Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times

Advertisements

My tax dollars should not go to private schools. Properly fund the system. Change the curriculum to one best suited for the 21st century( good luck getting agreement on that). Pay teachers the amount needed so those that can teach will go into this field. All vouchers will do is bleed the system and separate the wealthy from the public system. Sure you have the claim that the poor will benefit, thats BS of the highest order. Remember your parents went to schools that were built in the 1930's which were replaced in the 1970's and 80's, so its time to replace again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 04:43 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I know there are very few who think the way I do, but I really would like to have the US school system privatized. .
Have you ever seen the documentary, "Waiting for Superman?"

Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Have you ever seen the documentary, "Waiting for Superman?"
BS documentary that blamed the teachers union.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
and if someone can't afford to send their kids to school, then what?
My thoughts exactly.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
I'm a product of the public school system. I have been school systems 50% of the time where the free/reduced lunch ratio was well over 40% (that means the student are from poorer neighborhoods). I was in those systems for 30-40% of my schooling.

It doesn't matter when you attend public school. Let's stop making excuses. The failures inherently starts from the individual. I hate seeing and hearing about all the stupid excuses people make about public schools. It's a sink or swim attitude one must make.

By the time you are 8-10 years old you should know what's the right thing to do. The system doesn't fail the kids. The kids fail the kids.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,429 times
try working in a poor urban area and you will see the majority do not care about their kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Your whole post seems to emphasize the poor and what horrible parents they are. You don't think these parents give a damn then think again. You think only the rich care about their kids

Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
So, you are denying the fact that income inequality is on the rise and to raise a household is taking spouses to work outside the home.

I know that the data is on my side, but feel free to prove that income inequality is decreasing, along with spouses working outside the home.

After all, you are home schooled.
It's been taking two incomes for many decades now to "raise" a household. Where have you been?

And, as far as so-called "income inequality" goes, it's a non-issue. If we had a president with policies that grew the economy instead of shrinking it, the opportunity created would increase the number of people moving up the income scale, and increasing their standard of living.

"Income inequality" is not the problem.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Already being done via a corporation HQed in India, apparently some military as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Lot to like about traditional apprenticeships. Certainly sounds better than outsourcing/offshoring "education" to India. The devil is always in the details as the saying goes.
CORE: Making Children Stupider Around The World | Stop Common Core Illinois
quote:
“CORE is India’s largest global education company with presence in US, UK, India, Singapore, Middle East, Hong Kong, Africa and the Caribbean”

The global agenda of the 21st century is set around economy and trade, with manufacturing shifting from the west to the east, employment landscape would immensely change at both ends. In order to sustain their economic growth, developed as well as developing economies need to intensify their human capital formation. Not surprising then, nations across the world are increasingly investing in education for continued development of their human capital, quantitatively as well as qualitatively…
Furthering its growth plans in India, it is aiming to set up Model Schools under Public Private Partnership model, participate in School Development Programs, intensify Teacher Training programs, and operate Vocational and Skill-based training centers.
For year 2009, the global spending on education was USD 3.93 trillion with US contributing just over a third of it at USD 1.33 trillion. Globally K-12 continues to be the largest segment forming close to half of the total education spend, followed by the higher education that is just over a third of the total market.
Core continued its strong growth momentum, in spite of global slowdown. During the financial year, the company’s revenue grew by an impressive 50.1% to `16,379 million ($16.3 billion)

Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Home schooling turns out better educated students than the public school system, and those who are home schooled consistently out score their public school counterparts on the standardized tests.

Ours consistently scored in the high 90 percentile.
Comparing scores to state wide or nationalized public school performance seems to be a low bar.

Why not compare and contrast to the highest achieving public schools?

Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Comparing scores to state wide or nationalized public school performance seems to be a low bar.

Why not compare and contrast to the highest achieving public schools?
MAM. Think you need to be more specific about your criteria. It is vague. HS is relatively new, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies