Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

I've seen some black Santas. Depends on where you are. Also, Jesus is depicted as white with blue eyes. He was a Jewish man so I don't think he could have blue eyes but who knows.

Santa first came about in Germany, I think, so the artist made him white. That is the original Santa but if others want him to look differently, who cares. He is suppose to be a fantasy but they do the same thing with Jesus and He was real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 02:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I thought blacks had their own holiday now. Kwanzaa? Do they have a Kwanzaa Klaus? But isn't Klaus a European sounding name? I suppose the blacks and the Mexicans can fight over who takes over Santa Claus. Blacks are no longer the largest minority, they're only third place and loosing ground fast. I suspect soon, Santa will speak only Spanish.

These other groups should just do what the Jewish have done -- skip the whole Santa Claus/Christmas thing.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:00 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Santa lives at the intersection of freezing cold and really &&$(W*(*$@( freezing cold. Of course he's white.

Maybe he should be an Eskimo?

What about the elves? Maybe they can be a band of African "little people" similar to those depicted as the Oompa Loompahs originally created by Roald Dahl in his book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (as they also were in the Tim Burton version) - the Ooompa Loompahs were from an African tribe of little black people. Iin the 1971 movie version they were orange midgets/dwarves. Seeing as they were not "white", that would probably work too.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-12-2013 at 03:13 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 03:16 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Next thing you know they're going to demand Santa be skinny. Some idiot probably already is.

Actually her father had a great explanation for her.

FOX news says he's too fat.

He's fat, he's jolly and children love him. but that's not good enough. He's too fat.
Why does Santa’s weight problem matter? Because approximately 16 percent of children ages 2 to 19 are now considered obese in the United States. First Lady Michelle Obama is campaigning to end childhood obesity. Our military is worried about finding recruits fit enough to fight. And recent studies show that a high percentage of obese children have the same thickened arteries as a 45-year-old.
In light of the above and as one of children’s most prominent role models, Santa has got to think about the message he is sending by constantly giving in to the whims of his stomach and Mrs. Claus’ perilous overfeeding. I’m not calling for Santa to develop an eating disorder or to start working on a six-pack, but, yes, Virginia, Santa needs tough love and he needs it now.
Santa Is Just Too Darn Fat | Fox News

Old 12-12-2013, 03:48 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
Penguin makes sense since THEY HAVE ZERO PENGUINS AT THE NORTH POLE!!!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
It's not the dumbest article I've ever read on Slate, but it's up there. I like the correction at the end. Have fun...

"Two decades later, America is less and less white, but a melanin-deficient Santa remains the default in commercials, mall casting calls, and movies. Isn’t it time that our image of Santa better serve all the children he delights each Christmas?

Yes, it is. And so I propose that America abandon Santa-as-fat-old-white-man and create a new symbol of Christmas cheer. From here on out, Santa Claus should be a penguin.

That’s right: a penguin."

Santa Claus an old white man? Not anymore. Meet Santa the Penguin, a new Christmas symbol.

That's just dumb.

Penguins are at the South Pole.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Why are some people intent on removing any trace of White people ?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Santa Claus should be a white Hispanic.
Easy pal, I resemble that remark.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
It is very interesting to read the irrationality of some of these responses.

The idea that a fictional character has a "race" and that if the race of that fictional character is altered means that white people are being erased or Santa Claus should be a penguin or Martin Luther King should be played by an eagle is an absurdity. What is wrong with y'all.

These reactions really show an ethnocentrism that is pathetic.

Again a mind that can process and accept the fantasy that Santa is an ageless all knowing fat man flying around in a magical sleigh with magical reindeer delivering gifts in one night to all good children, but if he isn't white the fantasy becomes completely unacceptable is an irrational mind.

LOL

Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is very interesting to read the irrationality of some of these responses.

The idea that a fictional character has a "race" and that if the race of that fictional character is altered means that white people are being erased or Santa Claus should be a penguin or Martin Luther King should be played by an eagle is an absurdity. What is wrong with y'all.

These reactions really show an ethnocentrism that is pathetic.

Again a mind that can process and accept the fantasy that Santa is an ageless all knowing fat man flying around in a magical sleigh with magical reindeer delivering gifts in one night to all good children, but if he isn't white the fantasy becomes completely unacceptable is an irrational mind.

LOL

I suppose we can remember your perspective the next time a white Hollywood actor plays some made up mythological being from another culture in a movie, and said culture gets their collective panties in a wad that someone from "their" culture didn't portray said made up fantasy figure. Because I do believe there is a cottage industry of film critics who appear to do nothing but comment on racial and ethnic aspects of the most inane and unimportant crap in the world... like whether Jake Gylenhal should play a Persian figure.

Santa Claus isn't real. But he kinda IS a European/Christian invention, based on a real guy who actually lived. Of course, I've seen plenty of black Santa Claus, pretty much in black neighborhoods, or when he "visits Africa."

Making him a penguin would avoid ALL tedious and eye rolling future "racial deconstruction of Santa Claus" controversies in this country, and assuage all race-obsessed persons with racial inferiority complexes.

But let's be honest here: The true pathology does not belong to those who think it stupid that people are writing articles that say, "Santa Claus should no longer be white," but by those who actually write such articles with a straight face, or who believe Santa being portrayed as white is "troubling."

THAT is the sign of someone who has some serious growing up to do, personally and intellectually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies