Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well we don't want to pay long term unemployment,
Not so much a matter of "don't want to", but "don't have any money to pay it".

Quote:
we don't want to pay for jobs programs to put people to work,
Federal jobs programs are nothing but a huge waste of money. We need jobs that produce things or services of value. No point in wasting money on federal "jobs" programs, just to say "we're doing something".

Quote:
we don't want to aggressively prosecute age discrimination in the workplace so if you are one of the long termed unemployed, you are just ...... out of luck, not now, but for ever.
You're a pessimist. But then, you think government produces jobs, wealth, and provides a good economy. How could you know anything about anything?

Quote:
There are two labor markets nowadays. There's the market for people who have been out of work for less than six months, and the market for people who have been out of work longer. The former is working pretty normally, and the latter is horribly dysfunctional. That was the conclusion of recent research I highlighted a few months ago by Rand Ghayad, a visiting scholar at the Boston Fed and a PhD candidate in economics at Northeastern University, and William Dickens, a professor of economics at Northeastern University, that looked at Beveridge curves for different ages, industries, and education levels to see who the recovery is leaving behind.

As long as you've been out of work for less than six months, you can get called back even if you don't have experience. But after you've been out of work for six months, it doesn't matter what experience you have. Quite literally. There's only a 2.12 percentage point difference in callback rates for the long-term unemployed with or without industry experience. That's compared to a 7.13 and 8.95 percentage point difference for the short-and-medium-term unemployed. This is what screening out the long-term unemployed looks like. In other words, the first thing employers look at is how long you've been out of work, and that's the only thing they look at if it's been six months or longer.
It's a great way of screening out bad employees - ie, IT WORKS.

If you want to improve things... Banish the IRS, OSHA, EPA, Obamacare, a few million pages of regulations that do no good, and watch the economy take off like a rocket and REAL unemployment (not the fiction the BLS publishes) will plummet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 06:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well we don't want to pay long term unemployment, we don't want to pay for jobs programs to put people to work, we don't want to aggressively prosecute age discrimination in the workplace so if you are one of the long termed unemployed, you are just ...... out of luck, not now, but for ever.

There are two labor markets nowadays. There's the market for people who have been out of work for less than six months, and the market for people who have been out of work longer. The former is working pretty normally, and the latter is horribly dysfunctional. That was the conclusion of recent research I highlighted a few months ago by Rand Ghayad, a visiting scholar at the Boston Fed and a PhD candidate in economics at Northeastern University, and William Dickens, a professor of economics at Northeastern University, that looked at Beveridge curves for different ages, industries, and education levels to see who the recovery is leaving behind.

As long as you've been out of work for less than six months, you can get called back even if you don't have experience. But after you've been out of work for six months, it doesn't matter what experience you have. Quite literally. There's only a 2.12 percentage point difference in callback rates for the long-term unemployed with or without industry experience. That's compared to a 7.13 and 8.95 percentage point difference for the short-and-medium-term unemployed. This is what screening out the long-term unemployed looks like. In other words, the first thing employers look at is how long you've been out of work, and that's the only thing they look at if it's been six months or longer.
The Terrifying Reality of Long-Term Unemployment - Matthew O'Brien - The Atlantic
I was out of work for over six months and managed to find a job. I took my degree off my resume and took a job I was overqualified for. I probably wouldn't have gotten the job if I left my degree on my resume. You gotta do, what you gotta do.

I feel for the unemployed. It was tough out there. I worked my butt off to find this job. I think I devoted my life to job searching while I was unemployed.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:56 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
I've been unemployed since May 2012, I worked a stand-in job for 2 weeks last October (2012) and haven't worked since and haven't been claiming UI. I will admit that I am more than a bit choosy about where I work and which hours and days but this doesn't stop the job offers coming in, recently I have had 2 full time offers. Just to clarify I'm 50 and female and living in Michigan. I honestly don't buy into the whole age thing when it comes to work, if you want work its out there.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Not so much a matter of "don't want to", but "don't have any money to pay it".
Really? 424 billionaires on our books and we don't have any money to pay it? I guffaw in your general direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Federal jobs programs are nothing but a huge waste of money. We need jobs that produce things or services of value. No point in wasting money on federal "jobs" programs, just to say "we're doing something".
Would you say our nations highway system is a waste of money? Hydro-electric dams? Coastal levees and breakwaters? Bridges? Tunnels? These were Federal projects that provided jobs for millions. In 2013 wind, wave and solar energy projects could do the same: benefit society and provide jobs. No one would disagree that jobs for jobs sake is a good thing. Where we differ is that your side doesn't think things like clean air, water, soil and food matter, if they cost money, to wit: "If you want to improve things... Banish the IRS, OSHA, EPA, Obamacare, a few million pages of regulations that do no good, and watch the economy take off like a rocket and REAL unemployment (not the fiction the BLS publishes) will plummet."

The economy does not need to "take off" anymore than it has taken off. The 1% are doing very well, thank you. In your febrile scorched earth fantasy the 1% would continue to be the only beneficiaries, only more so than now. And our country would quickly go back to being a toxic cancer cluster... hmmm... that's what it is now. What, you don't think the appalling cancer statistics have anything to do with the good times before the EPA and OSHA?? No IRS? How long before the highway system collapsed? You think private concerns could keep up something like the Interstate Highway System? Right. They'd run them all into the ground in a decade after putting toll systems to extract every last disposable dollar in the middle class and then they would jet off to some sunny place and leave this (by then) sorry place for dead. Be careful what you wish for.

H

Old 12-13-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I've been unemployed since May 2012, I worked a stand-in job for 2 weeks last October (2012) and haven't worked since and haven't been claiming UI. I will admit that I am more than a bit choosy about where I work and which hours and days but this doesn't stop the job offers coming in, recently I have had 2 full time offers. Just to clarify I'm 50 and female and living in Michigan. I honestly don't buy into the whole age thing when it comes to work, if you want work its out there.
Why don't you get back to us if, or when, you actually cinch one of those "job offers". Until then, this is just so much FAiL.

H

Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
The liberal plan is working. Get handouts so big that Americans prefer living off them, get millions of Americans permanently warehoused into government dependency, this creates abundant opportunities for illegals to come and grab up low paying jobs, other jobs are to be outsourced to the third world nations for the cheap labor. Liberals are proving over and over they have no intention of creating jobs for Americans, they're all only about permanent unemployment handouts and more people on welfare programs.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 AM

The conservative plan is not working. Deny that there is anything wrong with runaway corporate profits and an increasing income and wealth gap. Conservatives are proving over and over that they have no intention of creating jobs for Americans. They are only about profit for the privileged few.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Wrong, years ago I took 4 years off and walked right back into a job. Yea, bad people. They don't want to turn UE into another welfare program. How dare they!
This is not "years ago." This is in the aftermath of the greatest economic crisis since the great depression. Stop living in the past.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:10 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I get your point. I really do. But seriously.....Craigslist is always full of people looking for dog-walkers, people to put "Ikea purchases" together...etc. An industrious and resourceful person will do whatever it takes to survive. Anything is better than a 6 month gap on a resume.
Walking dogs and putting together furniture will get you some change here and there to get an occasional cup of coffee. It will help you barely survive, if not thrive. But it's not something you can put on a resume.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Sure they do....have you not heard about the 99ers...

99 weeksMichael Thornton: Rep. Barbara Lee to Reintroduce 99er Unemployment Benefits Extension Legislation of unemployment benefits..that is getting paid, to not work..
No, it is getting paid benefits in lieu of working, and these people are receiving these benefits because there is no work out there for them to get. Unemployment benefits are not lucrative, btw. They are simply enough to assure a bare-bones existence.

Last edited by Lucario; 12-13-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies