Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which social gap is wider? Whites & Blacks? Men & Women?
The divide between whites & blacks 37 62.71%
The divide between men & women 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:16 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Depends on how one perceives it. Black women are generally more educated but are still negatively affected by gender issues. A significant number are also negatively affected by the number of black men who abandon their children, leaving complete financial responsibility to them. That makes some limited economically. Many are not though, despite the irresponsibility of many of the men.

Black women are better degreed, not better educated. When black men get degrees, they get degrees in things that matter. Black women get easy and pointless degrees quite often. Black men in general hold higher positions in corporate America, have more successful businesses, and generally have an average higher net worth that the average black woman. So no, they aren't doing better, or hold a higher position in the USA. Black women is the highest dependent class in the country. But minority women generally have big government dependency mentalities.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:40 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Depends in the "Hispanic" I guess. Tho many Puerto Ricans and most Dominicans would be counted as "Black" IF they didn't have the Hispanic label.
They are Hispanics who are Black. Many PR, Dominicans, Cubans, Panamanians, etc. fit this, and they are often very much assimilated into African American communities.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:44 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times
I see lots of black people who seem like nice folks who I would love to be good friends with, but rarely are black and white people good friends. Occasionally you will see casual friends or work friends of mixed black and white together but rarely.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I see lots of black people who seem like nice folks who I would love to be good friends with, but rarely are black and white people good friends. Occasionally you will see casual friends or work friends of mixed black and white together but rarely.

I know a ton of white and black people who are good friends in the south. They're genuine friendships though.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:04 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Depends on how one perceives it. Black women are generally more educated but are still negatively affected by gender issues. A significant number are also negatively affected by the number of black men who abandon their children, leaving complete financial responsibility to them. That makes some limited economically. Many are not though, despite the irresponsibility of many of the men. So perhaps in the minds of many, black women "rank" better in terms of education and familial responsibility.
Yes, it is very hard to say. It only looks easy when one refuses to look at all the possible factors.

The difference in education favors black women.
Failures of relationship commitments hampers black women.
Lack of relationship commitment would favor black men.
Aggressive law enforcement hampers black men.
Prior to the Civil Rights Act, racism tended to favor black women in the white workplace as being viewed less dangerous; immediately after the Civil Rights Act, black women were still slightly favored as being a compliance "two-fer."
At this difference after the Civil Rights Act, "male privilege" may give black men a slight workplace advantage over black women.

The more factors you consider, the more difficult it is to determine. But I think police aggressiveness is going to be a major factor for black Millennials, because a criminal record absolutely nullifies any other possible advantages.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On a serious note, as was mentioned earlier in the thread and on this forum many times, black people are more likely to move from black neighborhoods to diverse neighborhoods moreso than white people (either conservative or liberal white people I might add). This is because, even though whites in America have a history of committing atrocious, horrible, terroristic, and discriminatory acts against black people, we don't hold all that against you or put the errors of other's ways on the whole of your society like you do the small percentage of black underclass criminals on the rest of us. You associate all of us with this underclass and relegate us as the worst of the worst so will not move into black neighborhoods due to this (FWIW, there are many white people who will who do not live their lives in fear and I know a lot of them as well). We are not as afraid of you as you are of us. We are more accepting and forgiving of your culture and don't generalize you as being the worst of the worst of your kind.
Back during the 60s after the Civil Rights Act began to open up neighborhoods to blacks and the "white flight" phenomenon became recognized, a study was done to determine just when the "white flight" begins.

They actually arrived at a number: 8%. When a previously all-white neighborhood reached 8% black, the "white flight" suddenly began, and those who were mobile enough to move did so.

There were a couple of cases of the same thing being noted in the 90s in some church congregations, with the figure again being about 8-9%--just under 10%--of diversity being tolerated before whites fled the congregations.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Back during the 60s after the Civil Rights Act began to open up neighborhoods to blacks and the "white flight" phenomenon became recognized, a study was done to determine just when the "white flight" begins.

They actually arrived at a number: 8%. When a previously all-white neighborhood reached 8% black, the "white flight" suddenly began, and those who were mobile enough to move did so.

There were a couple of cases of the same thing being noted in the 90s in some church congregations, with the figure again being about 8-9%--just under 10%--of diversity being tolerated before whites fled the congregations.
Not just "white flight": back in the day "free persons of color" LEFT older hoods in NYC for newer parts and places like that when us "Irish" moved in.

In 2013 it's the "Hispanics" moving IN causing many Black people to leave places like in SoCal. Watts is mostly Hispanic now.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not just "white flight": back in the day "free persons of color" LEFT older hoods in NYC for newer parts and places like that when us "Irish" moved in.

In 2013 it's the "Hispanics" moving IN causing many Black people to leave places like in SoCal. Watts is mostly Hispanic now.
I guess you have not read about the Irish riots and lynching of blacks of the day. The Irish in NYC were pro-slavery Democrats--the blacks had a reason to run.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:12 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It is not up to you or anyone else to quantify or qualify their "blackness." Obama is black. Period.

Does anyone say John McCain is not white because he was born in the Canal Zone? Is Mitt Romney not white because he has connections with people born in Mexico?

Not saying that Obama doesn't have a right to say that he is black. But you must admit that he is the type of (black) person who whites will feel more comfortable with than they would if he had the same background as his wife has.

So the election of Obama rather than Hillary doesn't change the premise that the B/W divide in the USA is wider than the male/female divide.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Thanks for your honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies