Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 04:00 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
You ever try to get a CFL bulb to light at minus 25-30 degrees?
They aren't too great as an outdoor light...

Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post

Shouldn't heating be left to... I dunno... heaters?
Incandescent's are used in places where you might need a little heat, as i already mentioned it'a an easy and safe way to help prevent corrosion in coal stove over the summer months when it's not operating.

Secondly electric heat is common and if you have electric heat your savings with CFL's are $0 in the winter time. Proabaly costing you money becsue of the greater expense for the bulb.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Because, until you are making your own electricity, which I assume you are not, you are sharing a power grid with everyone else. Power is not an unlimited resource, is not able to be stored for future use, and must be generated at the time of need. As well, power grids can handle only a certain amount of electricity. As more areas get more built up, more strain is put on the grid. If everyone uses an excessive amount of electricity, the grid shuts down leaving everyone without it. Cue energy-saving measures to allow more stuff to happen on the same grid.
Creating a crisis through government regulation and then "fixing" it with more government regulations is the new normal.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Okay, so let me get this straight. You're saying that incandescent bulbs are better for the poor? There are 75w led replacements for as little as $10 a bulb now. This means that the poor will not have to replace a bulb for 20+ years, and save 50% on their lighting energy.
So $10 for a light bulb is "good" for the poor? Are you also a big fan of "Arbeit macht frei"?

The CFLs were also advertised to last for years, yet every one I've installed has last about the same, if not less, than conventional bulbs.

Quote:
As I said, I'm not a tree hugger, but switching from incandescent and CFL bulbs to LED makes perfect sense. I'm glad you have your 100 year old energy inefficient stash of screw in glow wires. You will certainly show me how to pay less for a bulb, while paying more for the energy to run them.
Your statement about carbon footprint reduction belies that. Go preach it to the Chinese factories that are belching out toxins by the ton each minute.

You're free to purchase and use anything you wish. You are not free to mandate that I follow your path. The tree hugging advocates in government are doing it to us at gun point under the guise of doing "what's best for us" because after all, they know better than we do, right?

Quote:
I feel so ignorant now.
You're welcome.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
these new energy efficient bulbs suck. For something that is supposed to be "efficient" is more of a health hazzard if they break.
who is the clown that invented these?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Okay, so let me get this straight. You're saying that incandescent bulbs are better for the poor?
Absolutely they are.

This fall I bought 3 small candelabra types for the porch light. I'm now down to one that's dim and flickering.

8 dollars worth of light bulbs that had a shorter life than the incandescants, consumed MASSIVELY more energy to create and will create MASSIVELY more pollution when I throw them away, then the incandescants... They cost more, wasted more energy, created more pollution, used more resources than the "bad" lights they're supposed to "fix".

It's a wasteful, energy sucking, resource killing, costly mandate with no redeeming value whatsoever, that hurts people with limited budgets. All so people like you can go around feeling smugly self superior about what you want others forced to do.

I consider that a bargain made in hell.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It's not asinine at all. Incandescents waste 99% of the energy they take in by emitting it as heat and only 1% as light. If every American home has incandescents, all that waste seriously adds up. Plus, the law does not outright ban incandescents, it just sets standards that existing incandescents do not meet. If some entrepreneur wants to swoop in and develop incandescents that meet those standards, they are free to do so.
LOL! The law bans the production of incandescents that, by their very nature, won't meet those standards.

If we want to use Thomas Edison's greatest invention, that's our business. Apparently, that's exactly what most people wanted to do...hence, the law.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL! The law bans the production of incandescents that, by their very nature, won't meet those standards.

If we want to use Thomas Edison's greatest invention, that's our business. Apparently, that's exactly what most people wanted to do...hence, the law.
Yup. The government found the people didn't want to do what they wanted them to do. So, they forced it.

Leftists have a belief in the infallibility of government to make people do what they should, to save them from themselves.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Don't worry I am sure China will produce millions of bulbs and we will import them. The only problem being cheap junk chinese bulbs will probably burn your houses down.......

Old 12-22-2013, 12:40 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If they expect people to recycle CFL's.....they need to make it easy and convenient.....like they do with plastic bags.

A container right where you walk in the door of the store to put them in.......I haven't seen one yet.
Talk to Home Depot - apparently, they've been offering CFL recycling in all of their stores for years. I can't find anything on their website that specifically discusses recycling, though. Wally World was also looking at offering recycling of CFL bulbs, too, but I don't know if they are doing it in all stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies