Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
When I was in college I lived with a friend and we split the rent and bills 50/50.

Wait, you went to college? Reading your posts, I find that hard to believe. Please tell me what college it is so I can make sure nobody else has to go there and I can pressure my member of Congress to cut off all financial aid to what is clearly a steaming pile of monkey dung masquerading as a college.

I went to school and worked. She worked but partied on her days off. When I graduated I got a job that paid more. She said, you should pay more of the rent since you make more. Do you think I should have paid more?

One of my favorite right wing tactics, the personal, and obviously fake anecdote.
Careful! When I said it was clearly a fake, my post was removed for trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Tell us more about this fictional girl you roommated with in "college," was she hot for a fictional girl?

Actually no, in a roommate situation, 50/50 is usually the typical unless there is a difference in room sizes. If your room was much bigger than hers, I can understand you paying more in rent.
lol. how typical. See, I had the car that we both used so yes, I got the bigger room. She would use it while I was at work then come get me when I got off. During the day she walked to work, I drove to school. The funny thing is when she said that I told her I disagreed and explained my thinking. She must have agreed because she agreed and it was never brought up again.

And ps, we got along very well. She took care of this old guy who she said kept doing things. One day I came home from school and she was there unexpectedly. When asked why she said she couldn't take the old guy grabbing at her anymore. I said I was surprised she didn't sooner then we got our heads together to figure out how we were going handle the bills. She just bought a boom box and other stuff to take to the pool. We jumped in the car and returned it. It still wasn't enough so I covered the difference. She got another job within the month. We were a team. She wasn't the type to expect someone else pay her way and every time bills came due we both had enough to pay them.

If you don't believe this then don't I don't care.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Is everything in your life related to politics? Everything? Can you even have a cup of coffee without worrying about if it's the choice preferred by liberals or by conservatives?
No not really. You don't like the question because "yes" it is what is happening now. Some of us go to school and end up making more money because we have skills that companies are willing to pay more for. Others never give it a thought as if working for minimum wage will be enough. When they find out it isn't then they bi*ch and moan and blame everyone else. Go figure.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Careful! When I said it was clearly a fake, my post was removed for trolling.
And why do you think this is fake? What is happening today is the same thing really. You think because others earned skills to get paid better, but you think those people should pay more than their share because you didn't.

I went to college and worked. She worked and partied. Why should I have to pay more than she because employers were willing to pay me more?

After I graduated and I got a job, we had some great times

Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When I was in college I lived with a friend and we split the rent and bills 50/50. I went to school and worked. She worked but partied on her days off. When I graduated I got a job that paid more. She said, you should pay more of the rent since you make more. Do you think I should have paid more?
No, she didn't. This never happened.

Quote:
No not really. You don't like the question because "yes" it is what is happening now. Some of us go to school and end up making more money because we have skills that companies are willing to pay more for. Others never give it a thought as if working for minimum wage will be enough. When they find out it isn't then they bi*ch and moan and blame everyone else. Go figure.
Wait…who's bitching and moaning the most? Mirror, man. Mirror.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
If this thread isn't really a cutesy analogy about paying for others' food stamps or medical care, then could it please be moved to the non-romantic relationships forum?
Thanks.
Yep, it's true and yes it is the same thing. Does it offend you to hear the truth?

Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
Quote:
Yep, it's true and yes it is the same thing. Does it offend you to hear the truth?
The assumption that all of those who are on assistance were lazy and didn't make the right choices (according to your values system) is what is obnoxious and boorish. Not everyone on assistance put themselves in that situation. I am sorry that you don't have the empathy required to understand that.

For what it's worth, before you call me a lazy liberal, I am a CPA, worked hard in school, and who does quite well and made the "right choices". I also care for those less fortunate than me and don't mind paying taxes for a safety net in this country.

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 12-17-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 02:42 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
Quote:
When I was in college I lived with a friend and we split the rent and bills 50/50. I went to school and worked. She worked but partied on her days off. When I graduated I got a job that paid more. She said, you should pay more of the rent since you make more. Do you think I should have paid more?
Certainly not! Her choices were of her own free will. Fairness isn't based on who can pay more. The 50/50 split was fair.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:08 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
I do not why the room size would have anything to do with it? There was a agreement to pay 50/50 if she did not like agreement she could move.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:10 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
Why does this thread keep resurrecting? This is a fictitious story designed to trap those who's answers don't align with their view on welfare. Right?

AGAIN... if you share a house with equal benefit, then you share the bills equally. Income has little to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies