Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
BS I only have a HS diploma and was a Construction Manager on a 47 unit project in my 30's.I can build or manage any project hands on.You need a degree people have just complicated things to where us pros just moved on and left you behind as a bad dream.My company is doing great without the BS. stick your degree I do it cheaper on time and without a high turnover or unhappy employees slitting each others throat .I live in happyland
You and a couple of other people seem to have taken my comment way to personal even though it was not at all a jab at anyone nor was it meant to be condescending

Im was not talking about your personal opinion on whether or not you can do the job, I was talking about the reality of the world where some jobs do require you to have a B.A. just to apply.

regardless of if you believe it is right or not, it does happen and that is what i was talking about in my comment.

Next time, calm down and think before you post.

Last edited by dsjj251; 12-08-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You can not move up simply by being good at your job.
You couldn't be more wrong
. For 35 years my husband (who only has a high school degree) has worked in the oil and gas industry. He's worked his way from the very bottom up to the upper levels, has worked in 49 states and six different countries. And every step of the way he has promoted and helped those who were good at their job. Degree or no degree. Many of the superintendents who work in our industry have no degrees but instead know more about the industry than those that have degree's. There's a lot to be said for experience and hard work....
Dude, you cut out 85% of my comment just so you could post this B.S. response. What was the point of taking my comment out of context just to go on your mini rant ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I always thought "Dead end job"meant you had no way of moving up, there for, its a dead end.

FOR EXAMPLE, if you only have a high school degree and the next position above you requires a B.A. then it is impossible for you to be promoted outside of going back to school. You can not move up simply by being good at your job.
so yea, only highlighting the last sentence i wrote does indeed make me wrong if that was all i wrote, but i didnt, i explained what i was saying in the previous sentences.

Seriously , you had to quote that one line, by deleting everything else i wrote, so you obviously had to read up to that point, what was the point of trying to lie .. or did you really just not understand what i was saying ???

Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 PM

18 posts, read 14,871 times
Because didn't you know the true movers and shakers, deserving people of wealth, are those who simply make money on wall street by doing absolutely nothing but taking advantage of other people's hard work.

Henry Ford writes about this in detail and it's even worse today.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. For 35 years my husband (who only has a high school degree) has worked in the oil and gas industry. He's worked his way from the very bottom up to the upper levels, has worked in 49 states and six different countries. And every step of the way he has promoted and helped those who were good at their job. Degree or no degree. Many of the superintendents who work in our industry have no degrees but instead know more about the industry than those that have degree's. There's a lot to be said for experience and hard work....
Yes, that is called drive. You have to have allot of drive. You have to want to relocate, work all kinds of shifts even if that means graveyard shifts for several years, work holidays etc. Many people are not willing to do that.
But some jobs require a college degree. You can not x up unless you have it . Maybe things were different a long time ago when most jobs could be taught without a degree. I'm taking jobs like accounting, not skilled trades.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 12-08-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM

313 posts, read 329,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

I've been a blue collar worker my whole life, I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know what I look down on? A man who has not the first clue how to fix his plumbing or wire something properly or build a structure with square corners. Just because you sit in a cubicle typing on a computer all day doesn't make you better than me.
So you look down on people because of their line of work but complain when they look down on you. OK
Doesn't make you better than them either.

Who cares if they look down on you. If you work doing something you love that pays the bills it don't matter.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Wow you are quite the deep thinker,making fun of me is sooo cooool.
No, making fun of the Tea Party is just easy! You on the other hand I don't pay much attention to. I personally don't know you so I'm not making fun of you. Just the Tea Party organization you're affiliated with...

You've been served... Ooo...

Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it started when the liberals decided they could all be easily replaced with third world illegal immigrants.
And removed vo-tech type classes from high schools and pushed everyone to go to college, get a liberal arts degree, and then wonder why no one wants to hire them with zero real world skills.

It's amazing how those same people twist not wanting to raise the minimum wage into looking down on anyone who works with their hands. The problem is those people who think that pushing a broom or flipping a burger should pay the same as someone with real skills.

No one thinks a blue collar worker shouldn't make a decent wage, the problem is too many people aren't putting for the effort to be worth a decent wage.

Mike Rowe Explains the Skills Gap at SkillsUSA 2013 « mikeroweWORKS

Old 12-08-2013, 11:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Now it's the very liberal Obama who expanded NAFTA so that cheap foreign truckdrivers can put American drivers out of work and wants to add 11 to 30 million cheap foreign workers to the legal labor force.
Schneider (largest trucking company in the US) is hiring and will pay for your training, put you in a truck, and send you straight out onto the road... there's a shortage of truckers and plenty of companies are clamoring, as long as you don't have a ton of points on your license or any DUI's work isn't hard to find. I really don't know what you're talking about.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There was a time in this country when working people were respected, people who were satisfied to work a blue collar job their entire career.

We went to a movie last night called "Out of the Furnace" Part of the movie description said "a man with a dead end job". Why? Because he wore a hard hat everyday and sweated for 8 hours a day? Why is that something to be looked down on?

I've been a blue collar worker my whole life, I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you know what I look down on? A man who has not the first clue how to fix his plumbing or wire something properly or build a structure with square corners. Just because you sit in a cubicle typing on a computer all day doesn't make you better than me.

Look at the way people on this forum rip on working people every day, they don't even want the lowest people on the rung, people who are at least willing to do a job-to have a decent wage.

You will be judged someday on how you treat the least of your brothers. Have you ever heard the bible phrase "If not for the grace of God, there go I"?
Perhaps its the fact that uneducated, blue collar types tend to be insecure about their stations in life....as evidenced by your need to create a thread to rant about a work of fiction.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Harrier has works with his hands everyday since 1997.

He has unloaded trucks, stocked shelves, returned shopping carts, worked a sales floor, taken inventory, pulled orders, repaired computers, performed production tests on electronics devices, fed machinery for recyclable material, cleaned out dumpsters, kept books, ran a small non-profit business, performed customer service duties, solved problems over the phone, through e-mail, and chat interfaces, been a team leader, and a unit president, and have been employed in many other faculties which cannot be described properly in a forum like this.

Please elaborate on what skills or knowledge or expertise that Harrier is lacking, if you do not think that he is worthy of such recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies