Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obamacare is more about forcing people to pay for the free abortions of others than it is about any real medical care for those who need it.
^ silly stuff.

Each state has the ability to opt out abortions from the ACA if they choose to do so. It is my understanding that 21 +/- states have decided to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Why would a previously uninsured young male who does not qualify for a subsidy buy insurance now?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm glad my having access to post-cancer followup and care to remain a productive citizen, even in case of job loss or a decision to freelance/start my own business, is the equivalent of free abortions to you.

I was uninsured and denied health insurance due to unrelated preexisting conditions just a few months before I was diagnosed with cancer. At 22 years old, I was told that I would not be covered by health insurance because I dared seek psychological care following a rape and subsequent miscarriage as a teenager, had some urology procedures done as a child, had PCOS, and was overweight (which we later found out was due to the cancer that had been growing, but was undiagnosed for years). Now, at 25 with a late stage cancer history and lifelong side effects from treatment, no one would cover me.

Newsflash: You don't get 6 months of chemotherapy, years of dialysis or a lifetime of medications for MS, schizophrenia, or any number of illnesses in the ER. They'd do enough to stabilize you before sending you home to die in a pile of debt. If you have a chronic illness and lose your insurance for any reason, in a pre-Obamacare world, you'd be SOL.
Thank you for posting your first hand experience.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why would a previously uninsured young male who does not qualify for a subsidy buy insurance now?
A sense of personal responsibility, perhaps?

As I always say on this board, you're healthy until you're not. In a million years, I never would have guessed I would be diagnosed with stage IV cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. I felt healthy up until the moment my lymph nodes swelled and I went to the doctor, initiating a roller coaster of emergency appointments to rush me into treatment. Each month of treatment cost more than my entire gross salary for the year - and that was not counting medications, modified diet, transportation costs, and loss of productivity in my job. Some of those stresses can be alleviated by health insurance, but I was denied that option because of fairly minor preexisting conditions.

With Obamacare, you can't get sick and then sign up for health insurance the next day. You still need to wait for open enrollment. If that uninsured young male was diagnosed in January, like I was, it would be almost a full year before he could get any kind of coverage. In that year, he could build up hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even into the millions) of debt for various medical issues ranging from a car accident, being hit by a bus, or yes, even cancer.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Because his brain may have matured enough to realize he may not live a fantasy life of no consequences or be so lucky to avoid getting diagnosed with a seriously nasty disease.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Ms. Whitney was a guest on a Hannity panel bashing the ACA. As these things go, there is always more to the story than meets the eye. According to the following link, she had a group COBRA plan subsidized by the state of Texas. That plan did not comply with the ACA so it was cancelled. COBRA does not last forever. Regardless,it was only a matter of time before she would lose the coverage. Being diagnosed with MS in 2010 and incurring $350,000 in annual medical expenses, made her uninsurable in the individual plan market, pre ACA.

Despite her diagnosis, she managed to get pregnant. She and the baby dad married this past June. Her wedding register is online. According to the above link, She cannot afford a higher premium and maintain her lifestyle. Maybe this should have been a long term consideration before she chose to engage in unprotected sex.

MS is not directly inherited, but genetics play an important role in who gets the disease. While the risk of developing MS in the general population is 1/750, the risk rises to 1/40 in anyone who has a close relative (parent, sibling, child) with the disease. What was this woman thinking?

The " friend" with diabetes is a fabrication.

The Rectification of Names: Used to get insurance from God, now she has to get it from Obama
What's your point? That this person with MS has no credibility? If so, you have not proven anything other than your incessant slobbering over this President and Obamacare. What else is new?

Also, did you miss the part where she said she can't afford the $900 premium associated with her new "affordable" insurance under her husband's plan? Whatever happened to the promise of "affordable" healthcare? Huh? Why did you skip that part?

Because it does not fit your agenda, that's why.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Here's an article about a speech Obama gave where he highlighted the wonders of his healthcare plan using multiple sclerosis as an example:

President Obama mentions patient with Multiple Sclerosis on opening of Obamacare - National multiple sclerosis | Examiner.com

And here is the real story on multiple sclerosis:

How Will the Obamacare Out-of-Pocket Cap Delay Affect MS Patients?
Obamacare Hits Multiple Sclerosis Patients Hard: Losing Insurance, Higher Drug Costs | LifeNews.com

And a couple of real life experiences:
Mother With Multiple Sclerosis Loses Her Health Coverage Due to Obamacare | Viewpoints of a Sagitarrian
Under Obamacare MS Sufferer Will Save *$12 A YEAR* And Receive Less Coverage (Guest Post) | nebraskattitude

This is what Obamacare is doing to people suffering from multiple sclerosis. We have liberals here on this forum who accuse us conservatives who oppose Obamacare of being selfish and wanting to deny healthcare to people. They accuse of this while they support the law that is going to strip thousands of people suffering with multiple sclerosis of their treatment. And multiple sclerosis is just one disease among many. It seems to me it's the liberals who are lacking in compassion here. They're putting their ideology of socialized medicine above the real health problems of real people with serious diseases.

What do the liberals have to say to these people who will be losing access to their treatment and medication? Or are you just going to bury your heads in the sand and deny it's happening?
I have a friend with MS , she is elderly and feels she has a death sentence from obamacare

Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A sense of personal responsibility, perhaps?

As I always say on this board, you're healthy until you're not. In a million years, I never would have guessed I would be diagnosed with stage IV cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. I felt healthy up until the moment my lymph nodes swelled and I went to the doctor, initiating a roller coaster of emergency appointments to rush me into treatment. Each month of treatment cost more than my entire gross salary for the year - and that was not counting medications, modified diet, transportation costs, and loss of productivity in my job. Some of those stresses can be alleviated by health insurance, but I was denied that option because of fairly minor preexisting conditions.

With Obamacare, you can't get sick and then sign up for health insurance the next day. You still need to wait for open enrollment. If that uninsured young male was diagnosed in January, like I was, it would be almost a full year before he could get any kind of coverage. In that year, he could build up hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even into the millions) of debt for various medical issues ranging from a car accident, being hit by a bus, or yes, even cancer.

Yours is a voice in the wilderness. I add my thanks for your personal experience and thoughts.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
I have seen the oppisite problem, and I have a family member and friend who have MS.

Each was dropped by their job, then their insurance, once they were diagnosed (each seud and won, but still no insurance). Each has been fighting daily to get on insurance to care for their disease. They are both married, and have been rejected by their spouses plan as having "pre-existing conditions." One finally got on their spouses insurance, but the copays for the medications she needs to slow the progression of the disease exceeds $10,000 a year.

With Obamacare they have applied and been given affordible rates that can help slow the progression, and when it is in remission they can work. They will have less ER and physician visits when it is under control, better quality of life, less in need of government support, and cost the tax payor less then simply sweeping them under the rug like has ben happening over the last number of years.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:11 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What's your point? That this person with MS has no credibility? If so, you have not proven anything other than your incessant slobbering over this President and Obamacare. What else is new?

Also, did you miss the part where she said she can't afford the $900 premium associated with her new "affordable" insurance under her husband's plan? Whatever happened to the promise of "affordable" healthcare? Huh? Why did you skip that part?

Because it does not fit your agenda, that's why.
My parents have been paying a little less than that for the past few years. My mom makes $25,000 a year and my dad is unemployed due to his health issues. Obamacare makes it much more affordable for them based on income. I absolutely acknowledge that for many, the costs are still incredibly high. I am not a fan of Obamacare in the least - don't get me wrong - but it is heads and shoulders better than the system we had where people like me were shut out.

I'll take your $900 a month and raise you $16000 a month, which is what my cancer treatment and follow up has cost me averaged out over the 3 years since I began the diagnosis process, had I had to pay out of pocket. As it was, I was paying about $1000 a month out of pocket for the first year for copays and medications, PLUS $150 a month for my portion of my HMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies