Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,117,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Suppose this baker specifically markets his product as Christian Wedding cakes. Perhaps they are themed, with maybe Bible verses. Suppose it is clearly obvious that his shop is a Christian bakery? Let's further assume that this gay pair knew that it was a Crhistian business.

I would have to ask, why did they target this bakery (and yes, I used the word 'target' on purpose)?

These are obviously (to me anyway) two militant homosexual activists. They chose this shop on purpose. It was their intent to sue (I wonder how much they are seeking in "damages," — which don't exist?).

They have not been harmed in any way. I think this judge should have told them they had no case.

My belief is that the judge is forcing them to be a participant in a practice that violates their religious convictions. If they believe God, but then agree to participate in what they know God forbids, and what God calls sin, are they not sinning against God?

Doesn't "separation of Church and state" apply here? Or do we apply that unequally?
Many homosexuals are Christian.

The judge has to rule on the laws of the state.
Quote:
Colorado Law prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation based on certain protected classes (characteristics). Examples of prohibited discriminatory practices include: terms of service; denial of full and equal service; intimidation; failure to accommodate; access; conditions; privileges; advertising; and retaliation. A place of public accommodation can be a: bar; restaurant; financial institution; school or educational institution; health club; theater; hospital; museum or zoo; hotel or motel; public club; retail store; medical clinic; public transportation; nursing home; recreational facility or park; and library.
Colorado law prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation based on actual or perceived sexual orientation. By legal definition, sexual orientation means heterosexuality, homosexuality (lesbian or gay), bisexuality, and transgender status. Transgender status means a gender indentity or gender expression that differs from societal expectations based on gender assigned at birth.
DORA Division of Civil Rights - Public Accommodations Discrimination

By opening and operating a business, the owner is required to follow the laws of the state. Sorry, but your religious beliefs do not exempt you from following the law.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,314,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If the business owner will not operate under the rules and regulations as stated in the agreement he signed as a condition of opening his business, he should not be in business.
Exactly what agreement would that be that the business owner signed? Cite?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,604,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That only grants you permission to open a business within a certain jurisdiction.
It's a license to operate a business.

A business owner doesn't accept a license. They are the ones applying for it.
The city, county, state "accepts" the application and approves it.

They usually contain effective date, expiration date and name of business.

There's no code of conduct on a business license.
When one applies for a business license, one does so with the understanding that the business must be operated as per the laws in the state, county, municipality the business is located in.
The applications are pretty clear about this.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:00 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,117,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That only grants you permission to open a business within a certain jurisdiction.
It's a license to operate a business.

A business owner doesn't accept a license. They are the ones applying for it.
The city, county, state "accepts" the application and approves it.

They usually contain effective date, expiration date and name of business.

There's no code of conduct on a business license.
By opening a place of public accommodation the person opening the business now has to follow the laws of public accommodations. Just like by becoming a licenses driver means you have to follow the laws regarding the operation of a motor vehicle.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,201,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
His religious beliefs forbid him to bake cakes for gay people? What kind of stupid belief system is that?

Should be allowed to refuse service to black people too? What if he were a doctor? Should he be allowed to refuse to treat gay people?

We'll never outlaw bigotry, but we CAN outlaw discrimination disguised as "freedom of religion".
The color of one's skin is not a behavior. Homosexuality is. And it is called sin, by God.

Would one be a bigot if one were against pedophiles? Are we so loosly defining bigotry now?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 AM

40,920 posts, read 48,877,037 times
A place as big as Denver, you'd think there would be a few Gay Bakeries or people who WANT their business.

Why even give your business to an Unfriendly LGBT business ?

To prove your point.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The application, licensing agreement, etc. that one must fill out and sign in order to open a business.
Well you incorporate or get some other legal document to create business.
The license is the legal document from the city, county, state that lets you operate in their jurisdiction.

You don't "apply" to someone to create a business.

Discrimination laws are not on these legal documents.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,139,037 times
Quote:
The color of one's skin is not a behavior. Homosexuality is. And it is called sin, by God.

Would one be a bigot if one were against pedophiles? Are we so loosly defining bigotry now?
What you are purposefully failing to understand is that a homosexual's behavior is governed by factors that are beyond their control. Could you change your behavior to be attracted to a member of the same sex, if you wanted to? Then why could someone who is homosexual? And, in case you haven't realized by now, not everyone believes in your particular god, nor does your god or your religion have any bearing on the legal policies of the state of Colorado, or the United States in general. Seriously, you are talking about god and sin like it actually means something.

And once again, you fail to understand the concept of consent. Pedophiles are sexually attracted to people who are not old enough, wise enough, or experienced enough to consent to such relationships.

Seriously, are you still stuck in the first grade or something? I think we need to petition the forum administrator to change your name from nononsenseguy to nonsenseguy, or even better, just nonsense.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 12-08-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A place as big as Denver, you'd think there would be a few Gay Bakeries or people who WANT their business.

Why even give your business to an Unfriendly LGBT business ?

To prove your point.
The pursuit of social justice is the only reason they need.
Especially when rulings all over the country have been in their favor.
Photographers, florists, bakers. I don't think there's been any ruling in favor of the business owner yet.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,047,518 times
Quote:
Sexual orientation is a made up term for a perverted class of individuals. "Hmmm, let's see ... female today, or male? What do I feel like?"

Ones gender is determined upon conception, and it is either male or female. If you "choose" to be something other than what you were when born, it is by choice. Period.
What in God's name are you talking about? I'm a gay man. I've never wavered in my "choice" of being a man (nor have I ever wavered in my "choice" of being gay). My gayness has nothing to do with my manliness.

Last edited by hammertime33; 12-08-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies