Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Is there a date or an era that you have in mind when it became OK to put people out of work and give their jobs to poor, starving people in the 3rd world for pennies per hour?

When we started to wage war on people without a declaration of war from congress? When we sent our children to war to fight for the rights of corporations instead of human rights?

When we intentionally turned a blind eye to massive illegal immigration to undercut the wages of the middle class?

When we started to be "OK" with torture of our enemies?

When we allowed lobbyists to literally run an auction for the votes of our Senators and Congressmen, the people WE THE PEOPLE elected to work for us?

When instead of taxing the wealthy their fair share we put daily expenses of running the country on to debt for many future generations to carry, like a weight they will never shed all the while allowing the fabulously rich to hide their money overseas, give them huge tax breaks and tax shelters?

America used to be so much better. When "In God We Trust" really meant something. I guess we were never immune from the disease of humanity.
When the corporate goons that financed Reagan's campaign broke into the republican party (and) when the same corporate goons created Fox news, Rush radio, and the Heritage Foundation.

The CEO's took control of the republican party, and then Fox news, Rush radio, and the Heritage foundation took control of Americas republicans minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
" Historically we will be revered as the generation who made the right decisions and sheppred the country through tough economic times only to be vilified by our cohorts for doing so."

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I need some of whatever you have been smoking. The greatest generation we ain't.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
"personal responsibility" doesn't apply to crooks like Jaime Dimon though, huh?.

Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

People who give nothing back, deserve some karma. The "greatest generation" is the one that is dying out, WWII vets and people who never used credit cards to succeed, also who cared about their fellow man, and didn't want to see the poor starving in the streets. Its called empathy which no one has today in American 'society' if that's what you can call it.

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Before 1964, America was one big, hard-working, cohesive familial unit. And then the government started handing out food stamps, ramped up welfare, codified racism through Affirmative Action, exploited the poor, demagogued the rich, and the rest is history. This nation has not been the same since, and it never will be again. Personal Responsibility in America is now a footnote in history, never to be recaptured.

It's wholly and completely impossible for a Leech Societyâ„¢ to have a soul.

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
IMO the soul started getting lost around the late 70s. Then in the Big 80s it was gone for good. Greed became 'good', to quote Gordon Gekko.
Yep, I'd say you just about hit the nail on the head exactly. Somthing vital and fundamental started to change in the mid to late '70s, the stage was set by about 1980.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
mission "accomplished"
Yes, and we will never the same county again.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
The combination of Reagan breaking the unions and Clinton giving us NAFTA led to the "greed is good" and "whoever dies with the most toys wins" mentality. How sad that even those most damaged by this destruction are so blinded.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Before 1964, America was one big, hard-working, cohesive familial unit. And then the government started handing out food stamps, ramped up welfare, codified racism through Affirmative Action, exploited the poor, demagogued the rich, and the rest is history. This nation has not been the same since, and it never will be again. Personal Responsibility in America is now a footnote in history, never to be recaptured.

It's wholly and completely impossible for a Leech Societyâ„¢ to have a soul.
this is what LBJ's "great society" has turned into.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:49 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Yep, I'd say you just about hit the nail on the head exactly. Somthing vital and fundamental started to change in the mid to late '70s, the stage was set by about 1980.
Actually it started in the mid to late 60's. The drug culture became more mainstream and the culture did a major shift to the left. I thought I knew what was going on back then, but now in retrospect I can see that I was naive. The blinders have been off since 1970 for me. Many are still living the ideals they were indoctrinated with shortly before and after the "summer of love".

Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
All greed, when enough wasn't enough for them anymore. When they decided they didn't have enough piles of gold.

I think the capitalistic system works fantastic for a while, but it has a short shelf life (relatively speaking).

America was blessed with a lot of land, natural resources and inventive people but I think it's run it's course and when there is nothing for the capitalists to capitalize on anymore the system just kind of starts to consume itself.

When you say they moved off to another country, do you mean Communist China? Because we used to stand against Communism in all forms at one time too, fought wars over it. Now the worst Communists in the world with a terrible human rights record is one of our closest trading partners.

NO SOUL.
It was our greed that did us in. We demanded cheap goods which meant employers needed cheap labor so they went looking for it. Americans won't work cheap but others will...and we still line up at stores to buy their products....

The people with the power to have kept jobs here were us....the consumer. However, we chose cheap and now we get to reap the economy we bought for ourselves. It always amazes me when people point a finger at CEO's. CEO's didn't move manufacturing out of greed. They moved it to satisfy our insatiable appetite for cheap goods. Well, guess what? Cheap goods are all any of us can afford now and we need look no further than the mirror to find the person responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies