Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And why can't you use CFLs on your patio and deck?
The oil lamps have a specific purpose, I use citronella oil to help keep the bugs away plus it's just a really relaxing way to light. For gerneral lighting in that area I have both flood lamps and smaller porch lamps. Both have incandescent because they are usually on for a very short time and I don't have time to wait for them to warm up.

Quote:
Also if you have a power outage, wouldn't that light be useless without power?
As far as the bulbs go not unless I run out of gasoline but you're missing the point. I don't need to run a generator 24/7 in the summer if I have oil lamps and candles. It's really not even an energy issue, where I live it's dead quiet 24/7 and hearing the hum of a generator is quite annoying especially when you're trying to sleep.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
So, in summary, your view is that the American people are too stupid to pick out a light bulb, so they need the guidance of their intellectual superiors, like you. Would that cover it?
This is one of those things that affects everyone via increased energy costs just to keep a failing electrical grid running so that you can waste energy and throw money out the door.

I'm living in the 21st century saving tens of thousands of dollars every year over using incandescents by using the latest technology. What exactly are you doing? What is your purpose in opposing new technology like LED lighting?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Often times new technology makes old technology obsolete.
Tell me how obsolete it is when you flick a switch and the light doesn't come on. You live in Brooklyn, 2 hour power outage is a crisis?.... LOL You can expect that where I live perhaps once or twice a year and if it only lasts 2 hours you are lucky. When you have major storm if the power goes out you can expect it to be days. There was a three day and five day power outage 2 years ago, the five days was after Irene. I'm at the end of the list for service, it's not a high priority area.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Of course, a few keen, sapient, insightful Americans realize this Light bulb plan/Ban's ultimate goal is part of the Bigger Agenda....to disrupt and END American Liberty and Freedom.
Really? Your freedom to waste energy? Unless you have your own power power source that affects everyone.

There are far more nefarious things stealing your freedom that moving into the future and using the latest technology advances in lighting.

Just remember all that when the power company increases its rates to do upgrades and repairs.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Really? Your freedom to waste energy? Unless you have your own power power source that affects everyone.
Oil and electric heat are easily the most energy intensive forms of fuel used for heat and is certainly going to make the energy used for lighting look like chump change. Let's go for the gold and require natural gas for heating and if you don have access to natural gas piped from the street we'll require that you use coal.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Oil and electric heat are easily the most energy intensive forms of fuel used for heat and is certainly going to make the energy used for lighting look like chump change. Let's go for the gold and require natural gas for heating and if you don have access to natural gas piped from the street we'll require that you use coal.
I'm okay with that where it's practical. I see what you're getting at but let's face it changing bulbs isn't like asking the entire nation to switch from oil and electric heat to coal and NG. Plus you'd still have cooling and refrigeration needs which is where things like heat pumps come in.

Do you really want renters and home owners tossing coal in the furnace for heat?

Old 01-12-2014, 01:55 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
This is one of those things that affects everyone via increased energy costs just to keep a failing electrical grid running so that you can waste energy and throw money out the door.

I'm living in the 21st century saving tens of thousands of dollars every year over using incandescents by using the latest technology. What exactly are you doing? What is your purpose in opposing new technology like LED lighting?
I don't know of anyone who is opposed to the manufacture and sale of LED or CFL lights. What most are opposed to is the government mandating that people have to switch over. Let me explain it this way:

I am an avid reader. 98% of the reading that I do is done on a tablet. I haven't opened a physical book in months, quite frankly. However, if the government were to mandate that all books must be published in ebook format because books printed on paper don't meet some sort of environmental standard, I'd still be objecting to that mandate because it is not the government's place to make that decision. When the market shifts to the point that publishing books on paper is no longer profitable, paper books will become obsolete. Until then, they will continue to be printed. Light bulbs should be treated the same way. It was still profitable to make incandescents because there was a market demand for them, therefore there should be no mandate banning them from manufacture and/or sale.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I don't know of anyone who is opposed to the manufacture and sale of LED or CFL lights. What most are opposed to is the government mandating that people have to switch over. Let me explain it this way:

I am an avid reader. 98% of the reading that I do is done on a tablet. I haven't opened a physical book in months, quite frankly. However, if the government were to mandate that all books must be published in ebook format because books printed on paper don't meet some sort of environmental standard, I'd still be objecting to that mandate because it is not the government's place to make that decision. When the market shifts to the point that publishing books on paper is no longer profitable, paper books will become obsolete. Until then, they will continue to be printed. Light bulbs should be treated the same way. It was still profitable to make incandescents because there was a market demand for them, therefore there should be no mandate banning them from manufacture and/or sale.
The real question is should government create performance requirements on products.

Many things have them. Automobiles would be a major one. Should we do away with pollution, performance and safety requirements on automobiles?

Where would you draw the line?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Do you really want renters and home owners tossing coal in the furnace for heat?
You don't have to toss anything into the furnace, it's automated however you may have to fill a hopper or 55 gallon drum. Coal heat is not what you think it is, this nearly fully automated feed.

EFM DF 520 Biofuel Boiler System_0001.wmv - YouTube

As far as renters if I had enough units in same area I'd go with the coal heat, you can offer lower rent including heat and hot water, pay someone to maintain them and pocket some cash. You'd have be nuts if the renter was going to maintain it because you'll have a $9k piece of junk on your hands.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-12-2014 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

The government did not mandate that people use CFLs. They mandated that "light bulbs" have a minimum energy efficiency. Most incandescents that meet the standard can not be economically produced. It is no different than mandates for fuel economy or safety standards in cars. You can drive your gas guzzling clunker till it won't run any more (or you can't find parts) and then you are going to have to replace it with a more modern, efficient vehicle unless you can find another gas guzzling clunker. You can keep your old bulbs till they burn out and when you replace them, you will need to use a more modern, efficient light bulb unless you can find more energy wasting bulbs somewhere. In both the cases of the auto and the bulb, we are all better off for the government energy standard. Change is inevitable. Live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies