Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Well, depending on who you ask there could be dozens if not hundreds of valid reasons. Adultery? Death. Thoughts of adultery? Death. Working on the Sabbath? Death. I'm certainly not saying I support such nonsense, but this is the biblical view that many Orthodox Jews and even many Christians take. Killing someone for a supposed sin is not murder.
only a specific court (which has not existed for almost 2000 years) has permission to kill someone for those sins. vigilante justice is forbidden.

Quote:
Heck, depending on the level of radical-ness, I've heard some say simply being a gentile is a valid reason.
100% not true.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
What did Jesus say about homosexuality?

This is the fourth in a series of articles, by The Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson, Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire, and visiting Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress, Washington, DC, examining the Biblical texts traditionally used to address the issue of homosexuality from a religious (Jewish and Christian) perspective.
What Jesus Says about Homosexuality:

That's right. Jesus is not recorded as having said anything related to intimate sexual relationships between people of the same gender. One has to wonder, if homosexuality is such a heinous sin against God, why does Jesus himself never refer to it? One cannot extrapolate affirmation of such relationships from that silence, but still, why no mention of an issue now causing entire churches to split?
Guest Voices: What did Jesus say about homosexuality? - On Faith at washingtonpost.com

Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Well, depending on who you ask there could be dozens if not hundreds of valid reasons. Adultery? Death. Thoughts of adultery? Death. Working on the Sabbath? Death. Heck, depending on the level of radical-ness, I've heard some say simply being a gentile is a valid reason. I'm certainly not saying I support such nonsense, but this is the biblical view that many Orthodox Jews and even many Christians take. Killing someone for a supposed sin is not murder.

OK. Then I believe we're on the same page. As I've said, I'm a person of faith, but I'm pretty sure that the God I believe in doesn't want someone to kill another person "in His name." I sure as Hell wouldn't take the life of someone just because they're "different" than myself. Now, in defense of myself, or my family where there is a serious threat of bodily harm..... well... now that is a bit different.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
But.... but..... but.....

It's right there with Jesus saying everyone should have a gun 'cause He gave America the 2nd Amendment.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
only a specific court (which has not existed for almost 2000 years) has permission to kill someone for those sins. vigilante justice is forbidden.

100% not true.
I beg to differ. Search Youtube and you'll find radical Rabbi's touting such crap. I should have changed my sentence from "many" to a "a radical sect" but they are out there.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM

In case anyone actually thinks that I don't think very strongly against murder.

If someone will shoot me and my family, if refuse to murder a gay person (who Judaism considers worthy of death for practicing homosexuality) who was deathly ill, I would not kill the gay person because that will be murder and If was murdered because of it so be it.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I beg to differ. Search Youtube and you'll find radical Rabbi's touting such crap. I should have changed my sentence from "many" to a "a radical sect" but they are out there.
you said show me the proof.

you most likely didn't understand what was said

Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Would a good, encouraging sign of maturity mean abolishing civil rights laws?
One thing you can always count on is that force engenders resentment. People who may love icecream will resist if you try to force it down their throats.

With regard to the civil rights movement of the 1960's, there was a clear need to do something to mitigate the extremely unfair treatment of black people by some,e, but by no means all or even a majority. An interesting fact that liberals are either ignorant of or choose not to address is that it was the southern democrats that fought tooth and nail against the civil rights act. In any case, I would suggest that while taking a couple of aspirins to cure a headache is reasonable, taking the whole bottle is not wise. Likewise with the evolution of anti-descrimination laws today, and other "leveling the playing field" efforts like quotas and such are counter productive, for several reasons. One, they create the illusion of an environment which appears much more hostile to minorities, than actually exists. This creates racial tensions, distrust and divisiveness, rather than a spirit of cooperation and mutual respect. But it's not surprising that people and government would exploit this for their own benefit .... the Jessie Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world exist solely by convincing black people that "white America" is still out to get them, and without their leadership, blacks would wind up back in the cotton field. This is psychological exploitation, that builds dependence in one group, resentment in another, and hostility between everyone. Of course, this is the goal ... divide and conquer.

One of the big clues that this type of manufactured tension is being deliberately created is the asinine promotion of this "wedding cake" as national news. While there are so many disastrous problems facing us policically and economically, the entire world in a global financial meltdown, China and Japan threatening war with each other, wars raging in the middle east ... two gay guys can't get one baker to bake them a cake becomes national news? We've become a nation of nitwits, behaving and reacting like two year olds, and the manipulators are laughing all the way to the bank, as they continue to bleed us all dry.

That's right, smart guy .... you belong to the useful idiot club that makes this manipulation-exploitation-diversion soooo easy to facilitate by the manipulators who need only press a button, pull a string, and have you all dancing like puppets to whatever tune they decide to make you dance to.

Like Pavlov's dogs .... they ring the bell, and you drool. Brilliant you people are not .. gullible, absolutely.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:35 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Because the OT speaks of it in negative terms, and there are plenty of verses in the NT that do not support homosexuality. Even Jesus say marriage was designed between a man and a woman.
You haven't studied the Bible very much I see. Leviticus only speaks against it in certain circumstances and only applicable to certain people. Lesbians are never even mentioned, so it has nothing to do with gay people. The New Testament only mentions anything remotely related to it, twice, one of which is pretty much a proven corruption, the other of which even Saint Augustine said applied to heterosexuals.

And Jesus never said marriage was exclusive to heterosexuals, he merely mentioned man and woman as a discussion on the topic of divorce.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:

One of the big clues that this type of manufactured tension is being
deliberately created is the asinine promotion of this "wedding cake" as national
news. While there are so many disastrous problems facing us policically and
economically, the entire world in a global financial meltdown, China and Japan
threatening war with each other, wars raging in the middle east ... two gay guys
can't get one baker to bake them a cake becomes national news? We've become a
nation of nitwits, behaving and reacting like two year olds, and the
manipulators are laughing all the way to the bank, as they continue to bleed us
all dry.

That's right, smart guy .... you belong to the useful idiot
club that makes this manipulation-exploitation-diversion soooo easy to
facilitate by the manipulators who need only press a button, pull a string, and
have you all dancing like puppets to whatever tune they decide to make you dance
to.

Like Pavlov's dogs .... they ring the bell, and you drool.
Brilliant you people are not .. gullible, absolutely.
Here's a thought......make gay unions legal from sea to shining sea, and all this will go away. Then folks can concentrate on the real problems, like wars, outsourcing and financial meltdowns.
And yes, you're the only one who understands, the only one who isn't gullible, and the only one who isn't a useful idiot. How's the rarified air up there on your pedestal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies