Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Ah, no. I am talking about the individual civil servant who abuses their authority, but are technically still abiding by the law. This can impact business or the individual. It can range from a senior appointed or SES position, all the way down to some GS-7 position (in regards to feds), to a cop, to code enforcement. This person has the resources of the gov they can use, whereas the individual or company does not.
You cringe in fear from roving bands of GS-7's cruising about on their own authority enforcing arcane regulations that you haven't managed to comply with? What a sorry state of affairs!

Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
This is a no-brainer. People run governments and people run large corporations. People can be so easily corrupted, paid off and led down garden paths. My parents taught me from the time I was 10 to always look under the surface, question authority and look for bias in journalism. The horror of how it is today, is that you don't even NEED to look under the surface. It's all right out there in the open. Monopolies of utilities companies, the price of gas, the taxes we pay, come on.. at every level, we are bent over nicely.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:01 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
My thesis advisor didn't. Of course, that was a long time ago. These days, it would be more people asking me to speak at charity luncheons and so forth. Do you do a lot of that sort of thing yourself?

You blather at drooling liberal toads...can I touch you with a stick?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:05 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
You have the BEST Government that MONEY will BUY!

If YOU DON’T LIKE IT, KEEP THE LOBBYISTS OUT OF WASHINGTON!

Old 12-08-2013, 03:33 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If YOU DON’T LIKE IT, KEEP THE LOBBYISTS OUT OF WASHINGTON!
Lobbying is actually a protected Constitutional right. This is why Obama had to back off of the original restrictions that had been imposed on White House lobbying. There is only so far you can go,

Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
You cringe in fear from roving bands of GS-7's cruising about on their own authority enforcing arcane regulations that you haven't managed to comply with? What a sorry state of affairs!
Goodness, you are really reading into stuff a bit too much, on purpose of course.

No, I do not "crouch in fear" over anyone cruising around (I am a former fed worker after all).

You obviously are either naive or obtuse if you think no one ever has abused their position in government. Heck, there is an army of regulations to prevent this along with the OIG for the departments. If it was not an issue, these would have never been created in the first place.

An example: the EEOC was fined by an ALJ for continue harassment of a company over what the EEOC called violations, thought an ALJ already ruled the company was not in violation. because of this harassment, the EEOC ended having to pay the company for their expense from the harassment.

EEOC Slapped with Order to Pay $4.6 Million for Pursuing Unreasonable and Groundless Discrimination Claims - Employers' Lawyers Blog

This is one of many examples. And you know who initiates this stuff? That is right, it could have been a simple GS-7 compliance investigator, and this person may rise into a regional director position with a chip on their shoulder against this company, and again use the gov's resources to pursue something.

It could be a code inspector, who for some reason does not like you, maybe you were found in compliance when the inspector stated you were not, and singles you out for any little thing that can happen, even filing stuff just to keep you busy. It could be the cop you turned in for doing something wrong, now this cop is harassing you and the gov is doing next to nothing about it because after all, the cop is technically not doing anything wrong.

You sound like some gov lackey who thinks every gov worker is just an angel, heck, they will not even give blanket Lexus Nexus access to gov workers who need it due to the huge potential for abuse.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Yes. Furthermore, the United States was founded on a distrust of government.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:16 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Do you distrust government?

Sadly, yes I do, and I never thought I'd live long enough to see this state of affairs.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Do you think you are being told that certain things are not happening when indeed they are?
No, I don't let paranoia catch up with reality.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Do you think you are being told that certain things are not happening when indeed they are?

Do you distrust your government?

question....why do YOU want to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies