Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 PM

38,960 posts, read 27,318,104 times

Advertisements

According to this CNN article,

"His flight gets canceled and he lands comfy, complimentary accommodations at the Airport Ritz. Yours gets the ax, and you're curled up overnight on the airport floor.

So what gives?

Contrary to popular belief, airlines won't necessarily put you up in a hotel, feed you or otherwise compensate you when they cancel or delay your flight."

CNN.com - Don't count on royal treatment when flights get canceled, delayed

I think this article title :Don't count on royal treatment when flights get canceled, delayed is misleading at best. Obviously, my friend did not receive any type of "royal" treatment, he did not receive any type of assistance from the airline.

I would like to present my friend's Eticket to the CD posters

USairway flight 4383 has been delayed for 2 hours, fine, this is understandable. I don't think anybody would complain about that because after all, safety first.

However, Notice that my friend has to get on another flight in order to get to his final destination Los Angeles. IF the first flight was delayed for two hours, how could he possibly get on the second flight on time?

This is what happened. He had to book a hotel At Philli for one night, hotel fee $110/night. He also needs to get up around 4 am tomorrow morning to get on another flight. Airline pays for absolutely nothing and they are not even offering passengers any hotel or meal discount whatsoever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to this CNN article,

"Although travelers who get bumped from overbooked flights typically are entitled to compensation, there are no federal requirements governing how an airline handles delayed passengers. Their fate depends on several factors, including what airline they're flying, what caused the delay, and how far along they are in their journey."

But if passengers get stuck at an airport in a snowstorm, their odds of getting much more than a "good luck" get slimmer. "If it's a large weather event affecting all of the airlines, it's very hard to accommodate everyone in a hotel room, and generally we don't," Triaca said."

CNN.com - Don't count on royal treatment when flights get canceled, delayed

I don't believe any passengers deserve Royal treatment just because their flights have been canceled or delayed. But do you think airline should at least give them some kind of compensation? Like a hotel discount? A discounted meal?

Obviously, the airline my friend happened to book does not provide any type of assistance, and this particular airline received pretty good reviews for the past several years.

According to American Airline spoke person, ""If a flight is adversely affected by events beyond our control, you are responsible for your own overnight accommodations, meals and incidental expenses," it says.

Do you believe this is fair? Your thoughts? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 AM

725 posts, read 1,888,065 times
I don't think this is fair at all. If you pay for a service, in this case a flight from point A to point B during a specific time frame, and the airline doesn't follow through with what you paid for then compensation is certainly in order. I understand sometimes things happen beyond the airlines control such as weather etc...but if the flight is overbooked or some other factor then the airline should compensate you in one way or another.

The big problem is that they literally have you by the nuts. You don't have the option to just walk away and go somewhere else. They have your money since you already paid for your ticket so you can't just walk away and go to another airline. It's not like having reservations at a nice restaurant where you make a reservation and if they can't honor your reservation then you simply have the option of dining elsewhere or speak to management and more then likely you will receive some type of compensation for your troubles.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,706,130 times
So much for that outdated concept of customer service.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,597,075 times
My mom had a flight cancelled on united airlines due to a mechanical problem. Since her destination was a small city, the next booking they could do was about 24 hours later. So as an alternative they booked her on a flight leaving 6 hours later into a city an hour's drive from her intended (home) destination. She then had to book her own shuttle bus ride from there to her home airport, where her car was parked. United did not help with the booking of that shuttle, and did not pay for any of it. Ticket agents insisted they could do no more for her and asked her to leave when she was trying to get them to pay for the shuttle. Not even an offer of a free future flight, nothing!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,227,761 times
It's completely fair. How can an airline be responsible for weather related delays?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,971,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I don't think this is fair at all. If you pay for a service, in this case a flight from point A to point B during a specific time frame, and the airline doesn't follow through with what you paid for then compensation is certainly in order. I understand sometimes things happen beyond the airlines control such as weather etc...but if the flight is overbooked or some other factor then the airline should compensate you in one way or another.

The big problem is that they literally have you by the nuts. You don't have the option to just walk away and go somewhere else. They have your money since you already paid for your ticket so you can't just walk away and go to another airline. It's not like having reservations at a nice restaurant where you make a reservation and if they can't honor your reservation then you simply have the option of dining elsewhere or speak to management and more then likely you will receive some type of compensation for your troubles.
Yes and no.

Your credit card company works for you. You are their customer. Use the dispute feature.

Or sue them in small claims court. Everyone does it, they cannot show up to all of them.

Consumers can force a change in a business, they just have to demand it and act on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies