Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Anyone who is pro-jobs should not celebrate this. I intentionally do not go to self-service cash registers for this reason.
You should avoid all places that use bar-codes while you are at it. That seriously cut down the number of cashiers needed as well as reduced workers needed for inventory tracking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Anyone who is pro-jobs should not celebrate this. I intentionally do not go to self-service cash registers for this reason.
I would normally agree with you on this, but my grocery store has a scanner you take around with you and scan your items as you shop always knowing exactly how much you are spending, and we bring our own bags so we bag as we go too, which means checking out only takes a couple minutes and we are already done with everything when we get to the automated cashier and have everything bagged.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You should avoid all places that use bar-codes while you are at it. That seriously cut down the number of cashiers needed as well as reduced workers needed for inventory tracking.
If I have a choice between self-service and service, I will always pick full service.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
If I have a choice between self-service and service, I will always pick full service.
Me too, there are always employees watching you anyway, as if you were trying to steal something.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And $15/hour for taking FF orders should be our new "minimum" wage for unskilled work ?
What's with the fascination with the $15.00 an hour as some princely sum?

Let's see:

$15.00x 40hrs. a week=$600.00 a week

52 weeks x $600.00=$31,200 a year, BEFORE any taxes and deductions!

In my area to be totally self sufficient with no roommates and no help from anyone, family or friends, you would be hard pressed and struggle to do it. It's still poverty or very low middle class/working class for even ONE person. Forget about much of a social life or marriage with that "bread".

It's 2013. Gas is almost $3.50 a gallon. Rent for a beater level apartment will run you $600.00 or a weeks pay, more after taxes.

Watch this:

Median income for a household should be almost $100,000 not $52,000.

A TED Talk on Income Inequality by Nick Hanauer - YouTube

This country is experiencing a shift in downward class migration. Here's an illustration

The Real Story Behind Downward Class Migration - YouTube

$15.00 an hour is NOTHING in 2013.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Here is the bottom line:

We can replace jobs with technology to teach those who cry out for a livable wage and then pay more taxes to support these people with welfare, etc....

Or, we can be pro-job and livable wage so that these people are able to support themselves and contribute to our economy through their own spending.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:26 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Here is the bottom line:

We can replace jobs with technology to teach those who cry out for a livable wage and then pay more taxes to support these people with welfare, etc....

Or, we can be pro-job and livable wage so that these people are able to support themselves and contribute to our economy through their own spending.
Which is why I am all for taxing companies that ship jobs overseas as well as taxing good that are imported into the country. Anything to make it more cost effective to create jobs in the US should be a primary goal.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Which is why I am all for taxing companies that ship jobs overseas as well as taxing good that are imported into the country. Anything to make it more cost effective to create jobs in the US should be a primary goal.
Agreed. However, we need to also make some sort of incentive for companies to pay a livable wage such as taxing companies, such as Walmart, for the number of their employees qualifying for entitlement programs.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Here is the bottom line:

Pretty much. Summed up my point. Good post.

Either way, we pay! LOL!!!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You seem to favor creating jobs for the sake of creating jobs as compared to adding value. See an earlier thread about abolishing earthmovers in favor of laborers hand digging with shovels. As has been oft-stated here, the purpose of a business is to generate profit, not to provide the most amount of jobs at a minimal profit for the entrepreneurs who invest in the company. The onus should be on the worker to bring something of value to the business more than a mere pair of hands with no skills behind them, and in that way maximize his worth and thus his own income.

Interviews should always include the question "So why should I hire you?" with a valid answer given which shows what the interviewee adds to the business beyond using up any excess oxygen in the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies