Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:26 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,356,074 times

Advertisements

It's not the dumbest article I've ever read on Slate, but it's up there. I like the correction at the end. Have fun...

"Two decades later, America is less and less white, but a melanin-deficient Santa remains the default in commercials, mall casting calls, and movies. Isn’t it time that our image of Santa better serve all the children he delights each Christmas?

Yes, it is. And so I propose that America abandon Santa-as-fat-old-white-man and create a new symbol of Christmas cheer. From here on out, Santa Claus should be a penguin.

That’s right: a penguin."

Santa Claus an old white man? Not anymore. Meet Santa the Penguin, a new Christmas symbol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,779,161 times
All I have to say to this is there are some people that have far too much time on their hands. I have way too much going on in my life than to concern myself on changing the appearance of Santa.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,172,472 times
Well, if we want to get right down to the nitty gritty details, if it weren't for the white man, the "melanin deficient" might not be living the good life here in the United States. History is sometimes ugly, but that's the truth. Leave Santa alone.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,016,938 times
When I first saw this I thought the OP was creating some sort of satire, but this is a real article?

Santa Claus has always been and should be a European. A non-white or non-human Santa Claus would be like having a black King Arthur - it's just not right. I don't understand how there could be any insecurity among non-white children at all - how could they be insecure and ashamed believing that the figure that brings them presents every Christmas is a jolly old bearded fat man who just happens to be white? If they don't feel shameful and insecure when generosity is displayed by people of a different race in real life, why should they feel that way about Santa Claus? Just accepting that Santa Claus's whiteness is no big deal would be the truly non-racist thing to do.

If Santa Claus (or some other similar figure) originated from African legends and was imported to the U.S., and happened to be black, I wouldn't have the least bit of insecurity or shame about it. Indeed, under that scenario depicting Santa as black would be the only proper thing to do.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 PM

15,559 posts, read 10,557,200 times
Sure, most of the time we see a white Santa. But he is kinda magical, how else can he get his big self down that chimney with all those toys. Not to mention traveling all over the globe in one night, wow. Sometimes Santa is black, I've seen him. I can remember as far back as the 70's seeing a black Santa in minority shopping districts. Why, I even remember seeing an Asian looking Santa in Hawaii. Penguins? This lady is obviously a non believer.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,063,787 times
Santa Claus should be a white Hispanic.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,619,687 times
Santa should have the look of your parents, that is...if you believe in Santa. lol

Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,246,707 times
Polar bear. Santa should be a polar bear, since penguins are from the south pole.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,310,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
It's not the dumbest article I've ever read on Slate, but it's up there. I like the correction at the end. Have fun...

"Two decades later, America is less and less white, but a melanin-deficient Santa remains the default in commercials, mall casting calls, and movies. Isn’t it time that our image of Santa better serve all the children he delights each Christmas?

Yes, it is. And so I propose that America abandon Santa-as-fat-old-white-man and create a new symbol of Christmas cheer. From here on out, Santa Claus should be a penguin.

That’s right: a penguin."

Santa Claus an old white man? Not anymore. Meet Santa the Penguin, a new Christmas symbol.
So let me get this straight, your imagination has no problem processing the idea of an ageless nearly all knowing(cause he knows which children have been naughty or nice) fat man flying around on a magical sleigh with magical flying reindeer giving presents to every good little child in the world, but if that Santa is no longer "white" that's too unbelievable and we should just make him a penguin?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,246,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
So let me get this straight, your imagination has no problem processing the idea of an ageless nearly all knowing(cause he knows which children have been naughty or nice) fat man flying around on a magical sleigh with magical flying reindeer giving presents to every good little child in the world, but if that Santa is no longer "white" that's too unbelievable and we should just make him a penguin?
Penguins don't live in the North Pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies