Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Administration is most responsible for Income Inequality?
Politicians in DC and thier policies are actually not responsible for the shape of this country, it's a strawman and is up to the individual. 5 10.20%
Politicians in DC are responsible but are blameless when they rejoin back into a large corporation or bank. 2 4.08%
Puppet Barack Obama and Wall Street since QE and Bailouts occured on his watch. 22 44.90%
Ronald Reagan and Trickle Down Economics Policies. 24 48.98%
I don't care and this topic needs to die since my stocks are going through the roof. 3 6.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:48 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
uhm, income equality? I surely hope the surgeon that is about to operate on me is paid better than a burger flipper.
I presume you're joking in a sense. The surgeon deserves to make 100 grand or more if he does a really good job, has a high success, and thus brings the facility he works a lot of money or clientele.

The problem is that we consider 'burger flippers' deemed to not be able afford more than food or gas off their pay. College is simply not made for everyone, nor is it affordable. The 'burger flipper' shouldn't consider it a life long job, but as a stepping stone, but still one he can do with some dignity. 2.85$ more an hour in his pocket will do more good for the economy than a million in a stockholders or CEOs who will never spend that money.

Also, consider that some of these companies are also underpaying those higher on the career track since the low minimum wage allows them. Let's take Dollar General for example and perhaps you can see how unbeneficial our economy has become.

Sales associates: $7.50 (many companies pay. 25 over minimum so they don't report in as paying minimum)
Sales Leader: $8.50
Assistant Store Manager: $10.00
Store Manager Candidate: $11.00
Store Manager: $29,000 - $32,000 (Considering the hours you work, this will average out to 9.50 an hour, though you'll still take home 500 or so a week)
*I'm skipping training store manager and district manager candidate as they both can be skipped to get to the next position and pay little more than store manager*
District manager: $70,000 plus potential for anywhere between 5 to 30k in bonuses. (You also get a car and expense account)
Regional managers and up all make in excess of 100k per year and their bonuses are sweeeeeeet. Yet a store managers highest bonuses will be about 2-3k for a year.

I'm still young, but I climbed that ladder once. They are very quick to promote I can at least say that...never got to regional position though. But just think, you're on the ground doing all that work, and then once you get to a corporate position, suddenly you're pay goes through the roof compared to the increments you've been getting (when I got promoted I honestly thought I'd be lucky to see 45k a year... Imagine my shock to have six figures). Don't get me wrong, DMs do a lot of work too, but honestly it's not a huge increase from store manager...and it's hard to compare unloading 1800 piece trucks every week and being up beforev6am three days out of a week. A lot of my work except for occasional SVS visits or inventory could be done from home or on the road. It was actually less stressful because really the only time I really had any worry was if payroll was about to go over budget and my boss saw that when I rolled it over to him, but it's an easy fix (all stores cut *** hours). I loved the money, but honestly compared to what everyone below me made, I didn't deserve that salary. And it's not like they were dumber than me, hell half them were older and had college education.

I know this has probably become a long winded rant that was totally uncalled for, but that comment really sparked a fire that's long been sitting in my heart. We undermine and underpay people who are doing some really hard work hard for us not because we don't have the money, but because we are scared to give up a little of what we have to improve other lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
A centrally controlled hierarchical system is by definition inequal and imbalanced. Incomes are a product of that system. Income inequality is more a result of the system than a cause. Though it also has it's own effects.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I presume you're joking in a sense. The surgeon deserves to make 100 grand or more if he does a really good job, has a high success, and thus brings the facility he works a lot of money or clientele.

The problem is that we consider 'burger flippers' deemed to not be able afford more than food or gas off their pay. College is simply not made for everyone, nor is it affordable. The 'burger flipper' shouldn't consider it a life long job, but as a stepping stone, but still one he can do with some dignity. 2.85$ more an hour in his pocket will do more good for the economy than a million in a stockholders or CEOs who will never spend that money.

Also, consider that some of these companies are also underpaying those higher on the career track since the low minimum wage allows them. Let's take Dollar General for example and perhaps you can see how unbeneficial our economy has become.

Sales associates: $7.50 (many companies pay. 25 over minimum so they don't report in as paying minimum)
Sales Leader: $8.50
Assistant Store Manager: $10.00
Store Manager Candidate: $11.00
Store Manager: $29,000 - $32,000 (Considering the hours you work, this will average out to 9.50 an hour, though you'll still take home 500 or so a week)
*I'm skipping training store manager and district manager candidate as they both can be skipped to get to the next position and pay little more than store manager*
District manager: $70,000 plus potential for anywhere between 5 to 30k in bonuses. (You also get a car and expense account)
Regional managers and up all make in excess of 100k per year and their bonuses are sweeeeeeet. Yet a store managers highest bonuses will be about 2-3k for a year.

I'm still young, but I climbed that ladder once. They are very quick to promote I can at least say that...never got to regional position though. But just think, you're on the ground doing all that work, and then once you get to a corporate position, suddenly you're pay goes through the roof compared to the increments you've been getting (when I got promoted I honestly thought I'd be lucky to see 45k a year... Imagine my shock to have six figures). Don't get me wrong, DMs do a lot of work too, but honestly it's not a huge increase from store manager...and it's hard to compare unloading 1800 piece trucks every week and being up beforev6am three days out of a week. A lot of my work except for occasional SVS visits or inventory could be done from home or on the road. It was actually less stressful because really the only time I really had any worry was if payroll was about to go over budget and my boss saw that when I rolled it over to him, but it's an easy fix (all stores cut *** hours). I loved the money, but honestly compared to what everyone below me made, I didn't deserve that salary. And it's not like they were dumber than me, hell half them were older and had college education.

I know this has probably become a long winded rant that was totally uncalled for, but that comment really sparked a fire that's long been sitting in my heart. We undermine and underpay people who are doing some really hard work hard for us not because we don't have the money, but because we are scared to give up a little of what we have to improve other lives.
Kudos to you for being a thoughtful person.

The hierarchical corporate system model is what you are describing. It is focused on increase of profit or revenue as determining success. This also applies to so-called govt, btw. This in fact makes other goals less important. This same model removes individual accountability and creates opacity. This is what the entire commerce system is based on. Essentially the overlay of energy exchange for the planet, especially for humans.

People can change this overnight, but it requires understanding the models and awareness. Consciously considering where real value lies is very important in this regard. People need services and things, but they do not have to be produced or obtained with the current system model. This current model is more an extraction tool of energy and value than an exchange tool due to the control/benefit to those at the top.

All value in an economy begins and ends with people. Their blood, sweat and tears backs all of it. This fact is obfuscated often. Once you take a representative of ones value and give control of that to another entity that entity has just been given a serious advantage.

More balanced models such as open source are gaining and they will continue to do so. They offer many advantages over a central control hierarchy.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
what the **** does the Obama Administration have to do with income inequality? This whole process started under Reagan. The seeds of contempt from the business community were started under Nixon.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post

The hierarchical corporate system model is what you are describing. It is focused on increase of profit or revenue as determining success. This also applies to so-called govt, btw. This in fact makes other goals less important. This same model removes individual accountability and creates opacity. This is what the entire commerce system is based on. Essentially the overlay of energy exchange for the planet, especially for humans.

People can change this overnight, but it requires understanding the models and awareness. Consciously considering where real value lies is very important in this regard. People need services and things, but they do not have to be produced or obtained with the current system model. This current model is more an extraction tool of energy and value than an exchange tool due to the control/benefit to those at the top.

All value in an economy begins and ends with people. Their blood, sweat and tears backs all of it. This fact is obfuscated often. Once you take a representative of ones value and give control of that to another entity that entity has just been given a serious advantage.

More balanced models such as open source are gaining and they will continue to do so. They offer many advantages over a central control hierarchy.
Amen, friend!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Throwing $1 trillion a year of printed money into the financial system has brought fabulous wealth to the the already wealthy. FED policy has done nothing for the middle class. In fact, middle-class savers are unable to earn any interest on their own savings.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
No administration.
It's called life and the natural order of things.
The existence of the middle class was an anomaly that existed briefly because of various conditions that cropped up after the second world war.
Easy for the U.S. to afford this while the rest of the world was in devastation and we controlled like 50% of the planet's GDP.
We will go back to the moneyed class, professional class, and everyone else soon enough.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Throwing $1 trillion a year of printed money into the financial system has brought fabulous wealth to the the already wealthy. FED policy has done nothing for the middle class. In fact, middle-class savers are unable to earn any interest on their own savings.
True....our money itself can not make money like it used to.

Even is you do make a little on interest.......the government will tax it.

People have to make it happen for themselves.....no one can do it for them.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post

Thank you. I just get so tired of hearing folks say 'go to school'or 'keep working harder and you'll get there' like those things really help anymore. Now don't get me wrong, I did work super crazy to get up where I am, but I also had to gain favor with the current DM, plus the regional, then some other higher ups before I got considered to be in 'the circle'. I went straight from store manager to district manager as soon as she decided she was stepping down. Of course I had done training so I would be able to start doing the job, but you really should technically become a store training manager, DM candidate or both before you get into official training. The thing is, they weren't very professional on training and do basically whatever they want when it comes to training you. I'm a very handsome on person, so luckily I was always good since I researched for myself, but still. It's horrible IMO when one part of the equation is more important than the other, and I certainly did get the feeling that corporate considered themselves better than the ones responsible for every penny of their money.

I think what corporate America needs to remember is they have two bosses. The ones who make their money for them, and the ones doing the purchasing.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You have no idea what the Federal Reserve does or how it functions. The Federal Reserve kept millions of middle class workers employed that would have just been collateral from the recession.

Also, why the hell should banks pay you interest? You aren't helping the economy buy having it sit in a bank vault. That's why money has to be invested in something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies