Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And do you only light your home with oil lamps rather than use electricity? Often times new technology makes old technology obsolete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
You can't buy oil whale but you can certainly buy an oil lamp and just like the incandescent bulb I have specific uses for them. They are nice out on the patio and deck and I also keep a few around in case of power outages. We have a generator but running it 24/7 is waste of fuel and annoying to boot. When you only need light at night the oil lamps come in handy. I also had a mini one I bought 25 years ago specifically for use in a tent, huge difference when it's 5 degrees out.
You seem to have some issues confusing your posters. I have no oil lamps. I am highlighting the important sections of the post in question so you can see how he uses them. It is not to light his house.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The government did not mandate that people use CFLs. They mandated that "light bulbs" have a minimum energy efficiency.
Again I'm going to suggest that is dishonest argument, it's like saying banning metal in bullets isn't a bullet ban. If a rule or regulation is either going to make something cost prohibitive or impossible then it's effectively a ban.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The government did not mandate that people use CFLs. They mandated that "light bulbs" have a minimum energy efficiency. Most incandescents that meet the standard can not be economically produced. It is no different than mandates for fuel economy or safety standards in cars. You can drive your gas guzzling clunker till it won't run any more (or you can't find parts) and then you are going to have to replace it with a more modern, efficient vehicle unless you can find another gas guzzling clunker. You can keep your old bulbs till they burn out and when you replace them, you will need to use a more modern, efficient light bulb unless you can find more energy wasting bulbs somewhere. In both the cases of the auto and the bulb, we are all better off for the government energy standard. Change is inevitable. Live with it.
Fail. It's a distinction without a difference. And the government never mandated fuel efficiencies for individual car models, only at the fleet level. How much is GE paying you to write this pap?

Last edited by Glenfield; 01-12-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You mean by forcing them to save money?
The authoritarian methods are what we object to. I would say that someday they'll force you to do something against your will, but you strike me as the compliant type. I'm sure you will want to continue to please your masters.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Again I'm going to suggest that is dishonest argument, it's like saying banning metal in bullets isn't a bullet ban. If a rule or regulation is either going to make something cost prohibitive or impossible then it's effectively a ban.
Of course it is a ban...but not of light bulbs or even incandescent ones. You are technical enough to know that halogens are incandescent. And there are other incandescent that do meet the standard.

There is even a technique under development that may make conventional tungsten filaments meet the spec.

Again what is the general rule. Do we allow the government to set performance standards or not?

Deciding this one is some sort of a conspiracy is silly. The fringe gets carried away and resorts to a conspiracy theory as the only other explanation is that the goverment was trying to make things better. And the involved know that cannot be true.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
It would be the same as trying to say there is a ban on carburetors because of emission regulations.

If you want incandescent bulbs, no one is stopping you from making your own.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:17 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
Quote:
A "modern" coal boiler has very little difference than any other boiler other than putting coal in one side and taking ashes out of the other. It's all automated. Modern is in quotes because the designs have changed very little from the 50's, there isn't much more advancement to be made. They were already super efficient and it's ironic that just recently oil and gas boilers are catching up.

Dude wouldn't have one if it came out after the eighties.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:26 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The authoritarian methods are what we object to. I would say that someday they'll force you to do something against your will, but you strike me as the compliant type. I'm sure you will want to continue to please your masters.
Thats the crux of this thread, but the usual suspects have shown up to conflate the issue with what they think the better technology is.The same people wont rest till their mommy government tells us all how to dress.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Thats the crux of this thread, but the usual suspects have shown up to conflate the issue with what they think the better technology is.The same people wont rest till their mommy government tells us all how to dress.
Uhh no. We have simply defined the issue without idiot thoughts of conspiracy. Does the government have the power and duty to regulate efficiency? Simple as that.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Uhh no. We have simply defined the issue without idiot thoughts of conspiracy. Does the government have the power and duty to regulate efficiency? Simple as that.
Sure you have.
It does not have such a duty and I have no idea why any forward thinking person would want it to, however it has enough power to do as it pleases, as we have seen time and time again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies