Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had a guarenteed income of $1,500 a month you would....
Yes I would keep working 86 64.18%
I would quit and live off 1500 a month 10 7.46%
I would quit to start my own business 12 8.96%
I would work part time-maybe 20 hours a week 11 8.21%
None of these choices would match my behavior 15 11.19%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would invest the 1500 and keep working. Unlike many on welfare I actually prefer to stay busy and find television boring. I also aspire to living better than just surviving. I could retire right now and beat that 1500 on what I already have. I want better than that though.
When you live in a small town, pop 570. Everyone knows everyone. Driving through town at 10 am it isn't the working people hitting the 1 bar for a pre lunch beer. It's always one of the low income housing people, the guy on UE or one of the retired town drunks..
Curse of the small town you have no privacy. LOL
Me I want the money to live, to travel and call my golden years golden.

On an individual level, I think the decision would depend on whether (and how much) you like your job, and I think it would be insane for everyone who doesn't like their job (lots of people) not to start their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Most of us could not manage our expenses with only $1,500/month coming in. Is that before or after taxes? We paid off all of our debt before I retired and we would still lose money every month if we had to depend on just $1,500. We just have too much to take care of and taxes are too high.

I know that many people think life would be great if they did not have to work. But look at America's waist line! Eventually our life expectancy will come down as we gain weight. Too many people are envious of people that do nothing. That isn't necessarily a good thing. Look at how many Americans park in the fire lanes to save a few extra steps into our stores - are they healthier?

The $1,500 would be taxable, so it would be before taxes. I see the goal as NOT to enable shirkers, but to enable entrepreneurship and escape from dependency programs that penalize work and productivity.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I actually could live off 1500 a month but I would still work. I would be able to enjoy life more as I'd be able to go on more vacations and buy more crap and could save more money to send my kids to school with so it would be a great thing. But I'd still work. Probably part time though, but I made about $1800 a month when I worked part time before so having my part time pay plus the $1500 would be almost what I make full time now and that would be good for me.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So we've heard a lot of folks here say that if they had a guaranteed income everyone would quit and never work again. This amazes me. most of my friends would keep working! So I wondered...how much of that is projection onto others, vs's how many here would....

ps...yes I know...a typo in the header. If a mod see's this, can you fix the typo as I cant edit it apparently. Sigh.
For some people collecting welfare, housing assistance, WIC, Food Stamps, and other freebies, $1,500 a month would be a huge cut in their monthly government provided income subsistence.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How can anyone live on 1500 a month. I guess it depends on where you live but where is that.
In Atlanta if you live by yourself you can live off $1500 a month depending on the neighborhood where you live. Also, I am from NW Ohio and one can live off that as well. I have an aunt who lives off $1000 a month in Toledo, OH but she owns her own house and car outright so has no monthly payments to make.

People who don't live off credit are usually the ones who can do it.

I could because I am super cheap, also mine is a bit misleading in that I have a husband who works, so I would figure he'd get $1500 a month too and that'd make $3000 for our family. That would easily be doable for us since that is what we live off of now (we make more than that, but I try to live off $40K per year or less for actual living expenses - exclusive of vacations and "stuff" for us and the kids, which includes weekend getaways, summer camps, extra-curricular activities for the kids and for us parents).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
For some people collecting welfare, housing assistance, WIC, Food Stamps, and other freebies, $1,500 a month would be a huge cut in their monthly government provided income subsistence.
Eh...the only one that people would really see IMO as a huge cut is housing assistance. Housing assistance payments per month easily run into the $1K or higher category depending on the area. WIC and food stamps are chump change in comparison and since a large amount of people on foodstamps are single older people, they don't even get $100 a month at times. My aunt who lives off $1000 a month gets food stamps and doesn't get $100 a month, she used to get $135 but they were cut when she got a new job to $100 then cut again to $92 recently. She would rather get the $1500 lol.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:51 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
If you are married and don't have any kids and live in a smaller town or metro area, that is $3000 between the two of you. My wife and I have figured out we could live quite comfortably on $3000 if we had a part time job and could make another $1000 between us to supplement this amount.

If you are single living alone or need to live in an expensive city or have kids, then the $1500 is a no go. But in our case, I say sign me up.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Once I would graduate from college, Yes, I would.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:27 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
With "fewer and fewer jobs", who is going to provide you with a basic income? The tooth fairy?
You obviously have a disconnect with the idea of what automation does. The job it replaces makes the same or more profit. In fact it redirects that employees cost into profit. You're not going to liek this answer, but lets look at what we are discussing.

Automation can and will replace the majority of the service industry. Self driving cars, manufacturing automation, and smart AI systems can replace 90% of the jobs out there. Its just a matter of time.

Disagree? Let me know why, I am honestly curious.

So im going to assume you agree. If only 10% of the people are working....what do we do with the other 90%? What are the choices? Give me an idea here.

And basic income? lets be real, 10% of the people will provide it....and easily. Guess what? I'm probably one of those 10% for the next 20 years. You're welcome.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

Sounds like they would finally have to get a job and become productive.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You obviously have a disconnect with the idea of what automation does. The job it replaces makes the same or more profit. In fact it redirects that employees cost into profit. You're not going to liek this answer, but lets look at what we are discussing.

Automation can and will replace the majority of the service industry. Self driving cars, manufacturing automation, and smart AI systems can replace 90% of the jobs out there. Its just a matter of time.

Disagree? Let me know why, I am honestly curious.

So im going to assume you agree. If only 10% of the people are working....what do we do with the other 90%? What are the choices? Give me an idea here.

And basic income? lets be real, 10% of the people will provide it....and easily. Guess what? I'm probably one of those 10% for the next 20 years. You're welcome.

The increased profit of automation goes to capital, which is kinda hard to tax, so I don't see where you're going to get the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies