Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And then, there's this:

Coming Soon: More Light Bulb Bans | 1000Bulbs.com

Quote:
Fortunately, there’s a silver lining to the Halogen PAR ban. Most eliminated PAR lamps will be replaced with IR Halogens, which have a special infrared coating on the Halogen capsule to redirect heat inward and increase the efficiency of the bulb. This allows them to meet the minimum efficiency requirement of around 18 LPW.
And here they are, available at Home Depot, 1.5 years after this phase-out.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I did this once already.

The Jobs Czar: General Electric's Jeffrey Immelt

The Jobs Czar: General Electric's Jeffrey Immelt - CBS News

General Electric to Close Kentucky Light Bulb Plant.

General Electric to Close Kentucky Light Bulb Plant.

GE Closes Last Incandescent Light Bulb Plant, Jobs Sent to China

GE Closes Last Incandescent Light Bulb Plant, Jobs Sent to China

How much energy are we saving by shipping bulbs from China as opposed to Kentucky? I suppose you might offset it somewhat since all the people that once worked at the plant in Kentucky now has nowhere to go to everyday.

I couldn't we through this quagmire though went to the last page and ths post.

What all this tells me is what I already know - the US federal government doesn't create jobs. They can't regulate every utility/commodity to do so as it is counterproductive in the long run. War on poverty, drugs, crime and others have proven to be useless. Now they are waging a war on jobs. One thing you can count on when the government is involved is seeing plants close due to regulations.
After all is said and done, they know what is best for us, correct?

Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
And then, there's this:

Coming Soon: More Light Bulb Bans | 1000Bulbs.com

And here they are, available at Home Depot, 1.5 years after this phase-out.
The bulbs I use the most are halogens that look like this:

I have them in all of my enclosed fixtures, inside and out. I like the light they give off and they last longer than incandescents.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Isn't it nice when Big Government is so in the pockets of Big Business that we get to pay $20 for a lightbulb that used to cost 50 cents?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Perhaps enough voters will rise up and get Congress to legalize those incandescents. That will not force manufacturers to make them. Sales of those have been on the decline for years and most manufacturers already phasing them out. It is doubtful any new production lines will start up.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Damn right! Why did they have to go and replace kerosene lanterns with light bulbs! Didn't people realize how much better they were?
I SWEAR,EVERYTHING GOOD WE HAD FROM THE PAST IS BEING REPLACED WITH GARBAGE!!!!!!

AND MOST PEOPLE WILLINGLY ACCEPT THIS TRASH WHEN THEY HAD BETTER BEFORE!!!!!
Kerosene was a highly flammable fluid which produced a flame that could ignite a house fire pretty quickly if flame went astray. The incandescent was far safer.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Strange, I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my enclosed fixtures well over a year ago...None have burned out yet.
And if all last another 50 years, you'll break even on the extra cost!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

And if all last another 50 years, you'll break even on the extra cost!
I don't get your point. My CFLs are crap. I like 200W bulbs for my front porch light and they give off as much light as a floodlamp. No CFL or LED bulb will come close to what these babies can throw out. When it is dark I want real light, not some shadowy crap that causes me to turn on another lamp. It is impossible to read by one because the light spectrum frequency and I don't get along.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:48 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Isn't it nice when Big Government is so in the pockets of Big Business that we get to pay $20 for a lightbulb that used to cost 50 cents?
Only if you choose to.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,959 times
samiwas1

In reply to your question as to why it would scare me is the fact that potentially someday we could only have CFL bulbs. If you read the articles about the incandescent light bulbs they talk about the light bulbs outside the range that is being banned. Check out this article;Not all household incandescent light bulbs are going to disappear | cleveland.com In the event that a rise in sales of incandescent bulbs surges after the ban these additional wattage's could be banned as well.

There is mercury in CFL bulbs and this can be toxic and harmful to people. There are special ways to clean this up and I was not aware when I had a CFL bulb explode on me of the dangers of mercury. Not trying to be a scare monger-er. Just trying to present the facts.

You make a great point about the limited resource of power and we all share it. So very true. I do think renewable energy and alternatives such as wind power have a place in the world. I am glad we are able to have a discussion about this topic.

Charlie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies