Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Meteorology has improved? Sure it has. That's why 2013 was predicted to be an "unusually active" year for hurricanes and we got a grand total of 0 (yes, ZERO) major hurricanes. Tell me again how accurate weather forecasting has become, please?

There is still no scientific proof that anything we do affects the global weather pattern in any noticeable way. There is a lot of speculation, hypothesis, and theory, but no proof to back any of it up.
You DO know that a hurricane is the same thing as a typhoon, right?
Philippines.
Super Typhoon Haiyan, the most powerful storm to make landfall, ever.
Perhaps you've heard of it?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Philippines.

The prediction was for the Atlantic.

NOAA predicts active 2013 Atlantic hurricane season

Last edited by Ultor; 12-08-2013 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: edit to add link

Old 12-08-2013, 05:36 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Philippines.
Did it happen in the Atlantic or the northeastern Pacific? Nope. It happened in an area where there are no hurricane predictions because they aren't called hurricanes there.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
call back in 30 years and I will let you know how everything is going with the climate

I predict unprecedented winters to come, blizzards and ice storms galore

Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 PM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Philippines.

As for hurricane intensity and frequency over the last 40 years...

Accumulated energy levels are as low now as they were back in the early 1970's

Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Transferring wealth and tech to another country has no benefit to economy.
No I was just pointing out the right's buzz word of wealth transfer is how economies work. The wealth has been steadily flowing upwards since the 70s but somehow wealth transferring to other countries is bad.

Quote:
This is whole other ballgame, you can't for example have a huge swing to the use
of coal from Powder River Basin becsue it has lower sulfur content. You can't
for example put a wet scrubber on a stack.
Or you just increasingly use natural gas and increased conservation through efficiency..... Not a big fan of cap and trade to be honest, rather just lump the gas tax and a carbon together.

Quote:
Understand when you are looking at one of these Chinese cities with a the smog a great deal of that is residential heating.
And the millions of cars that have been added in a short period and the large manufacturing passes that require a lot of energy. Either way you cut, regulations and cleaner energy are in China's and other rapidly developing countries' future.

Looks it clear you are invested in coal, more than economically it seems, but it ain't that cheap when you take pollution into account.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
No I was just pointing out the right's buzz word of wealth transfer is how economies work. The wealth has been steadily flowing upwards since the 70s but somehow wealth transferring to other countries is bad.
This is not a buzz word, this is exactly what the UN proposals encompass.

Quote:
Or you just increasingly use natural gas
The honeymoon is over:

This is specific to the Boston area but possible for the rest of the country if this cold continues:

December natural gas prices spike in Boston - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Quote:
Either way you cut, regulations and cleaner energy are in China's and other rapidly developing countries' future.
They really don't have much of choice at this juncture. Despite having about 15% of the worlds supply of coal they will burn through their domestic supply over the next 3 to 4 decades at the rate they are going now. They are importing large quantities now, some of it from the US.

Quote:
Looks it clear you are invested in coal, more than economically it seems,
I bleed coal. My only personal financial interest will benefit from increased energy costs becsue they only concern residential use of anthracite for heating.

Quote:
but it ain't that cheap when you take pollution into account.
When is enough, enough? For example we have these new mercury emissions that spurred the closing of many coal plants. The estimates are there will be a 1 to 10 percent reduction in deposition rates in the US increasing the average IQ 2/1000 of one point. That makes no sense....

It's inevitable that something will replace fossil fuels but you don;t drive the bus off the cliff in the meantime.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
This is not a buzz word, this is exactly what the UN proposals encompass.
How do you think developing countries develop without wealth transfer? Again you are referring to "wealth transfer" in the negative right wing, hating communist sense... which is incorrect.

Quote:
The honeymoon is over:

This is specific to the Boston area but possible for the rest of the country if this cold continues:

December natural gas prices spike in Boston - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
You should actually read your article......

Quote:
They really don't have much of choice at this juncture. Despite having about 15%
of the worlds supply of coal they will burn through their domestic supply over
the next 3 to 4 decades at the rate they are going now. They are importing large
quantities now, some of it from the US.
This along with the high cost of pollution from coal.

Quote:
I bleed coal. My only personal financial interest will benefit from
increased energy costs becsue they only concern residential use of anthracite
for heating.
You bleed coal for no other reason than you love it? No financials ties..... puh-lease.

Quote:
When is enough, enough? For example we have these new mercury emissions that
spurred the closing of many coal plants. The estimates are there will be a 1 to
10 percent reduction in deposition rates in the US increasing the average IQ
2/1000 of one point. That makes no sense....
Sigh..... no one is claiming all regulations are good. But coal ain't that cheap when you stop subsidizing pollution.

Quote:
It's inevitable that something will replace fossil fuels but you don;t drive the bus off the cliff in the meantime.
More hyperbole? No one is driving the bus off the cliff.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
How do you think developing countries develop without wealth transfer? Again you are referring to "wealth transfer" in the negative right wing, hating communist sense... which is incorrect.
These wealth transfers are not improve their economy, it's to compensate them for the cost of NOT using fossil fuels. Basically welfare... It's bad enough these types of policies have destroyed inner cities but I guess that isn't good enough and will now move onto developing nations.

Quote:
You should actually read your article......
I di and as noted there was many factors including a cold November.

Quote:
This along with the high cost of pollution from coal.
Again much of that pollution is residential, you have a suggestion for keeping more than 1 billion people warm?

Quote:
You bleed coal for no other reason than you love it? No financials ties..... puh-lease.
I've never hidden who I am but I'll go over it again. My Grandfather started a coal delivery business with a horse and wagon in the 20's. I was the fourth and last generation to run that business, this is not huge company but 2 two delivery trucks. "The gas man", "The oil man"... " The Coal Man"... get it?

You can research that username if you want becsue I have been using it since about 2003 but you'll find it on technical sites like videohelp.com and webmasterworld.

I "retired" in 2006, my only financial interest now is web site I run for people needing information on using coal for heat. As energy prices increase so does my bottom line.

Quote:
But coal ain't that cheap when you stop subsidizing pollution.
Again, when is enough, enough?

Quote:
More hyperbole? No one is driving the bus off the cliff.
Not yet but they are trying pretty dam hard. Let me ask you something, you realize that the nations pushing this either have no resources of their own or are quickly running out? The coal supply here in the US poses a huge economic threat to every nation on this planet, only Russia has comparable supplies when you factor in population.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
These wealth transfers are not improve their economy, it's to compensate them for the cost of NOT using fossil fuels. Basically welfare... It's bad enough these types of policies have destroyed inner cities but I guess that isn't good enough and will now move onto developing nations.
Sigh more hyperbole.

Quote:
I di and as noted there was many factors including a cold November.
No you noted TWO factors, cold November and it being localized in the NE.

Quote:
Again much of that pollution is residential, you have a suggestion for keeping
more than 1 billion people warm?
Better investment in cleaner energy and better regulations..... Works for most countries.

Quote:

I've never hidden who I am but I'll go over it again. My Grandfather started
a coal delivery business with a horse and wagon in the 20's. I was the fourth
and last generation to run that business, this is not huge company but 2 two
delivery trucks. "The gas man", "The oil man"... " The Coal Man"... get it?

You can research that username if you want becsue I have been using it since
about 2003 but you'll find it on technical sites like videohelp.com and
webmasterworld.
Just pointing out how your bias clouds your eyes.

Quote:
Again, when is enough, enough?

Sigh that same old graph that you trot out. What's the global picture?

Quote:
Not yet but they are trying pretty dam hard. Let me ask you something, you realize that the nations pushing this either have no resources of their own or are quickly running out? The coal supply here in the US poses a huge economic threat to every nation on this planet, only Russia has comparable supplies when you factor in population.
So... hyperbole.

What about natural gas? What are it's supplies? Oil? Solar? Wind? Nuclear? Biomass? Future unknown? Why are you focusing on just one energy supply...... coal bias?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies