Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,433,491 times

Advertisements

Isn't it funny/convenient/easy for the gun grabbers to ignore facts?

I've pasted a whole lot of data with the links, but they don't want to address those. I guess, since you can't quantify "scary" very well, there isn't much data they can post.

It happens all the time. They scream about the number of kids killed "by guns", and I show a link proving that more kids drown in backyard pools. I ask that if they want to save kids, why aren't they calling for banning pools are making more protection mandatory, and they choose not to respond. Once again, pools aren't scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,680,293 times
Mental patients very often die of exposure, wonder into traffic, or die of accidents. The people in this area had no effective means of dealing with mental patients or at least did not attempt in a effective manner. It seems this person was already causing flags in his community stealing mail, etc. His death was just a matter of time. We must do better in every community in dealing with mental issues.

A casual check of Department of Justice, FBI, or a multiple of other agencies clearly indicate crime is real and is at your doorstep, mall, store, etc.

Justifiable use of deadly force is a legal term that has different definitions depending on the state. I encourage to review the laws in your state.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Let's review. I was talking about the support for people who DO shoot those who are either not posing any threat at all, or who may possibly be looking around in order to maybe consider committing a crime.
Specifically, who in this thread has endorsed shooting people who walk on your lawn? Who?

NOBODY.

I might as well say, "What concerns me are the gun grabbers who say it's ok to run over a person who you believe might have a gun."

Let's please stick with the events that this thread is discussing.

Quote:
Let's review something else. The guy went out into his yard and found the guy. I know, I know…"he's on his property and the guy has no duty to retreat and blah blah blah". But let's not paint this as an immediate threat. They were safe inside the house, and the guy went outside to see what was going on. Yes, the other guy apparently didn't stop when told to, and gave up his life because of it.

They called 911. They could have waited inside for the cops to arrive, and THEN…if the guy in the yard did enter the house by whatever means, all bets are off.

Let's review again: I don't begrudge someone who uses force, lethal force even, upon someone who has unlawfully entered their home. I don't accept shooting people outside your home because you think they might be a threat. It's not hard.
It is your choice to cower in your home if that is what YOU want to do.

If a working man provides food and clothes for his family with the tools he has in his truck, he has every right to use any force necessary to stop someone from removing his ability to provide for his family.

There are no guarantees in life that horrific accidents won't occur due to nothing more than bad luck. It could be in the form of a drunk exchange student getting left at a party who then starts banging on a door or window of the wrong house. It could be the man with a mental illness not knowing where he is.

If you want to prevent accidents like this involving guns are you also wanting to completely ban alcohol so we don't have any tragic deaths involving it? How about cars? How about pools? How about stairways? How about prescription drugs?

How far do you want to go to ensure that NOBODY dies from ANY ACCIDENT?

Yes, I know, guns are scary.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 PM

904 posts, read 685,095 times
Statistics show if you shoot more criminals, you have less criminals.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:27 PM

56,808 posts, read 25,754,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Isn't it funny/convenient/easy for the gun grabbers to ignore facts?

I've pasted a whole lot of data with the links, but they don't want to address those. I guess, since you can't quantify "scary" very well, there isn't much data they can post.

It happens all the time. They scream about the number of kids killed "by guns", and I show a link proving that more kids drown in backyard pools. I ask that if they want to save kids, why aren't they calling for banning pools are making more protection mandatory, and they choose not to respond. Once again, pools aren't scary.
There have been many safety regulations put in place for pools, fences, safety gates and those changes have prevented deaths. There have been changes put in place relative to DWI infractions and they have also saved lives. Those are facts.

For the 2 zillionth time no one is asking for a total ban on guns.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:32 PM

904 posts, read 685,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There have been many safety regulations put in place for pools, fences, safety gates and those changes have prevented deaths. There have been changes put in place relative to DWI infractions and they have also saved lives. Those are facts.

No one but this guy you mean....

Daily Kos: How to Ban Guns: A step by step, long term process

Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,312,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Specifically, who in this thread has endorsed shooting people who walk on your lawn? Who?
Ooooooohhhh….so I can only base my opinion on what is said specifically within the six pages of this thread only. No other information or history in this field of discussion is acceptable? Well, now that I know the rules...

Quote:
It is your choice to cower in your home if that is what YOU want to do.

If a working man provides food and clothes for his family with the tools he has in his truck, he has every right to use any force necessary to stop someone from removing his ability to provide for his family.
So, you would kill someone for taking screwdrivers and hammers out of your truck?? Wow, just…wow.

Quote:
There are no guarantees in life that horrific accidents won't occur due to nothing more than bad luck. It could be in the form of a drunk exchange student getting left at a party who then starts banging on a door or window of the wrong house. It could be the man with a mental illness not knowing where he is.

If you want to prevent accidents like this involving guns are you also wanting to completely ban alcohol so we don't have any tragic deaths involving it? How about cars? How about pools? How about stairways? How about prescription drugs?

How far do you want to go to ensure that NOBODY dies from ANY ACCIDENT?

Yes, I know, guns are scary.
The things you mentioned aren't accidents. Accidents are when you're cleaning your gun and it goes off and shoots your dog in the face. That's an accident. Shooting a drunk college kid who is banging on a door is not an accident. Going out into your yard and shooting a guy who is wandering around in it is not an accident. That's a choice. It may be a choice you approve of, and i don't, but it's a choice. Don't try to reduce those situations to "accidents".

And for the 44254358458340th time…pools have dozens if not hundreds of regulations surrounding their safety. Cars have thousands of regulations. Pretty sure alcohol does as well (you're not even allowed to have an open container outside in many places). Yet people want completely unfettered access to firearms, which are the only item I know of that can kill someone instantly from 500 feet away. I am not a gun-grabber. I'm not anti-gun. But, I have no respect for the "there should be absolutely no regulation on guns whatsoever" crowd. I know that there is no in between to some people. Do you believe that guns should be completely open, freely available, with no restrictions whatsoever?

Old 12-19-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:

List the regulations put on a private pool owner in Nebraska.

Quote:
Ooooooohhhh….so I can only base my opinion on what is said specifically within the six pages of this thread only. No other information or history in this field of discussion is acceptable? Well, now that I know the rules...
Don't play dumb. You went and tried to deliberating mislead what this case was about, or else you just didn't know the facts, then when it's shown that you are completely misrepresenting the facts, you say, "Well, I wasn't talking about this specific event."

It's the reason that when a specific issue is being discussed, it's best to stick with that issue.

Is this your first time on a forum?

Quote:
So, you would kill someone for taking screwdrivers and hammers out of your truck?? Wow, just…wow.
No, I (as in me) wouldn't kill someone for taking tools from my truck, because the ability for me to feed my family doesn't depend upon them. But, that's my call. If I were on a jury, I wouldn't convict anybody for shooting a person who was breaking into their car and steeling their tools.

I agree that tools are not worth a person's life, which is why I have constantly stated that people shouldn't risk their lives to steal tools from another person.

How many times has it been in the news where somebody has killed to steal shoes?

If we didn't live in a society where criminals killed for stealing $10 from pizza delivery guys, I would never condone shooting someone who is stealing; however, since these criminals have made it known that they might shoot you dead in order to take your stuff, they have made every criminal breaking in to your home or car a target.

The criminals are the ones who have started this. They are the ones who decided that they can take what they want. They are the ones who decided they can kill for $10. And yet you want to condemn the working man for defending his home and his property.

Quote:
The things you mentioned aren't accidents. Accidents are when you're cleaning your gun and it goes off and shoots your dog in the face. That's an accident. Shooting a drunk college kid who is banging on a door is not an accident. Going out into your yard and shooting a guy who is wandering around in it is not an accident. That's a choice. It may be a choice you approve of, and i don't, but it's a choice. Don't try to reduce those situations to "accidents".
When you shoot yourself because you pulled the trigger while cleaning what you thought was an empty gun, that is an accident. When you shoot someone because you thought they were a danger to you or your family and it turned out to be a drunk or mentally challenged person, that to is an accident.

The definition of accident:

Quote:
an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
When you unintentionally shoot a person who you believed was a criminal out to cause harm, that is an accident.

Quote:
And for the 44254358458340th time…pools have dozens if not hundreds of regulations surrounding their safety. Cars have thousands of regulations. Pretty sure alcohol does as well (you're not even allowed to have an open container outside in many places).
Name the hundreds of safety regulations for a homeowner's pool in Nebraska.

You can't go around with a gun out in the open in public places either.

Quote:
Yet people want completely unfettered access to firearms, which are the only item I know of that can kill someone instantly from 500 feet away. I am not a gun-grabber. I'm not anti-gun. But, I have no respect for the "there should be absolutely no regulation on guns whatsoever" crowd. I know that there is no in between to some people. Do you believe that guns should be completely open, freely available, with no restrictions whatsoever?
Where has anybody on this thread said that "guns should be completely open, freely available, with no restrictions whatsoever?" I don't see anywhere where anybody said this.

BTW, no I don't believe that should be the case.

Now, let me ask you this, do you believe the shooter in this case should be prosecuted?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM

46,166 posts, read 26,822,776 times
Quote:

But there are people, if given the chance, would...do you deny that?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,416,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I am saddened by this news story.

Suffering from Alzheimer's, Ga. man fatally shot - US news

So many now see anyone on their property as a potential killer and they shoot them. I am afraid for all our children, our elderly ourselves with this sick, pervasive attitude growing.

I remember a slogan from a crime prevention seminar "Never turn a crime of property into a crime of violence."

So please if you are cowering in your house-do this. Stay inside, hide, call the Police.
Sorry, but this is just anti-gun paranoia. The laws in most states allow the use of deadly force only to prevent death, serious injury, or sexual assault. When someone enters my home, I have no duty to retreat, but I am solely responsible for the defense of myself and family. Cops only investigate what happened and make sure the scene is safe for EMS personnel to enter and take care of the victims.

More unarmed people that are not a threat are shot by cops than by legally armed citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies