Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
When I was at my university I had my healthcare covered by the university through my tuition costs. So it would have made no sense to sign up for ACA if I already had health insurance. Plus thanks to ACA young people can stay on their parents' healthcare plan until 26, which is good because it is common for those under 26 to work part time jobs and jobs that didn't provide health insurance to begin with, and the ones that aren't on their parents' plan now has a way to get affordable healthcare.
We had insurance through our University when we were in college also - it was a free and you used the University Health center. Our parents still covered us under a Hospitalization plan, that was back in the 1960's. Our kids basically did the same thing when they went to college and they were covered under our Employer Insurance plan as long as they were in college - we had to submit college transcripts to verify that.

If it's really the case that "those under 26 work part time jobs", and can't get insurance ….. that's amazing and very sad. Both my kids were employed right out of college (at age 22) with jobs paying $40-50,000 and by age 26 were making at least 10 grand above starting wage. They both had insurance. Kids need to get degrees in subjects that will provide them a job and avoid the "part time" jobs years after they graduate.

As others have posted -- Colleges and Universities are dropping their insurance coverage for students OR they are raising the prices by a lot. They are under the same ObamaCare mandates for coverage that that all insurance companies are under (except for the Presidential decrees that waive that law). Some kids under age 26 will certainly lose their coverage because their parent's policy will be cancelled.

The interesting thing about the video is that so many of these kiddos had no clue at all about the mandated ACA. This is Obama's "base". I guess they think they will be under age 26 forever and Mommy & Daddy will be paying their bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm not a rocket scientist but maybe because they can stay on their parents medical plan longer now... And I wonder who made that possible...
Yes -- that was short sighted considering that he also now says enough young people have to enroll in his obamacare to pay for the very ill who are getting on it fast.

Taking out all the young able bodied wasn't so smart. It looks like the elderly and very ill will end up having to pay their own way after all.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:29 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- that was short sighted considering that he also now says enough young people have to enroll in his obamacare to pay for the very ill who are getting on it fast.

Taking out all the young able bodied wasn't so smart. It looks like the elderly and very ill will end up having to pay their own way after all.
Pardon for noting the obvious but the scandal involving "lack of young people participation" was almost entirely conceived and still is being pushed by those with an anti-ACA agenda who, for some unknown reason , conveniently forgot that new age 26 feature.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
"I thought it was supposed to be free". No word yet on her pony and ice cream.

Comical: University Students Explain Why They Haven't Signed Up for ObamaCare | Independent Journal Review

Many of these students are most likely on their parents plan! Because Obamacare allows students to stay on their plan until the age of 26. It makes sense for them to definately stay on their parents plan.

I don't see how this is comical or how this is detrimental to Obamacare.. it's basically the students saying they haven't signed up and that they will.. so what's your point/

Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Many of these students are most likely on their parents plan! Because Obamacare allows students to stay on their plan until the age of 26. It makes sense for them to definately stay on their parents plan.

I don't see how this is comical or how this is detrimental to Obamacare.. it's basically the students saying they haven't signed up and that they will.. so what's your point/
The comical part was the last "college student" who thought Obamacare was free

Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Pardon for noting the obvious but the scandal involving "lack of young people participation" was almost entirely conceived and still is being pushed by those with an anti-ACA agenda who, for some unknown reason , conveniently forgot that new age 26 feature.
Actually Obama's scheme is to have the young and healthy helping to pay for the old and ill. He never told the public that the old and sick uninsured were going to be on their own in his plan.

How well is an insurance plan where only the elderly and ill are paying in?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:52 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
"Independent Journal Review" is nothing but a neo-con pandering site. Nothing to see here, folks.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Oh now that is funny. You evidently are not up on how crappy and costly the new OBAMACARE policies are.
Certainly no worse than the individual policies available before Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I was about to do the "in before 'they can stay on their parents' insurance'", but thought people weren't stupid enough to respond with something like that, particularly because their parents don't have to insure their kids if they don't want.
You can knock of the "in before. . " stuff any time now. If you don't want to discuss something, don't start these inane threads.

Parents don't have to insure their kids, but most colleges require FT students to have insurance, so the students have to get it somewhere. Staying on the parents' policy is usually the least expensive way to do so.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 AM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The comical part was the last "college student" who thought Obamacare was free
No more comical than some of the other stuff that people "think" are in it from the conservative right.. again.. what's your point.. there are many on ALL sides who are misinformed about it....

It's not funny.. it's actually sad.. maybe he got that impression from right wing media and right wing people that constantly refer to it as if it's "free" healthcare for someone (accept for them as they seem to have to pay for everyone else.. )..

It's pathetic.. but that's what you get when you get people who report on lies, distortions and not the facts.. FAUX News is guilty of this....BIG TIME>

Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Certainly no worse than the individual policies available before Obamacare.

OK, so my shiny new ObamaNation Policy will pay just $2,500 on $10,000 in family medical bills. That's a $5,000 family aggregate deductible (no benefits payable until $5,000 in family deductible is paid) plus 50% coinsurance on the excess, to a maximum out of pocket of $12,700. I never dreamed that I would ever have a policy that required me to pay out $7,500 of the first $10,000 in family medical bills each year, AND other people would be insisting that I had a red-hot good deal.

The new policy is certainly worse than the policy I liked but could NOT keep, on every one of the points listed. I can't figure out how they decided that most of the pain and cost and dislocation of trying to cover half the uninsured should fall on such a narrow sliver of society--people who have successfully used the individual insurance market to buy decent coverage, and who pay their own way. At least within a year or two, tens of million more will be paying closer attention.

Health care reform needs massive, bipartisan, structural reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies