Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
"We reserve the RIGHT"
A sign in the window of a store does not trump state laws.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
It's not about patronizing someone you like or not. They're just not allowed to break the law.
I think that's part of it, but I'm not sure it should even be the law. How big is the business? I don't know that relatively small businesses should be bound by such laws. I could see if it was a mall or something, but I think a smaller business should be able to have more flexibility in operation.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:23 PM

723 posts, read 633,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think that's part of it, but I'm not sure it should even be the law. How big is the business? I don't know that relatively small businesses should be bound by such laws. I could see if it was a mall or something, but I think a smaller business should be able to have more flexibility in operation.
A small business could be the only grocery store for 100 miles. They need to serve people equally just as much as anyone else. A country store, to continue that example, can't refuse black people either. Or Christians. This isn't like a small business being saddled with an extra fee, expensive requirement, tax or anything like that. It's basic anti-discrimination law.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
A small business could be the only grocery store for 100 miles. They need to serve people equally just as much as anyone else. A country store, to continue that example, can't refuse black people either. Or Christians. This isn't like a small business being saddled with an extra fee, expensive requirement, tax or anything like that. It's basic anti-discrimination law.
It's not a grocery store though, it's not exactly an essential service. I could see if the law was limited to essential service, but I don't see why a devout christian should have to make a cake for or photograph a same-sex wedding. If I owned a cake place or photography studio I might not want to take on certain clients for various reasons, that should be a small business choice, and others will fill in the market gap. More business for them.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM

723 posts, read 633,918 times
Quote:
It's not a grocery store though, it's not exactly an essential service. I could see if the law was limited to essential service, but I don't see why a devout christian should have to make a cake for or photograph a same-sex wedding. If I owned a cake place or photography studio I might not want to take on certain clients for various reasons, that should be a small business choice, and others will fill in the market gap. More business for them.
All businesses are required to treat all customers equally, based on certain traits and often depending on where you are. No business is allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation in Colorado, period. The business owner's religious beliefs have absolutely no bearing on that, just like they have no bearing on any other traits covered by anti-discrimination law.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
All businesses are required to treat all customers equally, based on certain traits and often depending on where you are. No business is allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation in Colorado, period. The business owner's religious beliefs have absolutely no bearing on that, just like they have no bearing on any other traits covered by anti-discrimination law.
Why? The US Constitution guarantees freedom of and from religion. If I form a sole proprietorship, why shouldn't the US Constitution trump some local law?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
His religious beliefs forbid him to bake cakes for gay people? What kind of stupid belief system is that?

Should be allowed to refuse service to black people too? What if he were a doctor? Should he be allowed to refuse to treat gay people?

We'll never outlaw bigotry, but we CAN outlaw discrimination disguised as "freedom of religion".
So much for diversity of thought, respecting people's religious beliefs & coexisting huh? Should "Progressive" cities be able to discriminate against Chick-Fil-A's from opening?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Just make the cake taste super super sweet, where nobody eats it
You need to learn to let yourself be loved by God...

Old 12-07-2013, 11:23 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Why? The US Constitution guarantees freedom of and from religion. If I form a sole proprietorship, why shouldn't the US Constitution trump some local law?
Freedom of religion does not mean one has freedom to discriminate using ones religion. The business owner decided to interject their religion into their business where it does not belong. This whole thing is stupid as all the rest are, religion does not mean one is not subject to law.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:26 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
However, of course the discrimination of the business owner's religious beliefs is a non-issue.
Nothing about his religion involves his baking or selling cakes. That's what the judge said about the matter, anyway. Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies