Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No one that I know who is a level headed liberal progressive actually thinks the President is on the left's side what so ever. Maybe rhetoric wise (not even), but in practice a lot of us consider him a basic moderate, like Clinton.
I don't care what you want to call it.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:59 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,974,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
Did I say it was an attitude or are you just injecting words and thoughts like you always do? They lack the skill to manage and budget. Period. Middle class people do too. So do upper and 1%s but they can get away with that a little more since they have a few extra zeros in their accounts. You seriously lack real world experience. Studying some classes in college and knowing how to Google does not qualify. Go out and met some "poor" folks, talk to them, get to know them, then go out and met some more, you'll quickly see a pattern. Better yet, work for a financial intuition as a bank teller, personal banker, loan officer, then you get to see how people handle their money on an everyday basis. Giving them more money will not solve their problems.

And let's be real, $15 an hour is not enough to support a family. Maybe if they had a real argument and real numbers, many of us will actually consider it.
Will you guys pipe down with the go out and get "real world" experience.

I interned at Merrill Lynch Private banking during college when it was all the rage to go into I-banking or consulting. I did my share as a spread sheet monkey financial analyst. I majored in Economics and learned the basics. After the crash, I had a change of heart and went to work for a law firm instead and am planning on getting my MPA or urban planning degree. I've seen the top, I've seen the bottom. My father owns a mid size business and I know the rhetoric of the right wing business owner and what he assumes as "logic", which magically only coincides with his best interest.

I've volunteered at homeless shelters and speak the downtrodden all the time and that only reinforces my beliefs.

I am not naive and that is my little anecdotal personal experience on life for all of you.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
There would be a slight increase in prices but you guys are going off the wall here. You guys are also thinking that only the minimum would see their share increase instead of this being the catalyst to lift all wages.

In this regard the companies should eat the difference. Rising prices are not a magical law of the market, but a response by business to a wage hike. Instead of learning all of your voodoo economics and getting canned answers from the right wing, you could do your own research.
so everyone's wages double but prices don't move ?

Payroll takes 35% of a McDonald's income (2010). That would go to 70% and McDonald's is not impacted at all in other areas ?

How could any business survive like that ?

2010 Restaurant Industry Report:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...rarept2010.pdf

Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,995 times
Hopefully the young will figure out you union goons are nothing more that Ponzi scheme barkers at the circus.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:

I interned at Merrill Lynch Private banking during college when it was all the rage to go into I-banking or consulting. I did my share as a spread sheet monkey financial analyst. I majored in Economics and learned the basics. After the crash, I had a change of heart and went to work for a law firm instead and am planning on getting my MPA or urban planning degree. I've seen the top, I've seen the bottom. My father owns a mid size business and I know the rhetoric of the right wing business owner and what he assumes as "logic", which magically only coincides with his best interest.

I've volunteered at homeless shelters and speak the downtrodden all the time and that only reinforces my beliefs.

I am not naive and that is my little anecdotal personal experience on life for all of you.
Ah..a summer internship at ML makes you the "expert" in the field.

I hope you don't aspire to run the Federal Reserve one day.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,805,875 times
Quote:
I don't know what is up with this scared cow of small business is to you people
Because small business accounts for half the private sector employment. It produces wealth and employs people.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,182,912 times
Yep. People who no ambition in life other than to flip burger's, something a brain dead chimp could do without trying hard. So they want a wage comparable to a technical skill but don't want to work to get ahead, instead demand a wage they don't even deserve.

Pathetic. Don't have the drive to succeed, instead want to belong to a union. Well, let them unionize. Watch businesses not hire them.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:

I suspect daddie pays your tuition and other costs. You're benefitting very nicely from a horrible business.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM

23,666 posts, read 23,987,722 times
Quote:
I don't know but if you can't afford the labor you shouldn't be in business.
That's the second time I've seen someone write this in one of these discussions this week.

Do you realize just how MONUMENTALLY STUPID of a thing that is to say, in the context of a minimum wage discussion?

Let's create a fictitious example, but within the parameters of reality.

We have a small, independent retail store. A "mom and pop" operation. They sell widgets, and accessories for widgets. They employ a dozen people in total. On average, the employees are paid $8.50/hr, for an average of 28 hours per week. The business is doing well - everyone's getting paid, the owners are drawing a steady income (you'd be very surprised how many small business owners struggle financially, but their employees always get paid) and things are running well.

Sound reasonable and realistic? If not, please let me know what you think isn't reasonable and/or realistic in the above scenario. I'd love to hear it.

So that's nearly $150,000/year in wages, just for the employees. That's not including payroll taxes, employment taxes, cost of payroll processing, various insurance policies, etc. Those additional costs add around 30% to the total cost of employment, which brings the total annual outlay for employees to a little shy of $200k/year.

So everything's going good, and they're operating as they have for years. Employees get paid the wage they agreed to and get valuable experience that will serve them well later in life, the owner gets to feed his own family and maybe put some away for retirement.

Then some politician sitting behind a $3,000 desk two thousand miles away signs a piece of paper, and suddenly that $8.50/hr is legally considered too little, despite the fact that it was agreed upon by both the employer and his employees. Now, the employer has to pay those people $15/hr. Let's do the math.

$15 x 12 x 28 x 52 = $262,080. Add another 30% for costs and you get about $340,000. That politician sitting thousands of miles away has increased this employer's cost of employing people by $140,000 per year.

Should the business owner now "not be in business" because he "can't afford the cost of labor"? This wasn't his fault. He isn't out this additional money because he planned poorly, or underestimated his competition, or because a Wal*Mart opened up down the street. He suddenly can't afford to retain his employees for one reason, and one reason only: a politician whom he's never met, and who may not have ever set foot in his state, decided that his employees' labor is suddenly worth this new, arbitrarily chosen figure. The employees had no say. The employer had no say. This business will suffer for that action, because he can't afford to pay for the same number of man-hours. Some employees will lose their jobs. Customer service will suffer. Prices will rise.

So when you say, "if you can't afford the labor you shouldn't be in business," what you're really saying is that you don't understand the first thing about running one.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:15 PM

705 posts, read 1,256,517 times
Quote:

Biting the hand that fed him, stellar guy right here folks!

It reinforced your belief that they're good people, and most of them are. But I really doubt the ones you met knew how to live within a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies