Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 01:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
However, it is not illegal to make carburetors. I can go to the auto parts store and buy a carburetor today, and I'll be able to go buy a carburetor next year, and the year after, and for the foreseeable future. They are still being manufactured for use on cars that use them.

Just because new cars aren't manufactured with carburetors doesn't mean I can't buy a carburetor. The only way the carburetor argument would be valid in this context is if lighting fixtures that use incandescent bulbs had been banned, and they haven't.

Carburetor = part of a car that controls the burning of fuel which has not been banned.
Incandescent light bulb = part of the lighting fixture which emits light that has been banned.
None of them will you be able to install on a new car and expect it to pass an emissions test.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
60 watt bulb last 2,000 hours. Use120 killowatthours. At 0.10 per kwh thar is $12.00

Equivelent CFL in 2000 hours uses abour $4.00 in electric cost and can continue for another4,000 hours.

What you guys are demanding is the right to do the wrong thing
I am quite sure the tests that were done to come up with those figures were done on CFL's used in optimal circumstances..........not on CFL's that were used in recessed/enclosed fixtures.....where MOST of them will be used in the real world.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:55 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
blah blah blah...GE, Sylvania and Phillips wanted people to buy their higher profit margin bulbs and protect themselves from foreign manufacturers killing them on incandescents. They partnered with the eco-commandos, made the whole thing sound like it was for everyone's own good, paid the House and Senate a tidy sum in booze & hookers (otherwise known as lobbying funds), and whammo blammo, the 100 year old, ubiquitous light bulb is illegal and immoral, and the new higher profit margin bulbs are saviors of the universe.

That's it, that's all. Crony capitalism in a perfectly shiny and glaringly simple illustration.

Big corporate players wanted Joe American forced to buy something, so the government said okie doke, give us booze and hookers and we'll make them buy your newer bulbs. Done. End of story.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
However, it is not illegal to make carburetors. I can go to the auto parts store and buy a carburetor today, and I'll be able to go buy a carburetor next year, and the year after, and for the foreseeable future. They are still being manufactured for use on cars that use them.

Just because new cars aren't manufactured with carburetors doesn't mean I can't buy a carburetor. The only way the carburetor argument would be valid in this context is if lighting fixtures that use incandescent bulbs had been banned, and they haven't.

Carburetor = part of a car that controls the burning of fuel which has not been banned.
Incandescent light bulb = part of the lighting fixture which emits light that has been banned.
Thereis no ban on incandescent bulbs just an efficency standard.

Same thing with fuel injection gas mileage requires it

Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Emission regulations have basically made carburetors illegal to use in new cars because they wouldn't be able to pass the emission regulations due to the fact that they are obsolete technology much like your obsolete light bulb that wastes almost all of its energy.
They are not illegal. They are used in many applications.

Quote:
Do you leave your faucets running when they are not in use? Then why would you want lights that waste almost all the energy that goes into them?
It's been covered. Some use them as a cheap heat source.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:10 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Emission regulations have basically made carburetors illegal to use in new cars because they wouldn't be able to pass the emission regulations due to the fact that they are obsolete technology much like your obsolete light bulb that wastes almost all of its energy.
You are going to pursue this argument against all logic? Okay, then, let's sort this out.

There is no ban on carburetors for the vehicles that were originally designed with a carburetor. If you have a 1972 Nova and it needs a carburetor, you can go buy one. It may be a special order item, but they are still manufactured - in fact, some are still made right here in the USA. Now, I have a lamp that was manufactured before CFL light bulbs even existed. It was designed for incandescent bulbs. Once the stores run out of their supply of incandescent bulbs of the right wattage, I will no longer be able to purchase the bulb that the lamp was designed for at the local store. Not because the market killed off the manufacture of incandescent bulbs, but because the government and big business realized that the general public was never going to switch over to CFLs voluntarily because it is cost prohibitive.

*As a side note, the lamp I am referencing was a hand me down from my grandfather and is one of two lights in my house that don't use CFL bulbs. I'm not against CFLs, I'm against the government overreaching in matters of product availability.

Quote:
Do you leave your faucets running when they are not in use? Then why would you want lights that waste almost all the energy that goes into them?
Is it illegal for me to leave my faucets running? Nope. It's merely cost prohibitive, so I choose to turn them off when not in use. I should have the same choice of what light bulb I can use in my house.

Quote:
None of them will you be able to install on a new car and expect it to pass an emissions test.
Why would you attempt to install a carburetor on a car that wasn't designed to use a carburetor?

Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
blah blah blah...GE, Sylvania and Phillips wanted people to buy their higher profit margin bulbs and protect themselves from foreign manufacturers killing them on incandescents. They partnered with the eco-commandos, made the whole thing sound like it was for everyone's own good, paid the House and Senate a tidy sum in booze & hookers (otherwise known as lobbying funds), and whammo blammo, the 100 year old, ubiquitous light bulb is illegal and immoral, and the new higher profit margin bulbs are saviors of the universe.

That's it, that's all. Crony capitalism in a perfectly shiny and glaringly simple illustration.

Big corporate players wanted Joe American forced to buy something, so the government said okie doke, give us booze and hookers and we'll make them buy your newer bulbs. Done. End of story.
RWN distorted reality.

The USA supppliers klled the old products to adopt ones domi ated by the Chinese.

Sure that sounds rignt.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are not illegal. They are used in many applications.

It's been covered. Some use them as a cheap heat source.
Can you install a carburetor on a new car and expect it to pass an emissions test? That is what I was referring to when I said illegal. I didn't mean they were officially illegal, much like it isn't illegal for you to own incandescent bulbs.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Can you install a carburetor on a new car and expect it to pass an emissions test? That is what I was referring to when I said illegal. I didn't mean they were officially illegal, much like it isn't illegal for you to own incandescent bulbs.
Just to manufacture them. It's not illegal to manufacture carbs, cassette tapes, VCR's etc.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
on a list of 100 problems that plague this country, the light bulb was #999........if that!

I don't even know this country anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies