Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,443 times

Advertisements

If homosexual marriages are legal so is polygamy a Federal Judge rules. Read decision @ http://jonathanturley.files.wordpres...t-decision.pdf

Who didn't see this coming?

Followed by this:

Polygamy advocates hail judge's ruling in Utah
Quote:
December 14, 2013 - 7:04 PM
By MARTIN GRIFFITH, Associated Press

Advocacy groups for polygamy and individual liberties on Saturday hailed a federal judge's ruling that key parts of Utah's polygamy laws are unconstitutional, saying it will remove the threat of arrest for those families.
- See more at: Sister Wives: Judge Rules Key Parts of Utah Anti-Polygamy Law Unconstitutional | CNS News

Old 12-15-2013, 10:11 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,130,597 times
So what? If some fool wants more than one wife he is welcome to it...One wife is too many in my opinion.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
I don't really see this as a slippery slope as I see it as more of an extension of the argument in the big picture.

Why should I get to determine who or how many people one wants to marry?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Are they consenting adults? If so, then why should it matter?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
I have not read the 90+ page decision. However, from what I have read (from other sources) is that the law in question was written too broadly, such as making it illegal for even unmarried men and women to live together. It will be interesting to read the whole decision (which I hope to do in the next week, if possible).

Old 12-15-2013, 10:34 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
Can multiple women be married to each other and to a man at the same time?

Sounds really corporatist.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
If homosexual marriages are legal so is polygamy a Federal Judge rules. Read decision @ http://jonathanturley.files.wordpres...t-decision.pdf

Who didn't see this coming?

Followed by this:

Polygamy advocates hail judge's ruling in Utah

- See more at: Sister Wives: Judge Rules Key Parts of Utah Anti-Polygamy Law Unconstitutional | CNS News
The law in Utah forbid people from living together, not just obtaining multiple marriage licenses.

I thought the case below settled the polygamy angle 150 years ago.

Reynolds v. United States - 98 U.S. 145 (1878) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center

Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
Is Foghorn Leghorn a Mormon?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have not read the 90+ page decision. However, from what I have read (from other sources) is that the law in question was written too broadly, such as making it illegal for even unmarried men and women to live together. It will be interesting to read the whole decision (which I hope to do in the next week, if possible).
Good for them in not needing a paper from the government to prove their commitment and "marriage" to each other.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Accordingly, in Part II below the
court finds the Statute facially unconstitutional and therefore strikes the phrase “or cohabits with
another person” as a violation of the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the United
States Constitution and as without a rational basis under the Due Process Clause of the
Fourteenth Amendment, both in light of established Supreme Court precedent
So the cohabitation section was ruled unconstitutional. So far nothing about marriage.

Quote:
) Finally, outside of the briefing schedule ordered by the
court, Defendant filed a Reply (Dkt. No. 73) in which he, for the first time, provided academic
discussion about “social harms” arising from religious cohabitation in Utah, though no
admissible evidence was proffered with his Cross-Motion, Response, or Reply, or in oral
argument on the motions held on January 17, 2013.
No evidence was presented to show the "social harms" of cohabitation.

Quote:
Polygamy. Preliminarily, the court finds that “polygamy” fails to qualify as a
fundamental right under the Glucksberg analysis. In truth, the court disagrees with Defendant’s
assertion that Plaintiffs are arguing that the fundamental rights analysis (under Lawrence)
requires “the State to sanction their polygamous marriages.”
So the court ruled there is no fundamental right ot state sanctioned polygamy.

Quote:
To the contrary, “[t]he Browns have not questioned the right of the
state to limit its recognition of marriage and to prosecute those citizens who secure multiple
marriage licenses from the state.” But in the
interest of completeness on this issue of such acute importance in the State of Utah, the court
briefly considers actual “polygamy” under the Glucksberg framework before moving on to the
“carefully described” liberty interest in religious cohabitation that Plaintiffs are claiming.
And the Browns were not even asking for state sanctioned polygamous marriage, but the right to cohabitation.

Quote:
The court therefore finds that, as with assisted
suicide, no fundamental right exists under the Glucksberg framework to engage in polygamy;
that is, to enter into a second purportedly legal matrimonial union when already legally married.
Many people who currently practice “polygamy,” however, including Plaintiffs, do not have any
expectation that their purported marriages will be legally recognized even though they describe
their often religiously motivated cohabitation as “marriage,” “polygamy,” or “plural marriage.”
Still not arguing for state sanctioned polygamous marriage.

Quote:
The court finds the cohabitation prong of the Statute unconstitutional on numerous
grounds and strikes it. As a result, and to save the Statute, the court adopts the interpretation of
“marry” and “purports to marry,” and the resulting narrowing construction of the Statute, offered
by the dissent in State of Utah v. Holm, 2006 UT 31, ¶¶ 131-53, 137 P.3d 726, 758-66, thus
allowing the Statute to remain in force as prohibiting bigamy in the literal sense—the fraudulent or otherwise impermissible possession of two purportedly valid marriage licenses for the purpose
of entering into more than one purportedly legal marriage.
The court ruled that cohabitation is not illegal, but having more than one legal marriage at a time is illegal.
Sounds like a good judgement to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies