Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

True story: A woman in front of me today was trying to buy cigarettes, two king-sized reese's cup packets and two mountain due soda bottles (20 oz). She was trying to swipe a card but it wasn't going through. She started blaming the clerk and he asked what type of card it was, she said "It's an EBT card, you don't take EBT cards?" The clerk said that they "certainly do." After 5 minutes of trying to get the card to work, she said "Just void the rest and give me the cigarettes." So the clerk voided the bag full of crap and scanned the cigarettes. Then she paid with the EBT card and it went through.

I thought you couldn't buy cigarettes with an EBT card? I just looked it up and everywhere say you can't do it, yet clearly she did. I also found a story about a NH clerk who was fired for refusing to process an EBT card for cigarettes. Does anyone know the real answer to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
EBT cards can be used if they also contain a cash component - some states load both a person's cash component and food allowance on the same card.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
EBT cards can be used if they also contain a cash component - some states load both a person's cash component and food allowance on the same card.
That makes sense, I thought there might be a "cash component" to the cards for discretionary spending. I guess she used hers up and could only afford one item. I don't mind helping people with food, but I don't think they should be able to use any public funds to buy things like cigarettes.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
TANF recipients get some cash, which can be loaded onto the same EBT cars as food stamps. So an EBT card has two components, food and cash, withh no spending restrictions on the cash component.

Non-TANF food stamp recipients always have a cash balance of zero.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
True story: A woman in front of me today was trying to buy cigarettes, two king-sized reese's cup packets and two mountain due soda bottles (20 oz). She was trying to swipe a card but it wasn't going through. She started blaming the clerk and he asked what type of card it was, she said "It's an EBT card, you don't take EBT cards?" The clerk said that they "certainly do." After 5 minutes of trying to get the card to work, she said "Just void the rest and give me the cigarettes." So the clerk voided the bag full of crap and scanned the cigarettes. Then she paid with the EBT card and it went through.

I thought you couldn't buy cigarettes with an EBT card? I just looked it up and everywhere say you can't do it, yet clearly she did. I also found a story about a NH clerk who was fired for refusing to process an EBT card for cigarettes. Does anyone know the real answer to this?

Good to know we are contributing to her cancer sticks.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Good to know we are contributing to her cancer sticks.
You'll soon be paying for her O'care so she can have her subsidized lung transplant.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:

Reese's $1.25, Mountain Dew $1.35, and cig $8.50

Paying for her diabetes and upper respiratory problems via ObamaCare....priceless!

And people can't understand why I say I have transitioned to being a pro-nanny-state voter.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:44 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:

But why wouldn't the card work in the first place? Why would only scanning the cigarettes go through? Makes no sense to me. I think it's a flaw in that system since you can't buy cigs with that.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But why wouldn't the card work in the first place? Why would only scanning the cigarettes go through? Makes no sense to me. I think it's a flaw in that system since you can't buy cigs with that.
My guess is she didn't have enough money to buy the total, so when they took the other things off she had enough left.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
My guess is she didn't have enough money to buy the total, so when they took the other things off she had enough left.
But the system shouldn't have taken the cigs or the cashier should not have allowed it. Somehow, the system was flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies