Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:41 PM

n/a posts

Advertisements

So, they cut off my heat...so I was told I needed to go to welfare. I did, I mean, I need heat after all...it's below freezing..

But just sitting there, a grown man, asking for some lady to pay my overdue bill....it was embarrassing.

I felt bad for me.

How do people do that for years?

Then people wonder why I'm upset as my heat was turned on...and I'm like "That's NOT the point."

Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
No, it isn't the point!
I remember well being eligible for "commodities" years ago. Just having that cheese, corn meal, and powdered milk in the house was embarrassing!
But, it helped feed the kids, so it was worth a little shame.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:49 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Pride goeth.....

Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
So, they cut off my heat...so I was told I needed to go to welfare. I did, I mean, I need heat after all...it's below freezing..

But just sitting there, a grown man, asking for some lady to pay my overdue bill....it was embarrassing.

I felt bad for me.

Then people wonder why I'm upset as my heat was turned on...and I'm like "That's NOT the point."
Did you lose your job? Welfare is temporary help meant for people who fall on hard times.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,657 times
What kind of welfare?

Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Well, didn't you state you were not interested in getting ahead and working hard even with the education?

You stated you are happy being poor...I don't see how you are upset.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Did you lose your job? Welfare is temporary help meant for people who fall on hard times.
I have two part time minimum wage jobs...and was scheduled to have around 35 hours a week. And I moved to even get those jobs...which isn't free...it's pretty expensive, actually.

Then, they randomly cut my hours at both my jobs, so now I'm lucky if I get 25.

So, I'm looking for a full time job, or another part time job...yes, count them, three part time jobs if I want to be able to pay bills. It's ridiculous...but that's life.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:

I felt bad for me.

People who go on welfare aren't a problem. That's what it's there for. It's people who never get off welfare that are the problem.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
No, it isn't the point!
I remember well being eligible for "commodities" years ago. Just having that cheese, corn meal, and powdered milk in the house was embarrassing!
But, it helped feed the kids, so it was worth a little shame.
I use to get those big blocks of cheese too. It was pretty good cheese. The powdered milk were a hit as a kid. I wish they still have it out like they did. I use to have to shop with real food stamps. It was a shame to do it.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Quote:

I felt bad for me.

Unless you have kids then a grown man can't get cash welfare (only food stamps) and if you do have kids then you should just man up and do what you have to do to heat the house for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies