Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 04:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It is not a legitimate disorder. It's an excuse.
In that case, why don't YOU explain it? Instead of blah-blah-blahing about your opinions, give us some facts. Explain why stimulants affect the brains of ADHD kids differently than the brains of normal kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 04:37 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yet in France far fewer kids are diagnosed.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...dont-have-adhd

In other words they use good old fashion common sense but hey you know better than them.
I never said it was always diagnosed properly, it is however in same cases, a legitimate diagnosis. In those cases, proper treatment, both medication and psychiatric treatment is called for.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:

In other words they use good old fashion common sense but hey you know better than them.
And BTW, THIS was written in the same magazine as YOUR article, in respons to it..

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...adhd-interview

Old 12-14-2013, 05:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA

Lol! It seems like YOU know better than them. Same magazine...

Moliere described ADHD in his play L'Étourdi ou Les Contretemps (The Blunderer) in 1655. However, the concept of ADHD, or "Trouble déficit de l’attention/hyperactivité"(TDAH), as a serious disorder is still not fully accepted in France. However, ADHD impacts the functioning of 3.5% of the population of France (Lecendreux, et al. 2011). In addition, ADHD is just as prevalent in other countries as it is in the U.S. (Faraone, et al. 2003).

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-14-2013 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 12-14-2013, 06:33 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
If I was a child in school today I would definetly be diagnosed with ADHD and my older brother would have went to prison,we were quite wild.Lucky we went to school in the 50's and had teachers beat some sense into us and turned out to be contributing hard working citizens.I watched my daughters and watch my grandkids to make sure they are not lured into this fake pill selling scam.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:43 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
Kids are a naturally hyper. Go see a doc. Tell them you think you kid is sick cause he cannot sit still. Instead of asking about the kids diet, you will get the doc to give meds.
Make stuff up about the kid, " the kid just cannot sit still". Meds will be answer. Then see another doc the same day. Tell that one " my kid is just so docile and has no energy". Meds is the answer. It is sad.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:16 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Well duh. The quacks make stuff up, big pharma makes some placebos and away we go epedemic and everyone is popping pills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/he...sorder.html?hp

This is the kind of stuff that causes people who suffer from ADD/ADHD want to throw up their hands in despair. Attention deficit disorder is very real and causes genuine suffering and a severely decreased ability to function in those whose lives have been impacted by this form of cognitive impairment. Attention deficit disorder is not some imaginary affliction any more than traumatic brain injury is just something Iraq vets pretend to have just because they were injured by a "harmless" little IED.

Attention deficit disorder is not some imaginary affliction that big pharma has created anymore than stage 3 breast cancer is an imaginary disease that big pharma has created to make a killing off all those drugs used in "needless" chemo therapy.

I wish with all my heart that my ADD/ADHD symptoms were just the product of some quack's fevered imaginings and that the suffering I and others like me must endure could simply vanish if only we thought "good thoughts" and used a little will power. Do you ask someone suffering from diabetes to just eat fewer sugary foods and tell them that right thought can replace an imagined need for insulin?

The article you posted your link to is far more harmful than 10 years therapy with any of the currently approved drugs for treatment of ADD could ever be. If you want to glory in your ignorance and point fingers at a group of people who are doing their best to be productive members of society despite their very real handicaps, don't blame big pharma for your own mean spiritedness.

Big pharma is indeed responsible for any number of sins and its greed is certainly legendary. We should all support actions to rein in the abuses big pharma visits on far to many people suffering from a broad array of illnesses and conditions. However, the way to begin reform is not to attack those who are suffering already. Compassion and understanding will cure more ills than blanket condemnation and an attitude of judgementalism.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
If I was a child in school today I would definetly be diagnosed with ADHD and my older brother would have went to prison,we were quite wild.Lucky we went to school in the 50's and had teachers beat some sense into us and turned out to be contributing hard working citizens.I watched my daughters and watch my grandkids to make sure they are not lured into this fake pill selling scam.
True. My brothers and I were kids in the 1970s and we feel the same way.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-14-2013 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 08:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
ADHD has always been a cop out for sh*tty parenting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
My prescription: better parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies