Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:59 AM

52,275 posts, read 34,027,946 times

Advertisements

the 'recovery' has mostly created what were derisively referred to by leftists during the bush years as 'mcjobs.'

curiously, you don't hear them using that term much anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:02 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,896,264 times
These types of jobs prefer having a rotating door of minimum wage employees. Anyone who is smart and ambitious isn't going to work hard or stick around at such jobs.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,154,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You know anybody that works in job placement for a variety of employment types?

I do so let me give you their responses as to what holds people back as they bounce around from one min-wage job to another.

1) They don't show up.
2) They fail the drug test.
3) (Re)incarceration.
4) No way to get to job.

They opened up a shipping facility near my parents house and the guy hiring there was a family friend. Jobs paid 15-20/hr. and had a heckuva time filling the positions as guys would fail drug tests (they'd be operating forklifts etc.) or would come for a week and then stop showing up etc etc.

I think that some of the posters here have little or no personal contact with a certain segment of the population. Come on, doesn't anyone here have friends that work around these types of jobs and know the score?

My wife just got hired in a call center doing TIER 1 support for insurance brokers trying to enroll into ObamaNoCare. Out of the over 250 people that were given offers of employment, over 40% were not hired due to ( failed drug test, failed credit check, failed background check ). The way to getting ahead in this world is not not screw up your life in the first place. Your past will follow you forever.

Another 30% were fired over the first three weeks because they could not follow instructions or show up for their shifts.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,339,185 times
Quote:

I do so let me give you their responses as to what holds people back as they bounce around from one min-wage job to another.

1) They don't show up.
3) (Re)incarceration.
4) No way to get to job.

They opened up a shipping facility near my parents house and the guy hiring there was a family friend. Jobs paid 15-20/hr. and had a heckuva time filling the positions as guys would fail drug tests (they'd be operating forklifts etc.) or would come for a week and then stop showing up etc etc.

I think that some of the posters here have little or no personal contact with a certain segment of the population. Come on, doesn't anyone here have friends that work around these types of jobs and know the score?

#4 is often a problem for me; Lars Larson has cited a study claiming that having a car increases a person's wage more than having a high school diploma. So much for staying in school!

Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,679,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Finding a better job is not an easy task. Of all those fast food workers how many of them are actively trying to find better work? I'm not talking about just flipping through Craigslist but really trying, like spending hours a day after work looking?

Also, going from a minimum wage job to $15 an hour is not likely either. but even a lateral move from a minimum wage fast food job to a minimum wage construction job, there will be more of a future in construction then there will be in fast food. Get into an industry where there is a future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Quote:

1) They don't show up.
3) (Re)incarceration.
4) No way to get to job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Having worked several fast food jobs years ago, I have done my own 'study.' I was a very hard worker, and most of my co-workers were incorrigibly lazy. I worked night shift, and the GM would arrive in the morning and notice how clean the place looked--but not on my days off. Within less than a year I was offered the position of shift manager. I did that for a while, and within less than a year was asked to go for management training to become an assistant manager. I turned it down because I didn't like the company, and not much later I quit for another job. When I quit they offered me a raise if I would stay, but I didn't.

Sure there were other people there who were hard working and competent, but 9 out of 10 weren't. Anyone who was would not have to get another job. Within a couple years they could be in management and be making at least low-middle class money w/ decent benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Retail managment of any kind is the worst gig I've ever had. The problem is that you're pretty much the only person in the store who actually cares whether the place is even up and running the next day. The class of people I was serving AND had working for me left me feeling so negative about the human race that I took a pay cut (this was back in the 90's) to get out. I was never more miserable than when I was doing retail management.
these posts ALL show the typical low wage employee at work. i have also worked low wage jobs, one even that paid LESS than minimum wage at the time, and i also did the best job i could, and my employers noticed and either gave me recommendations when i asked, or promoted me when they needed new employees. however the typical low wage employee usually just goes to work, does the minimum required, and then goes home again, and all the time grumbles about only getting minimum wage, or not getting paid enough.

the problem though is that even if you put these people in higher wage jobs, they would still do the minimum required, and then go home. and they would STILL grumble about not getting paid enough for the work they do. on the other hand the employers are gumbling about having to pay so much to an employee that just isnt doing the job they need to do.

people need to take pride in their work regardless of the pay. if they do, and they step up and do more than the minimum required, employers will notice, and the employers will reward those employees one way or another.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,972,771 times
I can't remember the last time I saw a service worker who was 'on the ball'. When I go to order something– no matter what store I'm at –the people working behind the counter seem to have a difficult time paying attention to anything. They almost always mess up my order and I have to double-check everything before I pay. Then they act like they're doing me a huge favor by giving me a four-foot long receipt.

My point is- this kind of lazy, distracted customer service wasn't always the case. Customer service started going down the drain in the 00's when cell phones and other gadgets started occupying people's time and distracting them from their work.

If service workers today can barely do their job properly then why do they expect to be paid more than minimum wage?

People need to re-learn how to focus on the job and ignore distractions such as texting your friends. Then you'll be able to work your way up the food chain and find a better-paying position.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,201,169 times
I just drove to NY and back to the South over Thanksgiving, about 2000 miles round trip. The majority of the time I was tucked in behind a tractor trailer rig and I got to read the help wanted ads on the back of the rig. If you are not a pot head and want to work, there are jobs and they pay more than minimum wage. But you will have to work.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:10 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,154,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Retail managment of any kind is the worst gig I've ever had. The problem is that you're pretty much the only person in the store who actually cares whether the place is even up and running the next day. The class of people I was serving AND had working for me left me feeling so negative about the human race that I took a pay cut (this was back in the 90's) to get out. I was never more miserable than when I was doing retail management.

Another problem with retail mgmt is that you may grow older, but the average age of your staff does not. Soon there is a generation gap and your values and ethics become something from another planet to them.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,765,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And yet the liberals gloat and high-five each other when the unemployment number goes down by a tenth of a point.

This is not an reason to raise minimum wage. We are recovering from a recession. Recovery is temporary, but raising the minimum wage would be permanent. We don't need a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
And what if the current "temporary situation" becomes permanent? A lot of people speak of RFID, robots and self-service kiosks to replace many of the minimum wage employees in retail and fast food. That will only decrease the number of jobs and cause wages to fall more because they can be "replaced by the workers who were kicked out of their jobs for machines."

Old 12-11-2013, 12:15 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,384,785 times
A man could not support his young family on one job, even with the wife working. So he has to work two jobs and sometimes three jobs to make ends meet. It is a very tragic story....

Oh, wait a minute, no it isn't. This happened in the 1950's, the man was my father-in-law, he went to night school for many years to get a degree, and ended up being really valuable in the role of executive in a very large company.

Min. wage and near-minimum wage jobs ARE NOT CAREERS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies