Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

There are ways to move forward, that aren't Left or Right. A "Third Way" ....

Third Way | Fresh Thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:08 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Anybody who's had a job out in the real world knows this is BS.

Capitalism isn't a meritocracy. The wealthiest group of people are in the finance industry. They produce nothing. Their business is money.
I'm certainly not going to defend the entire "finance" industry, but your claim that they produce nothing is flat out wrong ! There are huge problems in the finance industry and certainly to much greed....but that doesn't mean the entire industry produces nothing and is worthless.

Without the finance industry, how old do you think you'd be by the time you'd saved up enough money to buy a home, or even your first new car ? The finance industry is a service that collects money on one end, and loans it out on the other making a profit in the exchange. It takes a business plan as well as time, effort and some risk to provide this service. Without anyone doing this, how would you typically finance your house or car ? Well, I guess you'd have to hit up enough friends and neighbors with extra disposible income to loan you a few hundred here, a few thousand there, draw up 10's or 100's of separate agreements to pay them back at various amounts of interest.....hardly sounds like a feasible option. Given the hundreds of hours it would take you to do this....versus the relatively few hours it takes at your financial institution, don't you think the finance industry is providing a huge value to you ?

Back to "Zarg" for the moment, here's my take on this situation. It all depends on why "Og" gathered less apples than "Zarg". If Og suffered some physical infirmity (physical or mental) and was unable to provide for his entire need for apples, even though he had tried his best to gather enough apples, you would indeed be a dispicable human being/capitalist not to offer to help him provide for his needs. However, I think what rankles many people is another scenario that is true far to often.

Og isn't really "into" planning for his own future needs and spends his fall relaxing while the apple crop is ripe for harvesting. Once the low hanging apple fruit is gathered up by others and the first cold weather hits....now he's suddenly worried about his ability to survive the long Winter and starts scavenging for remaining apples which are of course higher up on the tree (easy best quality fruit is of course picked first by those who planned ahead for Winter and worked their plan) and harder to gather. Now he's starting to panic and begging for others to share their "good fortune" with him since he'll otherwise starve. So you're a good person and decide to share some of your apples with Og....hoping this will get him through his hard time and he'll learn a valuable lesson. So next season arrives and guess what ? Yup, Og is short again....so you share once more thinking surely he'll learn this time. Guess what, the following season Og is again, short of apples due to his same behavior the previous two years. This year you decide...hey, he's been playing, or sitting around watching his "rock TV" all fall while I've been working at gathering apples.....it's not fair that I've planned and worked my plan at gathering apples and obviously he's not real interested in changing his neglegent behavior....so I'm done ! He's on his own. I will however this year give some of my extra apples to my other neighbor who broke his leg falling out of the apple tree he was picking apples in since he's a hard working guy, working his plan and he had an unfortunate accident and will need some help this year.

Ya, this analogy using Zarg and Og may be a bit simplistic......but I'll bet 99% of you know and have personally observed this exact situation hundreds of times in your life.....and it does get old real quick when you see little or no effort on "Og's" part to help himself to the extent he has the physical and mental ability to do so. You're willing to help (as are the vast majority of Americans) those in need where it passes the "smell" test.....but far to often (certainly not all) you take one whiff and smell nothing but sewer gas.

Earlier this week we were in the grocery store and I saw a fellow I happen to know is on various forms of public assistance. He had 8 two liter bottles of soda in his cart along with one loaf of white bread. I commented to my wife about this and she said she'd seen him buying groceries other times and he paid via EBT card using the "SNAP" program....what used to be called food stamps. The name of program is "SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program". A very worthy program to provide for the nutritional needs of those unable to buy enough food to feed their families. Notice the word "nutrition" in the very title of the program ? How much nutrition do you think there is in 8 two liter bottles of soda ? Using very simple logic, this man is abusing the program....period ! If he can afford to buy large quantities of nutritionally void soda.....it probably means he's not "into" planning good nutritional meals for him and/or his family. He and "Og" probably think much the same way !

Last edited by jasper1372; 12-07-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 08:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
If Zarg had any compassion he would have voluntarily shared his apples with Og. This would have preserved Og's basic human dignity and would have been fair for all. Zarg was simply a greedy capitalist.

Plus if Og had a better diet and communal support he could become a more productive member of the group instead of using all of his time trying to keep himself alive.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
A simple bedtime story that depicts what happens when there are people willing to earn their keep and others expecting others to take care of them.

Many people earn their keep but unfortunately those who control the keep don't give what is properly due.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Zarg broke his leg and couldn't harvest apples from the tree anymore. No one cared. Zarg starved and died. The industrious, apple-hungry cavement harvested all of the apples from the tree, cut down the trees and burned the wood to keep warm. They neglected to plant new trees. The cavemen all starved and died. Human civilization stopped dead in its tracks.
The evolution class you must not have taken would have taught you that was the way that nature works. Zarg died and his genetic contributions to humankind were removed which improved the species.

Obviously there were other smarter and stronger cavemen who did survive and we're their descendants. Nature got rid of the stupid and weak in those days.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many people earn their keep but unfortunately those who control the keep don't give what is properly due.
No one seems to care about the steadily decrease in workers pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The evolution class you must not have taken would have taught you that was the way that nature works. Zarg died and his genetic contributions to humankind were removed which improved the species.

Obviously there were other smarter and stronger cavemen who did survive and we're their descendants. Nature got rid of the stupid and weak in those days.
I never understand how to translate this to the modern day. Let poor people die? Is this the plan?
I'm really not interested in living in a third world country, thanks.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Great points. Agree. Repped! Like I always say on here, musical chairs, why people don't get that is beyond me. I guess they refuse to. There are not enough good jobs for everyone that needs or wants one. Period, end of sentence. And no amount of updating education, skills, work ethic, getting "lazy" people to do whatever... "show up on time" etc... will change this.

How we deal with this situation as a society is the million or trillion dollar question?
You are completely ignoring the fact of very large immigration, and the fact the thousands of illegals can come over the border and have zero trouble finding jobs. Remittances to just Mexico are now over $2 billion a month. Yes -- a month. They not only grab the lowest paying jobs, they have more than enough extra money that they can each send hundreds of dollars home every month.

Yes Americans have become very lazy --- and why not? Living off welfare is very easy -- they've got more food than one should eat, they've got cable television, obamaphones, video game players, not to mention plenty of heat and air conditioning. It beats working for a living.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
No one seems to care about the steadily decrease in workers pay.

I never understand how to translate this to the modern day. Let poor people die? Is this the plan?
I'm really not interested in living in a third world country, thanks.
They didn't teach you evolution in school? You didn't learn about the survival of the fittest? The way some species and strains survived and others did not? All that about those variants that can adapt are the ones who go on but the others die out?

Why are we teaching Darwinism in schools if we don't really believe in it?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
They didn't teach you evolution in school? You didn't learn about the survival of the fittest? The way some species and strains survived and others did not? All that about those variants that can adapt are the ones who go on but the others die out?

We teach about many things in school we don't wish to practice.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:

Is it your wish to return to 'survival of the fittest'? Please do tell how you would propose we allow people to die and which ones you feel are tainting the gene pool. Since this does appear to be indeed what you are proposing.

We teach a LOT of things in school that we do not currently participate in. Should we be burning witches at the stake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies