Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I guess they really don't understand that we ARE in this together. Taking pleasure in people losing their jobs seems to be a conservative dream. However, we live in a society based on consumerism. When there is no one left with money to purchase anything ~ where will we all be then?
Just relating the truth; if workers demand $15/hr to flip a burger, jobs will go away.

Why is it, then when we warn libs about the folly of their ideas, and the consequences of their policies, unforeseen by them, that the libs accuse us of wanting it to happen? If I tell you not to touch a hot stove, and I roll my eyes at you when you do it anyway, don't blame me for rolling my eyes at your stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Bingo. Anyone noticed the self-serve checkout lines? Ordering Kiosks at Sheetz, and other type locations? Been around a long time. For some reason, conservatives want to think it's punishment. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves.
People like the personal interaction, to ask a cashier what options their are, to give their order to a person, and not having to type in everything yourself; which is like having to cook your own food. Self-serve is not as wonderful as you may think, it's why a lot of people don't like cafeteria styled cafe restaurants. A lot of folks like a sit down restaurant, with a waitress to take your order, not self-serve.

Don't tell me people want impersonal, robots that they need to operate, just to get fast food. If we wanted that, we'd already have that, because the technology has been around for decades already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
The days of a warm body and warm hands and feet are slowly ending,A basic college degree is not worth much more than what a high school education got you.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:11 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Harrier avoids McDonald's.

Not only does their food taste nothing like a hamburger place's food should, they don't have paper towels in their restrooms and the menus are now electronic and change right when you try to decide what to order.

The place is downright irritating.

Why go to McDonalds when there is In N Out and a plethora of mom and pop hamburger stands practically anywhere in L.A.?

Harrier can make his own hamburger at home.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:14 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
The days of a warm body and warm hands and feet are slowly ending,A basic college degree is not worth much more than what a high school education got you.
That's particularly true for social sciences and liberal arts fields. Hard sciences, or anything else requiring a modicum of intelligence, remains of highest value.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Doesn't look like raises are in their future any time soon.

Yahoo!
McDonald's Corp reported weaker-than-expected global sales at established restaurants for November, hurt by a sharp drop in comparable-store sales in the United States.
Same-restaurant sales fell 0.8 percent in the United States, widely missing the 0.3 percent gain expected on average by the 14 analysts polled by Consensus Metrix.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That's particularly true for social sciences and liberal arts fields. Hard sciences, or anything else requiring a modicum of intelligence, remains of highest value.
Social sciences require much more than a modicum of intelligence.

The job prospects for students in such majors is dependent on their own drive and initiative.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM

50,240 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'll rep you for this! Not just because I agree, but because it pisses off Maggie!
Education is free. It's what one does with it that matters I remember sex ed in school. Apparently that is the class a lot of people skipped out on.

Anyways, I love those kiosks. I just get a kick out of the line of people afraid to use them. Whatever takes a dirty human's hands out of the process of getting food from the oven to the plate I'm all for. It might save a few lives while we are at it.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Just relating the truth; if workers demand $15/hr to flip a burger, jobs will go away.

Why is it, then when we warn libs about the folly of their ideas, and the consequences of their policies, unforeseen by them, that the libs accuse us of wanting it to happen? If I tell you not to touch a hot stove, and I roll my eyes at you when you do it anyway, don't blame me for rolling my eyes at your stupidity.

People like the personal interaction, to ask a cashier what options their are, to give their order to a person, and not having to type in everything yourself; which is like having to cook your own food. Self-serve is not as wonderful as you may think, it's why a lot of people don't like cafeteria styled cafe restaurants. A lot of folks like a sit down restaurant, with a waitress to take your order, not self-serve.

Don't tell me people want impersonal, robots that they need to operate, just to get fast food. If we wanted that, we'd already have that, because the technology has been around for decades already.
The truth IS - that automation is NOT the result of demanding $15 per hour, now is it? If it were - we wouldn't already have self-checkout lines and kiosks wherever one looks. And workers are paid less than ever. So please don't try and feed me that chit about it being the result of greedy employees. More likely greedy employers.

With regard to personal interaction; most of my son's generation (age 18) absolutely does NOT want it. They prefer self-checkout, impersonal ordering; and online shopping. So, this is a trend that is here to stay and it doesn't matter if you LOWER miminum wage; the trend of automation and self-service will continue.

Remember full-service gasoline stations? Remember those?

Eye-roll at your own stupidity.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
I really believe that a number of you that posted on this thread do not understand business. In order for a company to remain in business it has to make a profit, why, most large companies like McDonalds, GM, Ford and clothing manufactures, are public traded companies, this means they have share holders that like to see a return on their investment, once you start to decrease profit everything else starts to decrease also, this is what drives a company out of business or forces it to move over seas. Like it or not a company is not in business to employ people, employment is a direct result of the success of the companies profits. When a company is struggling the fastest was to cut expenses is to start cutting employees, this has the most impact on a companies bottom line. So when you start touting a 15 dollar minimum wage, think of all those mom and pop companies that maybe forced out of business because you want to see large companies pay more. Remember these laws effect all businesses not just the large ones.

In my opinion it is the Food Service Union pushing this agenda, not for the benefit of the workers but for the benefit of the union.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 AM

24 posts, read 96,804 times
Thousands will be unemployed by the time McDonalds does through the entire U.S.! Burger King, Wendys..... will all follow suit. Bye Bye jobs, help millions of illegal aiens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Guess what?

McDonalds and others will deploy the touch screens and other technology no matter how much they are paying their workers.

Even if they only paid their workers $5 an hour.....the touch screens would still be cheaper.

They are not in business to supply jobs.....they are in business to make money. Let's not forget that.

Anyone who believes this is happening because of recent efforts to raise their worker's pay scale is just plain gullible.

Their plans to replace workers with technology have always been there, the recent upheaval about raising wages is just a happy accident......making it look like they were somehow forced into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies