to the US was constitutional, but did it?

True or False, the War Powers Act says after 60 days congress must declare war or the military must withdrawal?

True or False, Obama said it was illegal for him to act on the Dream Act alone without congress, then did so.

Obama himself has said something was illegal and done it anyways.

Either he is a liar or an ignoramus or hypocritically changed his position for political convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies