Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 AM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I trust that you recycle every single one of them, as I do?
No, I don't. I recycle paper and plastic, but CFL's can't go in those bins and I have yet to find anyplace local that has a recycling bin for CFL bulbs.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Since recycling was brought up.

Quote:
The Home Depot is committed to energy-efficient products and initiatives whenever possible. Its important to understand recent federal legislation regarding light bulbs and how we can maximize opportunities to protect our environment.
The Home Depot is proud to offer free CFL recycling in all U.S. stores.
All About CFLs

Quote:
Lowe's also made it easier for customers to make a difference by installing recycling centers in more than 1,700 stores throughout the United States. The permanent recycling centers, located at the store entrance, offer a free, convenient and easy way for customers to recycle rechargeable batteries, cell phones, compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) and plastic shopping bags.
Helping the Environment With Recycling Centers
Quote:
We recycle the following bulb and lighting products:
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Fluorescent Tubes
• Circular Fluorescent
• U Bend Fluorescent
• Plastic Coated and Shatter Shield
• Spot/Flood Lamps
• UV and Germicidal Lamps

Incandescent
Halogen
• Cold Cathode
Metal Halide
High Pressure Sodium
• Mercury Vapor
Ballasts
Light Bulb Recycling - Recycle light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and more

Recycling Center Search - Earth911.com

Old 12-26-2013, 03:30 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,656,907 times
I don't get why so many people flip out about the tiny amounts of mercury in CFL bulbs, but no one seems to be so concerned about the much larger amounts of mercury in regular-sized fluorescent bulbs/ballasts that have been around, and used everyplace, for many many years.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The thread was already in P&OC when Harrier posted in it.
Habitually referring to oneself in the third person is called illeism. It's a normal stage of language development in toddlers, but it's usually outgrown fairly quickly. In adults, at best it can be seen as a pretentious and annoying habit, but at worst it can indicate serious issues. And being illeistic typically undermines a person's credibility with others, leading to absurdities like "Bob Dole shot Bob Dole in Bob Dole's own foot." I usually tune out people who talk like that, their artificiality imbuing whatever they say with a sense that they can't be trusted.

To assist in a possible transition to a normal way of speaking, I edited a few lines of your comments to show the way to Fix That For You.

Quote:
The thread was already in P&OC when Harrier posted in it.
FTFY: The thread was already in P&OC when I posted in it.

Quote:
Harrier never visits the Green Living forum, though he does compost and recycle.
FTFY: I never visit the Green Living forum, though I do compost and recycle.

Quote:
Harrier is a Republican.
FTFY: I am a Republican.

Quote:
Harrier could best be described as a libertarian or a moderate conservative.
FTFY: I could best be described as a libertarian or a moderate conservative.

Quote:
He supports the legalization of all drugs and prostitution, opposes the death penalty, and favors common sense environmental regulation that does not intrude on private property rights.
FTFY: I support the legalization of all drugs and prostitution, oppose the death penalty, and favor common sense environmental regulation that does not intrude on private property rights

Quote:
Though if you try to call Harrier a moderate, many of the LWNJ's on this forum will probably die laughing.
FTFY: Though if you try to call me a moderate, many of the LWNJ's on this forum will probably die laughing.

Notice how much more natural that expression is?

I can't guarantee that people will pay any more attention to what you say, or believe you any more if you just talk normally, as in these examples, but it's a very good place to start. The other way simply lacks credibility.

Last edited by OpenD; 12-27-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 11:11 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What does you using CFL's in your floodlights have to do with me using CFL's in the recessed/totally enclosed fixtures in my house?

And, as far as Ohio, coal plants and mercury......what does any of that have to do with the deficiencies of CFL's?
I've been buying LEDs for awhile. I'm not sure about the amount and quantity of choices for recessed and totally enclosed fixtures. Prices have been going down dramatically just this year and I've seen some in the $4-5 dollar range.
Inefficient light bulbs use more electricity which equals more dependency on centralized coal plants with mercury deposition.
Energy efficiencies across the board always mean savings for consumers and businesses and a big weakening of the big utility companies and their obsolete models. They always resist off-grid and cogeneration approaches that promote consumer choice as well.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Inefficient light bulbs use more electricity which equals more dependency on centralized coal plants with mercury deposition.
If that is your reasoning it's negligible affect for a variety of reasons starting with most of the mercury emissions from US coal plants are deposited outside of the US... at least according to the EPA.

Now if you want to have a positive affect on mercury deposition rates lets go for the gold...literally. Ban gold jewelry, it's absolutely non essential. What's your thoughts on that?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:33 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I've been buying LEDs for awhile. I'm not sure about the amount and quantity of choices for recessed and totally enclosed fixtures. Prices have been going down dramatically just this year and I've seen some in the $4-5 dollar range.
Energy efficiencies across the board always mean savings for consumers and businesses and a big weakening of the big utility companies and their obsolete models. They always resist off-grid and cogeneration approaches that promote consumer choice as well.
I understand all of that and I would have no problem using energy efficient bulbs......if they were safe to use in over 80% of the lighting fixtures in my house.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I understand all of that and I would have no problem using energy efficient bulbs......if they were safe to use in over 80% of the lighting fixtures in my house.
Why wouldn't they be? Energy saving lamps also produce less heat, which handles the main safety issue with lighting fixtures... not putting more heat into them than they were designed for.

Last edited by OpenD; 12-29-2013 at 01:20 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If that is your reasoning it's negligible affect for a variety of reasons starting with most of the mercury emissions from US coal plants are deposited outside of the US... at least according to the EPA.
Wait, so you're saying that it's OK for US power plants to emit toxic mercury pollution, as long as the majority of it leaves the country? So it can pollute the oceans and poison fish all over the world? That seems to me like a very weird spin on what the EPA actually says:

Quote:
Mercury is found in many rocks including coal. When coal is burned, mercury is released into the environment. Coal-burning power plants are the largest human-caused source of mercury emissions to the air in the United States, accounting for over 50 percent of all domestic human-caused mercury emissions (Source: 2005 National Emissions Inventory). EPA has estimated that about one quarter of U.S. emissions from coal-burning power plants are deposited within the contiguous U.S. and the remainder enters the global cycle. Burning hazardous wastes, producing chlorine, breaking mercury products, and spilling mercury, as well as the improper treatment and disposal of products or wastes containing mercury, can also release it into the environment. Current estimates are that less than half of all mercury deposition within the U.S. comes from U.S. sources.

Basic Information | Mercury | US EPA
Quote:
Now if you want to have a positive affect on mercury deposition rates lets go for the gold...literally. Ban gold jewelry, it's absolutely non essential. What's your thoughts on that?
And this is a straw man fallacy, trying to change the subject with an argument that has nothing to do with the topic.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:25 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Why wouldn't they be? Energy saving lamps also produce less heat, which is the main safety issue with lighting fixtures... not putting more heat into them than they were designed for.
I don't know.

All I know is that it says "DO NOT USE IN RECESSED OR ENCLOSED FIXTURES" right on the base of the bulbs.

It doesn't say why.

However, I do know that manufactures use warnings like that to protect themselves from liability....not a comforting thought in this instance.

After your house burns down: "Well, we TOLD you not to use that bulb in an enclosed fixture! It's printed in big, capital letters right on the bulb!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.