Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times

Advertisements

Yesterday during a newscast, I heard China referred to as "The rising super power" and I started to wonder how China as THE super power nation will impact the rest of us.

How do you think things will change as China takes position as the super power nation?

Interestingly, it is us who have made this possible by shipping manufacturing to China and funding its rise. I wonder if we'll regret that decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Well China is not the war monger that the US is so maybe our days of invading countries will come to an end.
One can hope…..

Old 01-17-2014, 06:59 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,065 times
I don't know... where I am it's about 32 degrees right now.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
I believe they'll act very belligerently and foment unrest in the middles east. Usurp democratically elected leaders and install puppet regimes. Demand compliance of sovereign nations or enact embargoes and sanctions. Provide funding and weapons to terrorist organizations who will ultimately become their enemies. Park fleets of warships in other nations territorial waters. Cherry pick which allies, regardless of their demonstrated loyalties, to muscle conformity to a completely insane foreign or economic policies or suffer economic consequences........

In short; they may act just like the other worlds superpowers have done over the preceding generations.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yesterday during a newscast, I heard China referred to as "The rising super power" and I started to wonder how China as THE super power nation will impact the rest of us.

How do you think things will change as China takes position as the super power nation?
That's media hype to sell news. They just make stuff up, because they are desperate for ratings.

A State is a super-power not because it has nuclear weapons and not because it has a large economy. A State is a super-power because it can push its hegemony on other States anywhere at anytime. In the Modern Era --- let's call that the post-WW II Era -- to be a super-power requires nuclear weapons, a vast military, a powerful economy, and a global currency.

It takes more than harsh words to influence -- push hegemony on -- other States.

It requires the ability to terrorize other States with military threats and/or economic threats.

The Soviet military was defensive, not offensive, and the Ruble was barred from global trading, so it's absurd to suggest the Soviets were a super-power. Likewise, Chinese currency is not global, and neither is their military.

Japan and China are working on a regional Asian currency akin to the Euro, but it's not likely that the Chinese military will become global before the end of this century.

Quote:
Interestingly, it is us who have made this possible by shipping manufacturing to China and funding its rise. I wonder if we'll regret that decision.
Wow, your lack of understanding is rather disgusting.

When, exactly, was China toying with the idea of buying UNOCAL?

What upset Bill Clinton most: the fact that the Taliban ignored UNOCAL or the fact that the Taliban were openly talking with China and Brasil?

Well, if those questions are too difficult, perhaps you explain what mental illness would cause an Algerian to pay 10x more for something Made in the USA, instead of buying something less expensive made in China?

When you're done with your disseration on that, you can explain what mental illness would cause a Filipino to pay 10x more for something Made in the USA, instead of buying something less expensive made in China?

Better yet, why don't you enlighten us and tell us why the rest of the world is morally, ethically or legally obligated to pay significantly more money for goods Made in the USA, rather than buying the same goods of comparable quality for far less money from other States.....like China?

Internationally...

Mircea

Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
i probably won't live to see a day when China is the only superpower.

China will surely surpass the U.S. in many ways, seeing as how huge its population is, but i seriously doubt it will grow so powerful that it knocks the United States down to "non superpower" status.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i probably won't live to see a day when China is the only superpower.
Or any one country for that matter. Totally different dynamic now.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
The only power that will take US down from superpower status is the Democrat party and its constituents. The continuous taxing and spending the money we don't have have been surely and slowly destroying this beautiful country. At this point, it is a mathematical certainty unless we make some drastic changes.

China will not become a super power for a LONG time.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
They won't have to soften us up before they do that, we are helping them out with that already.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:41 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
Is it the best interest of China to become a super power military and economically? They have the U S to do the military part of policing the world and spending their treasure doing so. Why would China want that role when they have the stupid Americans doing it for them? China or any other country are not that stupid to take that on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies