Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,046,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
While Obama's poll numbers aren't good, Congress (in particular Congressional Republicans) would kill for his numbers.
Actually, I don't think that Congress as a whole cares about its favorability rating. It really has no bearing on anything since all politics are local. If it can be discerned that national dislike for Congress as a whole will translate into local upheaval, then you may have a point. I've seen nothing so far to suggest such will occur. In fact, Republicans are now favored to be a majority in both chambers after the 2014 elections.....so if anyone should be concerned at the local level....it should be Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,755,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, I don't think that Congress as a whole cares about its favorability rating. It really has no bearing on anything since all politics are local. If it can be discerned that national dislike for Congress as a whole will translate into local upheaval, then you may have a point. I've seen nothing so far to suggest such will occur. In fact, Republicans are now favored to be a majority in both chambers after the 2014 elections.....so if anyone should be concerned at the local level....it should be Democrats.
EXACTLY. The only thing it hurts is the prospects of being president if anything. Good post.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 4 hours ago)

8,002 posts, read 5,774,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
While Obama's poll numbers aren't good, Congress (in particular Congressional Republicans) would kill for his numbers.
If that's the case, then I would enjoy it if they would start with each other......

Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 PM

34,248 posts, read 19,243,663 times
Actually disapproval ratings of peoples own representatives is at a record low-with Republicans taking huge hits from the shutdown etc, and Democrats taking hits over obamacare. Basically incumbents are getting tagged. This could be good for Republicans as more democrats are coming up for re-election this time however it really depends on a ton of different factors.

Plus its a ways away still, this is like calling the game 2 seconds into it on evenly matched teams.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 4 hours ago)

8,002 posts, read 5,774,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually disapproval ratings of peoples own representatives is at a record low-with Republicans taking huge hits from the shutdown etc, and Democrats taking hits over obamacare. Basically incumbents are getting tagged. This could be good for Republicans as more democrats are coming up for re-election this time however it really depends on a ton of different factors.

Plus its a ways away still, this is like calling the game 2 seconds into it on evenly matched teams.
On one hand I want to agree with you. But nobody wants to vote "their" guy out, regardless of how incompetent/dirty/corrupt he or she truly is.

Some of the biggest criminals -- and let's face it, that's what they truly are -- we've had as politicians were practically unbeatable when it came time for re-election. For god's sake, Ted Kennedy murdered someone and STILL continued to be re-elected.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,595,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
On one hand I want to agree with you. But nobody wants to vote "their" guy out, regardless of how incompetent/dirty/corrupt he or she truly is.

Some of the biggest criminals -- and let's face it, that's what they truly are -- we've had as politicians were practically unbeatable when it came time for re-election. For god's sake, Ted Kennedy murdered someone and STILL continued to be re-elected.
People don't listen, they vote party, familiarity. In recent history, whoever promises more stuff. People are willing to sell their soul for stuff.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:51 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,382,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
People don't listen, they vote party, familiarity. In recent history, whoever promises more stuff. People are willing to sell their soul for stuff.
I know one democrat who won't be supporting the party next time around. A FRIEND of my daughter, who presently has a great health care plan, that is affordable, and everything she needs. She loves her Doctor also, they have a good patient Doctor understanding.

However from $160.00 her current health care plan, the lowest amount she can pay now, without all the benefits she now has is $480.00, and the benefits are not even compared to what she now has. I never heard a peep out of her, until this happened to her. She simply said, i cannot afford this, i will not have a plan anymore. May not seem like a like to some, add it up, that is quite a hike.

I am sick of them patrionizing this Preisdent, our health care plan has also skyrocked and i mean gone thru the roof. Tired of any lost soul who feels the need to protect Obama. And yes lost naive souls they are. Nothing that this President has brought us indicates any good change.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:02 PM

76,972 posts, read 47,297,922 times
Quote:
Stating the obvious.....I know. But it should still be pointed out, nevertheless. The President's approval rating is the lowest on record and on par with George W. Bush, but not one single mention of the Quinnipiac Poll could be found.

It's pretty significant that nearly 60% of American's disapprove of Barack Obama, but yet we get nothing from CNN? For the first time this year, voters want a Republican Majority over a Democratic Majority in 2014, and yet we get nothing from CNN?

Absolutely disgusting.
You'd have to watch CNN non stop to know what they say and don't say. Is that what you do?

Old 12-14-2013, 04:46 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,823,162 times
Quote:
Stating the obvious.....I know. But it should still be pointed out, nevertheless. The President's approval rating is the lowest on record and on par with George W. Bush, but not one single mention of the Quinnipiac Poll could be found.

It's pretty significant that nearly 60% of American's disapprove of Barack Obama, but yet we get nothing from CNN? For the first time this year, voters want a Republican Majority over a Democratic Majority in 2014, and yet we get nothing from CNN?

Absolutely disgusting.
So this isn't from CNN?

Have Obama’s falling numbers stabilized? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

In November, Obama stood at 40% and 41% in three different CNN Poll of Poll compilations. The President's approval rating reached new lows or tied his all-time lows in six individual national surveys last month, including CNN-ORC International. While Obama's at 38% in the new Quinnipiac poll, down a point from last month and an all-time low for him in their surveys, he's up five points from last month to 42% in the new CBS News/New York Times survey, up four points from November to 45% in the new Pew Research Center/USA Today poll, and he's edged up a point since last month to 43% in the new NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey

Old 12-14-2013, 04:57 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,322,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am sick of them patrionizing this Preisdent, our health care plan has also skyrocked and i mean gone thru the roof. Tired of any lost soul who feels the need to protect Obama. And yes lost naive souls they are. Nothing that this President has brought us indicates any good change.
Hmmm…if I switch to the most expensive Obamacare plan, I will save over $3,000 a year if I max out my use of it against what I would be paying in premiums alone to my current group plan. The difference in premiums is an over $7,000 savings. Amazing how my situation is so much different.

And really…the people with $160 plans don't need to be bitching to anyone: they were being subsidized heavily by others.

On another note: "patrionizing" isn't even a word. And if you meant "patronizing", it goes completely against what you were trying to say. If you are sick of people "patronizing" Obama, then you would be sick of anyone who spoke bad about him (98% of the people who live on this board). And don't call this a grammar-police attack…this is simply saying the wrong thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
So this isn't from CNN?

Have Obama’s falling numbers stabilized? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

In November, Obama stood at 40% and 41% in three different CNN Poll of Poll compilations. The President's approval rating reached new lows or tied his all-time lows in six individual national surveys last month, including CNN-ORC International. While Obama's at 38% in the new Quinnipiac poll, down a point from last month and an all-time low for him in their surveys, he's up five points from last month to 42% in the new CBS News/New York Times survey, up four points from November to 45% in the new Pew Research Center/USA Today poll, and he's edged up a point since last month to 43% in the new NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey
Shhhh…..you'll kill Teh Rantz®!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies