Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:11 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Either way, USA did nothing. Russia is the global leader it seems.
Another poster that believes what amounts to a crock of steaming ****

Obama's Magnificent Stealth Negotiation with Putin - Forbes

Don't let the facts stop you from worshipping a dictator like Putin though. I know, he's especially lovable to the right wing right about now for his demonization of gays, so have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they will claim its a right wing blog that has no meaning, or that obama used the intelligence available at the time, or that republicans also made the same claims, or some such garbage.
... Or that it's all just another "phony" claim and the big bad GOP and/or Tea Party are just to get King Obama; he and his administration can do no wrong.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Get back to me when Obama mounts an invasion and occupation of Syria.

Until then, your whole thing is apples to onions.
red herring logical fallacy
Logical Fallacies» Red Herring

also see 'appeal to consequences' fallacy. Either one fits.

The issue is whether the admin lied about WMD.

I ran across this interview of Hersh. It's lengthy but worth listening to. Hersh mentions that he voted for Pres. Obama twice. He says that he thinks Obama would have been willing to go to war against Assad but was actually stopped by opposition in the Pentagon, which Hersh says he can't fully reveal now, and the story will have to wait for historians to tell it sometime in the future.

Seymour Hersh: Obama "Cherry-Picked" Intelligence on Syrian Chemical Attack to Justify U.S. Strike | Democracy Now!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:15 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
All I know about Syria is what I've read in the papers. I have to admit that I have not even yet read Hersh's piece, which appeared in a Brit news outlet that I've never heard of. Hence I can't say either way whether Obama/Kerry actually lied. I just remember at the time being surprised that the WH (Kerry in particular) was so adamant that Assad was responsible for the use of chemical weapons. The timing didn't add up.

As for W Bush, we've been over that with a microscope on CD. Bush did not lie about WMD. Let's review the definition of lie: a lie is a false statement, which the person issuing knows to be false at the time it is stated.

I've posted this many times before, but why not one more: even Saddam's own senior officers believed, right up to the invasion, that Saddam still had stockpiles of WMD. They were accustomed to being kept out of the loop, because Saddam trusted no one. And Saddam said in interrogation after being captured that he had pursued a strategy of 'deterrence by doubt' that was mainly intended to keep the Iranians guessing about whether he still had WMD.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ll-should.html
Your link is actually titled, "George W. Bush did not (knowingly) lie about WMDs in Iraq | Other voices - The News Tribune."

And I will 100% concede that GW Bush did not (knowingly) lie about WMDs in Iraq. It was Cheney, Rumsfeld, and 12 other members of the GW Bush White House that knowingly lied about Iraq.

The following is a copy/paste of a post I previously made in this forum about this subject.

The corporate think tank "project for a new American century" caused the Iraq war.
Project for the New American Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This think tank was also trying to get Bill Clinton to invade Iraq, by way of letters from Donald Rumsfeld.
A Failed Project For The New American Century?

12 members of this think tank were members of the GW Bush White House, including Cheney and Rumsfeld. This think tank is made up of oil and military supply corporations. This think tank has being wanting to invade Iraq for many, many years before Sept 11. Before Sept 11 they used the excuse Saddam was a dictator, but in reality they wanted to invade Iraq (for all the things these corporations got because of the Iraq war, I will list these things later in this post.)

What Is The Project for the New American Century? | Witness Iraq

After Sept 11 happened Cheney and Rumsfeld created a new office in the CIA/FBI. They then looked through all the intelligence gathered about Iraq, and they presented intelligence (that was already investigated and found to be untrue) to the American people.

Office of Special Plans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Video: Cheney's Law | Watch FRONTLINE Online | PBS Video

The GW Bush administration made 935 untrue statements about Iraq prior to the Iraq war.
Study: Bush, aides made 935 false statements in run-up to war - CNN.com

Cheney a former Haliburton CEO gave the Halliburton corporation no-bid government contracts, and increased Haliburtons profits by 700%.
Halliburton Has a Friend in Dick Cheney: No Bid Contracts in Iraq and Getting Off the Hook on Asbestos - A BuzzFlash Reader Commentary
FOCUS | Cheney's Halliburton Made $39.5 Billion on Iraq War
Halliburton, Dick Cheney, and Wartime Spoils

The corporations that funded the "project for a new American century" are in Iraq making billions of dollars building military bases, moving supplies, controlling oil pipelines, building water wells, ex.ex.
Contractors Reap $138 Billion from Iraq War, Cheney’s Halliburton #1 with $39.5 Billion | LeakSource
Why the war in Iraq was fought for Big Oil - CNN.com
The 25 Most Vicious Iraq War Profiteers

These corporations have also made billions of dollars disappear.
How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish | World news | The Guardian
Missing Iraq Money As High As $18 Billion: Iraqi Parliament Speaker

This link is a time line of the Iraq war.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...q-war-timeline

The following documentary contains many high ranking US government/Military officials. Its where I first learned of the "project for the new American century."

The Oil Factor: Behind the War on Terror - YouTube

The Oil Factor: Behind the War on Terror | Watch Free Documentary Online

Last edited by chad3; 12-15-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 03:29 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
All I know about Syria is what I've read in the papers. I have to admit that I have not even yet read Hersh's piece, which appeared in a Brit news outlet that I've never heard of. Hence I can't say either way whether Obama/Kerry actually lied. I just remember at the time being surprised that the WH (Kerry in particular) was so adamant that Assad was responsible for the use of chemical weapons. The timing didn't add up.

As for W Bush, we've been over that with a microscope on CD. Bush did not lie about WMD. Let's review the definition of lie: a lie is a false statement, which the person issuing knows to be false at the time it is stated.

I've posted this many times before, but why not one more: even Saddam's own senior officers believed, right up to the invasion, that Saddam still had stockpiles of WMD. They were accustomed to being kept out of the loop, because Saddam trusted no one. And Saddam said in interrogation after being captured that he had pursued a strategy of 'deterrence by doubt' that was mainly intended to keep the Iranians guessing about whether he still had WMD.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ll-should.html
And Iraq had no (viable) weapons of mass destruction. The chemical weapons that Iraq had were too old to be effective, Iraq's chemical weapons were made useless by age.

The Cost of Ignoring UN Inspectors: An Unnecessary War with Iraq | Arms Control Now: The Blog of the Arms Control Association

Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
So why didn't they invade in 1991, when they had the perfect chance? Again Cheney was the architect of the decision not to go to Baghdad in 1991. He thought that the Iraqis themselves would topple Saddam, and that was the preferable way to hand it. Why would he have thought that way if your conspiracy theory is accurate?

Why not go in there, get that oil, instead of waiting 12 years? Not to mention, why give up all that oil 12 years later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"The oil belongs to the Iraqi people. It's their asset,"

Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
So you are going to claim that all of the following were "lying" about Iraq WMD?

-President Bill Clinton
-Every single one of Saddam's Generals when captured said Saddam had WMD
-Hillary
-Kerry
-Kennedy
-Gore who criticized Bush for being too soft on Iraq WMD
-Reid
-Pelosi
-Albrecht
-several other countries intelligence reports confirming US intel

Democrats on Iraq + WMD's (Weapons of Mass Destruction) - YouTube
Your comments never make sense, you just posted a video of people who were lied to, not the ones who created the lies.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your comments never make sense, you just posted a video of people who were lied to, not the ones who created the lies.
so in other words you believe that bush created the lies, two years, or more, before he was elected, and then lied to the democrats, and the democrats passed on those lies to the american public. you have the real makings of a conspiracy here.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so in other words you believe that bush created the lies, two years, or more, before he was elected, and then lied to the democrats, and the democrats passed on those lies to the american public. you have the real makings of a conspiracy here.
Democrats have been lying about Iraq for over a decade. This thread is no different. The war in Iraq was not solely about weapons of mass destruction. If these people actually read the Iraqi War Resolution as opposed to just mouthbreathing out the DNC's talking points, we might be able to have a rational discussion about the topic. As it stands, there is no point in discussing Iraq with liberals because they are simply going to continue to lie no matter what anyone says.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Someone should ask Seymour what exactly the Syrians and the UN will be disposing in the coming days.
Check it out......

An advance team of disarmament experts from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons arrived in Syria earlier this month to set up the broader operation to dismantle and ultimately destroy the chemical program, believed to include some 1,000 tons of toxic agents.

U.N. says destruction of Syria's chemical weapons underway - CBS News
U.S. officials said last week that Washington and Moscow agreed that Syria had roughly 1,000 metric tons (1,100 tons) of chemical weapons agents and precursors, including blister agents, such as sulfur and mustard gas and nerve agents like sarin.

OPCW Reviewing Syria's Chemical Weapons Inventory As U.S., Russia Try To Determine Next Steps

.....tell me what you see.

You all understand wire-sources put the news on the wire, and then media outlets write it up and print it, usually adding their own spin to it....or omitting information that is critical to evaluation.

What I want you to look at is "....chemical weapons agents and precursors...."

A "precursor" is a chemical or compound that may be used in the manufacture of a chemical weapon agent, but is not in and of itself a chemical agent per se.

Nearly all of you have the precursors in your home or apartment, or they are available at your office or the factory where you work, to make any number of chemical weapons agents.

This is phrasing is suspicious....

"...including blister agents, such as sulfur and mustard gas..."

...because it is redundant. They're the same thing. It would be like saying Chlorox Bleach and Chlorine Bleach --- which are the same thing.

Back to "precursors"...that would be for sarin nerve agent.

In other words, what the article really says is that Syria has sulfur/mustard gas, and the precursors for sarin --- which is not proof Syria has sarin gas or that it was ever deployed.

Had you bothered to read the unclassified parts of the House Intelligence Committee that were published, then you'd know that Clinton illegally bought weapons and munitions from Iran.

Those weapons and munitions were given to al-Qaida, specifically to al-Zawahiri operating out of Albania to smuggle those weapons into Bosnia and Kosovo-Metohija.

You'd also know that al-Qaida attacked Muslim communities at the direction of the US, and then Clinton blamed it on the Serbs. Clinton used the same MO to insert the US into Central Asia, overthrow governments and set up puppet dictatorships, so that the US could build air bases and military facilities in Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan.

I'm guessing you're not big on MO -- Modus Operandi

The US has an history of hiring others or steering others to attack US assets or assets that will allow the US to insert itself into a given situation.

Like I've been saying for years, this is exactly how US troops will end up in eastern Russia fighting and dying for the oil, coal, natural gas, timber, strategic minerals, metal ores and other non-metallic minerals there.

You might want to open your eyes.

Disposing...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies