Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Yes it would. Giving each welfare person $21,000 a year would place a family of four well above the poverty line. Poverty would be over. According to the 2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines, the poverty level for a family of four is $23,950. The total of $84,000 is roughly 380 percent of the federal poverty guidelines.
At that amount of $$$, who would work? Can you imagine giving a 23 year old with 3 kids $80+K a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How can they catch fraud? The government has added a ridiculous number of new disabilities so that just about any reason someone doesn't feel like working can get them disability handouts, food stamps, etc.

Like I said and you can go down to any welfare office yourself and see that very few of the recipients are missing arms and legs. Most could do some sort of work.
Are there millions of local jobs available for 50-64 year olds with minimal education, the most common age group on disability?

Do these people have the means/ability to relocate elsewhere for a better shot at a part time minimum wage job?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Are there millions of local jobs available for 50-64 year olds with minimal education, the most common age group on disability?

Do these people have the means/ability to relocate elsewhere for a better shot at a part time minimum wage job?
Yet illegals with much less education seem to have no trouble finding jobs. And illegals will relocate for a job. With the lifespan now over 80 years, age 50 is simply far too young to expect to live off the taxpayers for so many years.

My grandfather didn't retire until he was 84 -- and he worked a physical kind of job.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My family is in the top 5% of earners in the country.

White lower middle class peoples obsession with poor black people taking their tax money through welfare fraud is disproportionate to the actual problem. It's effect on lower middle class white people is so miniscule compared to so many other things, that it renders the whole thing absurd. Yet you have dozens of these people who spend all day on internet forums whining about how poor black people are ripping them off because they get food stamps. If you're making 40K living in some crap hole town in Ohio, you're basically contributing jack squat to some welfare queen in the projects and her food stamps.

Get over yourselves.
It's like the influx of European immigrants who, once their ship was docked, immediately looked down on the next ship full of immigrants, especially those from different homelands than their own.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
At that amount of $$$, who would work? Can you imagine giving a 23 year old with 3 kids $80+K a year.
I keep hearing this over and over from the right. Are you guys really that freaking lazy? Come on. I'd work! Most people I know who are working would keep working, and some that arent working would start working.

But apparently you would stop working....

Old 12-06-2013, 01:54 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Yet illegals with much less education seem to have no trouble finding jobs. And illegals will relocate for a job. With the lifespan now over 80 years, age 50 is simply far too young to expect to live off the taxpayers for so many years.

My grandfather didn't retire until he was 84 -- and he worked a physical kind of job.
That was a different economic world. Yes, an illegal can find a job cleaning toilets for sub-minimum wage that is off-the-books.

But the company that hired the off-the-books illegal is not going to hire a 50-year-old master machinist whose factory moved to China, not even for the same sub-minimum wage.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:

??? WTF, are you aware of the large variances in longevity in this country? I will consider myself very fortunate to see 65 - never mind 80.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Poverty in America is a choice. How do you get rid of people choosing to be poor?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Yes.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Funny, I rarely see or hear poor people b!tc# and moan. It's always the supposedly well off people that I see online b!tc#ing and moaning about poor people. Like sheesh-if you've worked so hard and have so much to show for it, can't you at least enjoy your life and blessings?

I guess the poor are too busy trying to put food on the table.
Actually, it doesn't take that long to put food on the table anymore. You don't have to stand in line for food stamps. They give it to you electronically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies