Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:15 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times

Advertisements

Like the LED's myself. At my age I may never need to change them again unless the grandkids knock over a lamp

Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Once they make a dimmable CFL I'll buy them until then it looks like I'll be sticking with good old incandescent bulbs. We have one LED light in the house and to be honest its not the brightest thing on earth so use more LED/CFLs to make up for the lack of output and we are right back at square one in terms of energy use.

Time to stock up before the guvmint takes light away from us too.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:46 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post

Time to stock up before the guvmint takes light away from us too.
It will be for the greater good.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Both of our bathrooms have HEAT bulbs in ceiling fixtures, along with FLOOD bulbs.
Where can I buy CFL or LED HEAT bulbs?
Which one will work to keep the snow blower warm so it will start easily?
Which one will work in the wet bay of an RV to keep it from freezing?

Well, it looks like for a source of heat I will have to use a 750 or 1500 watt electric heater instead of a 60 watt incandescent bulb. Yep, that will save LOTS of energy!

I have a CFL in a lamp in the living room. I strongly detest that thing! If I wish to sit down and read, I have to turn the light on 5 minutes early so it will be bright enough to read by when I sit down. If I drop the fool thing and it breaks, I probably should call in a HAZMAT team to clean it up, then replace the carpet due to mercury contamination.
Yeah, I know, the new ones are much better. So they say.

By the way, how about a comparison of the pollution caused by the mining and manufacturing of tungsten filament incandescent bulbs and the pollution caused by the mining and manufacturing of LED or CFL bulbs?
What mining, you ask? Remember, if it didn't grow (if it isn't plant or animal), it was MINED!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:57 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yep.....gotta replace all of those ceiling fixtures with something like this. Not enclosed, not recessed.

Strange, I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my enclosed fixtures well over a year ago...None have burned out yet.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:26 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Both of our bathrooms have HEAT bulbs in ceiling fixtures, along with FLOOD bulbs.
Where can I buy CFL or LED HEAT bulbs?
Which one will work to keep the snow blower warm so it will start easily?
Which one will work in the wet bay of an RV to keep it from freezing?

Well, it looks like for a source of heat I will have to use a 750 or 1500 watt electric heater instead of a 60 watt incandescent bulb. Yep, that will save LOTS of energy!

I have a CFL in a lamp in the living room. I strongly detest that thing! If I wish to sit down and read, I have to turn the light on 5 minutes early so it will be bright enough to read by when I sit down. If I drop the fool thing and it breaks, I probably should call in a HAZMAT team to clean it up, then replace the carpet due to mercury contamination.
Yeah, I know, the new ones are much better. So they say.

By the way, how about a comparison of the pollution caused by the mining and manufacturing of tungsten filament incandescent bulbs and the pollution caused by the mining and manufacturing of LED or CFL bulbs?
What mining, you ask? Remember, if it didn't grow (if it isn't plant or animal), it was MINED!
You should use CFLs because one size fits all and you don't know what's best for you.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:45 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post
I would definitely advocate the use of LED bulbs over CFL bulbs. CFLs are not only potentially dangerous, but my mother and I get headaches from them. LED bulbs are fine, though.

They may cost a little more, but they last longer, they use less power, and they won't poison you. Despite the enormous push, don't get the CFLs. Even if the amount of mercury isn't fatal, it's still not exactly good for you if it breaks... which can and does happen. The thing about mercury is that it builds up in the body, and it's hard to get rid of.
Fluorescent tubes contain far more mercury than CFLs but people never bring that up. Bulbs have to be recycled correctly. It isn't difficult, but too many people are lazy.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I drop everything. Care to come by while I drop one?
Time to buy LEDs. Really tired of hearing that argument with other options present now.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:54 AM

LEDs need to have a higher wattage equivalent for some applications.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Since lighting is your career......perhaps you could answer a question.

Why do CFL's say you cannot use them in recessed/enclosed fixtures?

Can't use them in my bathroom, kitchen, porch/garage, basement or hallway fixtures.

For me, that means the only place I can use them is in table lamps.

The one table lamp I regularly use is by my favorite chair, where I like to read, so I use 150-200 Watt incandescent bulbs in that one.

So.....really.....where can I even use CFL's?
200 watts?
Why don't you just use a prison searchlight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies